Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
alix
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Good NB to Toddler wrap?

I was originally set on a sleepy wrap because of its rep as a good first timer wrap and liked the idea of minimal adjusting once it is tied on. I hear it is GREAT for newborns but not the best choice for the entirety of babywearing years. With some of the deals on DS and TBW I can get a 'high end' wrap for slightly more that a new sleepy, so why wouldn't I?

What other wraps are super snuggly for NBs and will still be perfect for the following few years? I am thinking woven or woven hybrid. Is it possible to have a wrap tied on you that you can just put baby in and out of as needed with minimal adjusting or is it better to just re wrap and tie each time? Also what is a good length for the most variations of carrying? I am having a May baby so a lighter breathable fabric would be best. I would love to have several types but due to budget can probably only afford one. What is your go to wrap?

Advertisement

alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Ashlovespat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Good NB to Toddler wrap?

I'm a totally newbie when it comes to wrapping, so my advice is minimal. But I would definitely go with a woven, they are just more supportive for older kids, but work completely fine for newbies too! I hear that you are still able to pop babies in and out with wovens, as well...I just have never tried it. I have 3 wraps...a gauze wrap, then a Girasol and a Natibaby. The Natibaby is thinner than the Girasol, and I like it more (more for it's colors, but I really like how it wraps too!!). The gauze will be the thinnest of the woven wraps (if it's even really considered woven?? It seems, to me, that some do, and some consider it "it's own class")...but can take more precision when wrapping, and may not be as supportive for larger toddlers, I guess...it's the only thing I've wrapped my toddlers in, so far, so I can't really tell but it seemed like I needed a bit more support for them (they are 23 and 24lbs each)...but could have also just needed the wrap tightened up a bit too (I've attempted wrapping with my other wraps, but hadn't achieved it correctly, yet...the gauze, when I tried it out the day I got it, was the first time I was able to get a back wrap that looked correct!). Hope that at least gives you a little bit of insight for you though! I'm sure some more experienced wrappers will chime in here at some point.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
mamayogibear
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love my Didy Yew size3 for my son when he was nb and my dd who is 3. My other wovens just don't seem as secure on my wigly 3yo!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
alix
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I might try a gypsy mama wrap. Any opinions on either the bali breeze or bali stretch? I love the look and reviews of the didymos but not the price tag. If wrapping becomes my thing, though, I will have to start saving up. What is a good length for a wrap? I want to be able to wrap it a few different ways, mostly front carry, because I am not so confident trying a back carry yet.
alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Looooove my Didy Kupfer with linen! It is light, yet sturdy. Linen is cool in the hot weather, yet supportive.
Here is my noob in it just this morning!
Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
cinderella08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I second something with Linen. A 40% or even 55% will be amazingly supportive, cool, and soft.
Expecting Oakley Lennon in March 2015!
cinderella08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
paxbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Stephanie, thank GOODNESS I'm about to pop with #6 because OH MY GOODNESS, that face! Welcome, Sullivan

alix, the length of the wrap needed depends on your height/ weight (if you want to PM me ) and the stretch Gypsymama wrap will really only be supportive enough for a baby up to 18-20 pounds! After that you'd need to upgrade, but depending on how fast your baby gets that big, it could last you a good year or more! I looove the Bali Breeze especially for summer babywearing, however the learning curve is harder because the gauze fabric is not as forgiving as a standard stretchy and you will have issues with pressure points unless you wrap smoothly! The gauze Bali Breeze will last you a few more pounds, up to 25-30 pounds if you are wrapping really well and securely

HELP? Rent a carrier or 2 @ PAXbaby's Sling Exchange *happy babywearing*
paxbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
baturay
Registered Users
seller

Hi Stephanie! I just love your picture - so beautiful.

Alix there are sooo many choices to be honest of wraps you can get that are good for newborns to toddler. If you're only getting one and only one though I would get a supportive wrap that you can wear year around. And with your climate in New Mexico you have a lot of options. Personally, as mostly a wrapper, I'm not a big fan of gauze. It's just to me not the most optimal fabric for wrapping. I prefer wraps that are weaved specifically for carrying a child and are more supportive. Though gauze is really good for very hot summers, but for heavier toddlers, compared to other woven wraps it's not my first choice. Seriously though you have so many options I could pretty much just give you a long list of wraps you can get. Don't get too caught up (like wrappers tend to get...me included) on the little details like I must have this or that because it's the latest most talked about wrap or the or the hard-to-find wrap thinking that it's the only one that will work. Easy to find and affordable wraps that will work (check FSOT on TBW too) are - Didymos with linen, BBslen (yes even for toddlers), Girasol, Storch (workhorse wraps), Vatanai (year around wrap - but get the print vs. the stripes), Dolcino...just to get you started.
Giselle, mama to 3 and blissfully expecting #4...and #5 in May!
Green Baby Educator, CLE, API Leader & Homeschooling Mama
Are you a Southern CA mama? Visit Granola Babies in person.
Find a Babywearing Group near you.

baturay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
padronalisa
Registered Users

there are plenty of affordable didymos and girasol wraps on fsot for $70-90 that would last from nb to toddlerhood. bb slens are good too and most other brands. i would just get a woven, because once baby gets heavy its worth every penny over gauze or stretchy wraps
Old 04-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #10
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ellaroo