Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to tell my parents who wont be happy?

Ideas. Honestly I am scared. When I told them about my 3rd. The first words out of my dads mouth " your dh better get a vasectomy". Nice eh? Just what I wanted to hear.
They weren't very happy and now pg with my fourth.. Well I am considering telling them email bc rude comments will be forever etched in my head.
Suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to tell my parents who wont be happy?

Is not telling them an option? Can you just wait until you're showing and someone asks? Otherwise I say email is just fine. I told the people who I knew would be happy for us, and the rest read about it on facebook. I did get some comments from my grandparents for doing it that way, but I knew they wouldn't be happy so why would I want to call and have a live conversation with them about it?
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
caterpaisley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Agreed. If they have nothing good to say about it, don't set yourself up for another painful encounter. An e-mail is enough if you think they should know before you're showing. I'm sorry they are not more supportive. I just finally told my parents today about my first and my mother said she already suspected it. While she was supportive, it does seem like there is less need for commentary when they figure it out on their own.
caterpaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
ashmomof4
Registered Users
seller

I cannot comprehend a grandparent disgusted at the idea of a grandchild. If you know their reaction is going to be bad, I'd probably be tempted to email them, and make it clear you don't want to hear from them until they can be excited.
ashmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
nannabean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What about prefacing the announcement with a bit of warning. "I know last time were weren't thrilled, but I wanted you to know first". That way they can maybe see that their reaction stuck with you and think before they speak this time.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Nikki*lala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think an email is fine too, Sorry that is how you have to do it Congratulations!!!!

We are going to TTC soon and I told my DH NOT to tell my parents!! we told his mom but I will wait to tell them when we are and it wont be right away!! cause I dont want to hear it!! good luck
Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I'll be telling my Dad through an email. I don't have that great of a relationship with him and when I told him about DD, he just shrugged and said I am too young. So, yeah, I'll be emailing him.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannabean
What about prefacing the announcement with a bit of warning. "I know last time were weren't thrilled, but I wanted you to know first". That way they can maybe see that their reaction stuck with you and think before they speak this time.
I like this. I think they just feel "done" as grandparents. This will be grandbaby 14 for them.

They have the usual concerns. We can't afford it. But we support our kids and live with in our means.

I see them regularly. I am 6 wks. Hope I can hide this another month. When I tell them I will be ready to go public.

Would be easier if they lived farther away.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
lyndie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like this idea. they can & should keep their unsupportive comments to themselves. an email will give them time to get over their initial reaction & respond appropriately to you.

congrats!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmomof4 View Post
I cannot comprehend a grandparent disgusted at the idea of a grandchild. If you know their reaction is going to be bad, I'd probably be tempted to email them, and make it clear you don't want to hear from them until they can be excited.
lyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #10
Angel89411
Banned

My mom had a poor reaction to my last pregnancy too (and it was only my second!) I started this one off with "I want to let you know that my husband and I are very happy about this..." Of course, last time I bit her head off for being negative about it since it has no impact on her life at all. I think she also still felt guilty that it ended badly.

I agree with others. Send an email. Make it clear y'all are happy and if they have anything negative to say, you don't wanna hear it. This has nothing to do with them.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote