Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
*UPDATE post#1*Tell me about your experience with complete placenta previa

I just found out (13 weeks) and am getting all different things thrown at me. This could happen, this is what you should do etc etc. I'm overwhelmed. I'd love to hear how it turned out for other mamas.

Thanks!!

Update 5/3

I went in for my 16 week u/s today because my midwife wanted to see exactly how much of the placenta was covering the os. In THREE WEEKS time, my complete placenta previa is GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. She said it's "low lying" now, but it will move and is not on any part of the cervix. I am so so so so happy!

I'd had a lot more spotting than before I kept hoping it was because it was moving. Then when dh and I dtd the other night (my midwife said it was okay) I didn't have any spotting which I thought was weird. I guess it was just moving!!! ANyway, wanted to update.

Advertisement

Last edited by kimmiepie; 05-03-2011 at 08:28 PM.
kimmiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your experience with complete placenta previa

I had partial at 8 weeks, and "grew out of it" hopefully as you get bigger, it will move off your cervix!
Otherwise, they watch you for bleeding, and schedule your c-section
Old 04-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I had partial, but almost completely covered placenta previa at 18 weeks and it moved by 25 weeks, somewhere around there. I never had bleeding or any issues with it though.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

13 weeks is just too early to say anything I think. I really hope it moves! I had marginal placenta previa with my second and it moved a lot by 36 weeks...
Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

Yes, a huge percentages of placenta will be all or partially covering the os at 13 weeks. The uterus is just not big enough yet. Many practitioners will not even diagnose a previa that early. I think I read in another thread that you are having some bleeding? With this pregnancy I had a complete (also diagnoesed at 12 weeks because of bleeding). It stayed complete until around 28 weeks. Now it is just far enough from the OS to allow for a vaginal delivery. I did have regular, fairly heavy bleeding up until 20 weeks but to be honest, I was a bit relieved because I knew why I was bleeding. It wasn't that scary unknown.

If you are bleeding you do need to be on pelvic rest and limit your strenuous activity. Because of the frequency and amount of my bleeding I was on complete pelvic rest, had a 10 lb lifting restriction, and was told to pretty much stay on the couch as much of the day as I could. I actually followed the rules pretty closely. The way it was explained to me, there really isn't any evidence to say staying off your feet makes a difference but most people would feel less traumatized if they had a major bleed while on their couch then if they were doing something like carrying furniture up the stairs. You'd beat yourself up a LOT worse for that. Pelvic rest on the otherhand is a must. Anything going in there could cause a bleed.

I would bet yours will move in plenty of time for it not to be an issue, the vast majority do. In the mean time, take it easy and keep everything out of there.

RN/CNM Student/SAHM to Maggie 03-23-06,
Nora 04-06-09, and Ben 05-03-11
meganne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganne79 View Post
Yes, a huge percentages of placenta will be all or partially covering the os at 13 weeks. The uterus is just not big enough yet. Many practitioners will not even diagnose a previa that early. I think I read in another thread that you are having some bleeding? With this pregnancy I had a complete (also diagnoesed at 12 weeks because of bleeding). It stayed complete until around 28 weeks. Now it is just far enough from the OS to allow for a vaginal delivery. I did have regular, fairly heavy bleeding up until 20 weeks but to be honest, I was a bit relieved because I knew why I was bleeding. It wasn't that scary unknown.

If you are bleeding you do need to be on pelvic rest and limit your strenuous activity. Because of the frequency and amount of my bleeding I was on complete pelvic rest, had a 10 lb lifting restriction, and was told to pretty much stay on the couch as much of the day as I could. I actually followed the rules pretty closely. The way it was explained to me, there really isn't any evidence to say staying off your feet makes a difference but most people would feel less traumatized if they had a major bleed while on their couch then if they were doing something like carrying furniture up the stairs. You'd beat yourself up a LOT worse for that. Pelvic rest on the otherhand is a must. Anything going in there could cause a bleed.

I would bet yours will move in plenty of time for it not to be an issue, the vast majority do. In the mean time, take it easy and keep everything out of there.
I am sooooo happy to read this!!! I have been trying to find out what I can online and I went over to MDC. I kept reading all these horror stories about hysterectomies, hemmorghing, accretta, early emergency c-sections etc. I've been freaking myself out.
I pray that this is what will happen to me. Thank you!!!!!

Yes, I have had brown spotting about 6 times during this pregnancy. Totally random brown spotting that goes away after the first "batch". So it's not bad yet. My midwife has said I don't need pelvic rest unless I start red bleeding, but we are being more safe than sorry and trying to take it easy etc.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
sushidoc
Registered Users

I had a complete previa diagnosed around 18 weeks. My mother is an OB and was very worried because she has personally seen very scary complications in these situations (however I don't know how common the complications are) and she did say that the current statistics has a very low maternal death rate with this complication. I had two more ultrasounds after the diagnosis - the second one confirmed a complete and the third one (around 32 weeks) was completely normal - not even considered low lying!! The doctors seemed pretty shocked at expressed that partial previas often move, but completes rarely do.... Just my experience.... Good luck
sushidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you. Did you ever have any bleeding/spotting with yours? Did you do anything special...pelvic rest etc?

I'm wondering if there's any info online about how to naturally encourage the placenta to move up. I know that it's actually the uterus that moves, but I also read that the placenta "migrates" toward areas with more blood supply..ie up instead of down. Someone mentioned massaging the upper part of the uterus might help, acupuncture etc. Does anyone know of any resources for info on this type of thing? I looked but didn't find much. Just scary stuff.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://dou-la-la.blogspot.com/2011/0...gnosis-of.html

Dou-la-la blog has two parts so far describing her experience with an early-diagnosed placenta previa.

Ditto what the others said- your uterus has a lot of growing to do, and it will most likely move and not cause any problems during labor.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you Sara! Loved reading that. Can't wait for the next part.