Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
formula? milk? sippy cups? oh my....

For a 17 month old, how important is it that they get formula or milk every day? I have no more breastmilk, we tried cow's milk, but DS seemed to get sick more often, so we went back to formula for his bottles- he gets 3 7 ounce bottles a day (when he gets up, before naptime, and before night-night time). He'll drink water or juice from a sippy cup during the day. Other than comfort and habit, does he still need his bottles of formula? Are food and water only ok at this age? These may be silly questions, but I'm trying to pick apart conventional pediatrician advice from reality... Thanks in advance to all the wise and experienced Mama's who can help.

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: formula? milk? sippy cups? oh my....

they just need "dairy" each day...it doesn't have to be milk... its can be yogurt, cheese, ice cream, etc... you want to try and get atleat 2 servings of some sort of "dairy" in...
christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nope, you can replace milk with other dairy and other forms of calcium... cheese, yogurt, broccoli, calcium fortified orange juice, etc. Just one slice of american cheese has roughly the same nutritional value as 8 ounces of milk and 4 ounces of yogurt is pretty close to it.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I asked my ped about milk - I wa sworried about all the antibiotics and such in it - she said she usually advises that kids that age drink milk, but usually just b/c it's a convenient way for them to get the necessary protein and vitamins. You can provide those things through other means, like yogurt, cheese, etc. If cows milk won't fly, could you try soy or goat milk? Formula is just so expensive...
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:50 PM   #5
earthybirthymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ironic the ad on this page is for horizon organic lol!

I'd say water is fine, just make sure he's getting proper amounts of calcium. If you go the route of soy milk make sure its NON-GMO (otherwise there are LOADS of hormones in it). It should be listed on the side of the carton whether its NON-GMO or not!

earthybirthymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:06 AM   #6
milehighmonkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: ultconsumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthybirthymom View Post
Ironic the ad on this page is for horizon organic lol!
I think there must be some keyword engine or function that selects the ads. This isn't the first topic I've seen with an "appropriate" ad at the bottom.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:46 AM   #7
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lots of really healthy kids are dairy free. Theres a book "don't drink your milk" or something like that. I don't LET toddlers drink cows milk (but my older kids use it on cereal and do sometimes drink it)
water and food is fine
Old 03-26-2007, 03:59 AM   #8
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ah- thank you mama's!! DS loves his yogurt and cottage cheese- so the servings of dairy aren't gonna be the problem- it's getting him to give up the bottles.... I have such a strong willed son- get's that from his father
We'll begin to work on it. The formula is so VERY expensive- we only started with that supplementing because I had some major breastfeeding problems when he was little....long story... Thanks for the answers!!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:07 AM   #9
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
If cows milk won't fly, could you try soy or goat milk? Formula is just so expensive...
My naturalpath suggested to stay away from soymilk for DS so I've not headed that route...
We tried the Myenburg goat milk before formula- DS would drink it, but he was so gassy- I'm sure that's because of the processing. I tried it once Has anyone else tried it??
Old 03-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #10
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

maybe your ds is lactose intolerant? All 3 of my girls were to some extent (#1 was okay after 1yr, #2 was until she was 5.5yrs! #3 was till 21mos) try Lactaid
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote