Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
my4blessings
Registered Users
Formerly: my3kiddos
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me learn to housekeep?

I have 4 kids and am grad student, so things sometimes fall to the wayside, but I get stressed out if my house isn't clean. My kids are also old enough to help out now, too, so they have chores. But...

*I sweep and mop every night after the kids go to bed. We have white tile floors all downstairs (which I HATE) and 2 dogs. So that is something that grosses me out if it isn't done.
*I vacuum upstairs once a week (dogs do not go upstairs).
*I do (at least) one load of laundry everyday (with 4 kids we have lots of laundry). I strip bed linens every other week...my bed and dd3's bed one week, the older 3 kids' beds the other week.
*Bathrooms are cleaned once a week.
*Kitchen is cleaned daily (for the most part )
*Toys are all picked up before kids go to bed.
*Fridge gets cleaned out bi-monthly, as I prepare my grocery list.
*Windows get washed as I get to it!
*Baseboards get cleaned twice a year.
*I clean out closets and dressers as seasons change. We usually have a garage sale every spring.

Keeping a house clean is a full time job when their is a little one in the house all the time!

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
CJsNatureMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ohhh...A year of cleaning would be grand! What awesome parents you have!

I'm terrible about keeping the house clean. I hate laundry and I hate doing dishes. Everything else gets cleaned up daily without a problem. It's easy to incorporate putting toys away with playing with my DD. Not so much with washing dishes. I usually have to wait until DH gets home from work and try to wash them while I cook dinner, but that of course, leaves the dishes left over from dinner. It sucks. My DD is a very light sleeper and we live in an old house so she wakes up if I try to do too much during nap time.

If you figure it out, let me know! A lack of motivation MAY have something to do with it, too...
Old 04-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
Jleigh8289
Registered Users
seller

I am so bad at this. Spent the first half of my life in a dump and the second in a kingdom of perfection. Unfortunately the dump part has overruled the perfection part. I need to learn to do better to cuz my family deserves it, but I'm so lazy I can barely keep up the a list (if I even make one). I like the idea of a small list and then adding to it. I just have so many other things I'd rather be doing...
Jleigh8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #14
diazalling23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i love that you asked this! i grew up with a maid (i know very lucky) but i don't have the benefit of being able to afford one now and with a toddler around and one on the way I really want to try to be a neater person. I just don't know where to start. I'm not dirty, i just have clutter that i just need to get out, plus its so hard to keep up with the cleaning behind my little lady.
diazalling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #15
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki View Post
LOL, he is much more of a neat freak than I am, but we agreed that we wanted to have a more 50's family dynamic - I want to be the wife in a pinafore with a vacuum in one hand and the pot roast on the table
Are you really sure that even happened in the 1950's? I am such the bad wife.. that will never happen in our house.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jleigh8289 View Post
I am so bad at this. Spent the first half of my life in a dump and the second in a kingdom of perfection. Unfortunately the dump part has overruled the perfection part. I need to learn to do better to cuz my family deserves it, but I'm so lazy I can barely keep up the a list (if I even make one). I like the idea of a small list and then adding to it. I just have so many other things I'd rather be doing...
DITTO to the bolded! Growing up I never really had to do any chores. Well, I was supposed to but I either did them the wrong way or gave my mother grief about it so she eventually just sent me outside to play. I was fine with that. Back then!! I can't tell you how many times I have made a list and vowed to stick to it. Then for some reason I just don't. Time for another one? Maybe...but first, outside to play!
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I basically just do minimum maintenance (if anything). My daily priorities are picking up toys at least once towards the end of the day, doing dishes, and doing laundry. The laundry and dishes don't always get done. I have to admit I can be a bit on the lazy side too. It's just so monotonous. Anyway, we can live with that. I try to sweep and vacuum once a week and mop at least every other week and do the bathrooms, clean out the fridge regularly (but I don't have a schedule per se). Give yourself a break, do the best you can. NO judgement here!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #18
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I enjoy having a clean house, and it's definitely important on my list of priorities. I break the cleaning into different days, so it's not overwhelming. I spend maybe an hour a day on actual cleaning, if that much. Here's my cleaning schedule:

Monday - clean all three bedrooms. This includes wash bed linens, vacuum floors, dust furniture, wash windows, cleaning baseboards with the vacuum hose, dust ceiling fans, etc etc.
Tuesday - clean both bathrooms. This includes the obvious stuff (washing counters, sinks, mirrors, bathtubs, etc), as well as sanitizing the floors and cleaning baseboards with the vacuum hose.
Wednesday - clean living room and hallway. This includes sweeping/mopping floors, dusting furniture, vacuuming sofa/loveseat, cleaning baseboards with the vacuum hose, etc etc.
Thursday - clean kitchen. This includes cleaning out pantry and fridge/freezer, cleaning oven/microwave, etc etc.

I do light cleaning (aka "picking up" after the family) throughout the day. I do laundry as needed, usually one load a day, sometimes more.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #19
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.timms View Post
I enjoy having a clean house, and it's definitely important on my list of priorities. I break the cleaning into different days, so it's not overwhelming. I spend maybe an hour a day on actual cleaning, if that much. Here's my cleaning schedule:

Monday - clean all three bedrooms. This includes wash bed linens, vacuum floors, dust furniture, wash windows, cleaning baseboards with the vacuum hose, dust ceiling fans, etc etc.
Tuesday - clean both bathrooms. This includes the obvious stuff (washing counters, sinks, mirrors, bathtubs, etc), as well as sanitizing the floors and cleaning baseboards with the vacuum hose.
Wednesday - clean living room and hallway. This includes sweeping/mopping floors, dusting furniture, vacuuming sofa/loveseat, cleaning baseboards with the vacuum hose, etc etc.
Thursday - clean kitchen. This includes cleaning out pantry and fridge/freezer, cleaning oven/microwave, etc etc.

I do light cleaning (aka "picking up" after the family) throughout the day. I do laundry as needed, usually one load a day, sometimes more.
Whoa! You get these daily chores done in only an hour??? I'm impressed.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #20
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justineybean View Post
Whoa! You get these daily chores done in only an hour??? I'm impressed.
I'm pretty quick, and it helps that my house isn't huge. LOL. It takes a little more than an hour on Monday, when I have three bedrooms to clean. But I find that by doing a thorough cleaning on each room once a week, it stays relatively clean, making it easier to clean. Does that make sense?