Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #21
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me learn to housekeep?

I am so bad at this. I am working part time so I am even worse. I am willing to go without certain things to pay for folks to come once every two weeks and give the house a rub down. SIGH. I know that is ridiculous, but there it is. Right now, I am trying to go through every room and clean out and get rid of everything we don't need. That should help us stay a little more organized around this dump.

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #22
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so bad at this. I am working part time so I am even worse. I am willing to go without certain things to pay for folks to come once every two weeks and give the house a rub down. SIGH. I know that is ridiculous, but there it is. Right now, I am trying to go through every room and clean out and get rid of everything we don't need. That should help us stay a little more organized around this dump.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #23
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

A tip I use when I have no motivation is to set a timer for 15 mins and do whatever is needed. Usually by the time the alarm goes off I continue til the job is done or have the motivation to work on something else! I am horrible at filing paperwork/bills, organizing clutter, and cleaning the bathrooms, so this trick works well with those tasks!

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #24
maeus
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
http://www.flylady.net/

Maybe try this?
Yes! You can follow her "routine" or adjust it to suit you and your family. Our bathrooms always look clean because they are wiped down each day (usually haha) and it takes like 5 minutes. I was the same way with housecleaning until I got married. Wake up call! Flylady has helped me so much!
maeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #25
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm horrible at this now, but when I was on leave I had a pretty solid routine. Each day of the week had a single chore (e.g. Clean bathrooms, laundry, clean floors, etc.). Once that chore was done, so was I, other than mealtimes and dishes at the end of the night. It motivated me to complete the chore early, and I'd often continue tidying throughout the day, but I wouldn't feel guilty if the only other thing I did was go out for a walk and coffee.

Now though, both DH and I work full time, I'm also taking online classes, and I'm pregnant, so I'm often too busy or exhausted to get anything done.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #26
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.timms View Post
I'm pretty quick, and it helps that my house isn't huge. LOL. It takes a little more than an hour on Monday, when I have three bedrooms to clean. But I find that by doing a thorough cleaning on each room once a week, it stays relatively clean, making it easier to clean. Does that make sense?
Yes, that definitely makes sense!
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #27
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love motivated moms check list. Usually I can get most of the daily stuff done in a half an hour. Without a list I have a tendoncy to not see the grime until its horrid and then it takes forever to clean. When I keep up on the list cleaning goes super fast because grime hasn't had a chance to build up. I tried flylady and failed miserably.
http://www.motivatedmoms.com/products.html
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #28
Gitrecca
Registered Users

I have been pretty horrible this pregnancy due to being so sick, and now so pregnant! But, before that (and hopefully soon after she's born) I was doing really well with chore charts from donnayoung.org. I redid them to reflect what I thought was important (and took away a bunch of her stuff that was too overwhelming). I like it better than fly lady, as fly lady was just WAY too overwhelming, although I do still use her ideas for some things like sink shining! Every time I try to do fly lady I give up, but my Mom loves her. I love lists. I know it's childish, but being able to mark off things as I do them really does motivate me.

This thread is making me want to get off my 39-week-pregnant bum and get some cleaning done!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #29
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So, a week in and things are going pretty well! I followed alot of advice from all of you, and came up with strict tasks for each day of the week. I clean during DDs morning nap, then still have some "me" time during her afternoon nap.

The funniest thing is how conscientious DH and I have suddenly become! We take our dishes right to the sink, put toys away before leaving the room, put laundry in the hamper instead of on the bathroom floor, read the mail over the garbage can...

We don't have a spotless home, and life will get tougher when DD shifts to one nap, but I'm definitely keeping the house "guest-worthy" from day to day - YAY!

I also feel alot better about cleaning now that it's in manageable chunks, and I feel really good when DH compliments me on keeping everything so neat
Old 04-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #30
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:

I pick things up all day long.. I don't really have a moment to sit and go ahh. LOL.

Clean kitchen every day all day it seems... First thing in the AM I put dishes up from the day before and start a load of laundry (I do this before I'm really even all the way awake) the kids are normally eating breakfast... I then get myself ready, and while doing so wipe down the bathroom and clean it up a bit... Then make all beds, and straighten up anything that needs it in the rooms... Close doors behind myself no one goes in their rooms the rest of the day... Then clean up kitchen that the kids messed up from breakfast.. living room does not get cleaned till end of the day, when all toys get put up.. Kids do that part though.. When they are being bathed I vacuum floors and mop... Fold laundry thru the day... and put away.

We live in a 1000 sq ft house, so not much room, and not much clutter, I don't keep things out, and I'm 100% against paper clutter... Everything has a place, and it goes right back in that place right away... Dishes go in sink once you are done eating, no eating anywhere else in the house except kitchen... We have a rule you bring it out you put it up...
TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote