Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Made my own deoderant & IT WORKS GREAT!

I used this recipe
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/...deodorant.html
I followed the directions exactly but my experiment came out way to runny so I kept adding arrowroot and baking soda until I got the consistency she speaks of. This doubled the amount of arrowroot and baking soda. I also added TTO. I put it on tonight and it is very much caking on my skin. The typical caking you see with those white deoderants. Does this mean I made it right?

Also I have been detoxing my underarms for a few days using only lotion with TTO in it which actually worked pretty well considering it was only lotion. How many more days do think it will take to detox?

edited to add that now it is drying and flaking off...is it supposed to?

Advertisement

Last edited by TaraR; 04-13-2011 at 11:10 AM.
TaraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
nurse&mom23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Made my own deoderant & need to know if it is right

I have made my own Deo, and I love it. As for right, I guess if it works, it is right. I am at work, so I cant see what your recipe is, but mine was cakey and flakey too. My recipe was cornstarch, baking soda, mixed with coconut oil, and TTO until the mixture could be placed in a screw up tube (I used my old storebought Deo tube) and hold its form. I was shocked how well, the mixture worked, but for sure no black tank tops are in my future if I wear that deo all summer.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used nurs&moms recipe and it works great! I like my deo a slightly less firm consistency-kind of like thick lotion-and I just keep it in a little bowl in the bathroom and rub it on my pits as needed. I think this works better than the thicker stuff (which Ive tried)...at least for me...its more moisturizing.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you ladies! The mixture is very firm but I think I would like it a little less firm and easier to rub in with out so much friction. Do you think I can add more CO today or is it to late to add more?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
mrsashleyo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Go ahead and add more. My first batch was also hard and flaky so I warmed it up a bit and added more co. Also I found if I put it on slower it warms the co up and spreads easier.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did add more CO and love it now It is solid in the jar but melts in my fingers so I appy it like a lotion. IT WORKS GREAT!!! I am a heavy sweater and didn't think I could ever do anything else but chemical but I was WRONG. I still sweat but maybe a bit less I think. The heat of summer has yet to hit so we will see how it works when it is 105 with a heat index of 115. Even my DH is using it now! I am trying to get my son, 11yo to use it as well.
I did find the baking soda irritates my skin a tad if I put it on right after shaving so instead I apply plain CO and wait a few hours before putting on the mix.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Made my own deoderant & IT WORKS GREAT!

I'm going to try this out I'm one who was getting rashes from the baking soda, but it may be due to when I was applying it.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definatly try adding more CO to the mix. You can always add more CO and arrowroot thus reducing the quantity of the baking soda per application. Try putting the CO on right after shaving to soothe the skin before applying the deoderant mix. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Dutchlish
Registered Users
Formerly: MWally29
seller

I want to try this, too!! I get baking soda irritation as well. Bummer because otherwise it works great for me!
M. - married to my best friend J. since 2006 ~ liberal, semi-crunchy, vegetarian, babywearing, CDing, Extended RFing, ER RN mama to my greatest loves B. (9/2008), C. (5/2010) and V. (9/2012) and A.(7/2014). Always missing the ones we didn't get to hold.
Dutchlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
SonomaMom
Registered Users
seller

I make my own deoderant too. It's a slightly different recipe than the one you linked too, but very similar. It looks like the one I use is more solid...maybe? I've been using it for about 2.5 years and love it!
http://asonomagarden.wordpress.com/2...ant-i-love-it/
SonomaMom is offline   Reply With Quote