Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #11
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about your experience with complete placenta previa

you're welcome I hope you don't have to wait too long for the rest of the story

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

My story is unique, because due to some crazy reason, my complete previa wasn't discovered until I delivered. It is not a positive story, but my son and I are here today, so the end result wasn't that bad.

When I was pregnant with DS, I had numerous bright red bleeding episodes from week 11 to week 30 ish. Every time I bled I had an u/s, by numerous techs and doctors, and everyone said I was fine, they couldn't see a reason for the bleeding. However, b/c I had recently suffered a m/c, the doc wasn't taking any chances and put me on pelvic rest for my entire pregnancy and told me to limit my exercise and activity. At 36.5 weeks, I had another bright red bleeding episode. It was a fair amount, so I immediately went to L&D. They gave me another u/s, specifically looked at the placenta, and told me it was just the bloody show and that I should rest and not leave the house until my appointment a week later.

***The next part is a bit graphic***

At 37w4d, one day before my next appt, I was standing at home when I felt a big gush. I thought it was my water breaking, but when I looked down, my pants were soaked with blood. We rushed to the hospital, where they gave me another u/s, at which point the doc said the placenta was blocking the cervix and tearing loose as I started to dilate. They wheeled me to the OR and had me sign a consent for a hysterectomy in case they couldn't stop the bleeding.

They were able to stop the bleeding and I did not need the hysterectomy. DS was born and spent 9 days in the NICU with lung issues. The doc came in to see me the next morning and apologized. He said they should have caught the previa in the earlier u/s, and I was lucky that DS and I didn't die. He told me that if they had seen it I would have been sent to Germany (I was at a military hospital in Italy) where they had better resources to handle emergency situations and put on hospital bed rest b/c of all of the bleeding episodes.

It's been almost 6 years and despite his rough start, DS is a very healthy active little boy.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #13
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so sorry Jac. What a terrible experience. I'm so glad everything turned out okay!!

Question: I've been reading a lot about people having random and sudden bleeds. How do they stop the bleeding once you get to the hospital?
Old 04-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

My bleeding always stopped on its own. I think if you have major bleeds they put you in the hospital because if they don't stop quickly, they have to deliver. My doctor said that what saved me and DS was that I clotted, which allowed me time to get to the hospital and not lose too much blood. With all the activity once I got to the hospital I started to bleed again and that's when they rolled me to the OR.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
mommyria2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had complete placenta previa diagnosed at 20 weeks and it stayed there . I was getting ultrasounds every month until the last trimester then it was like every other week. At 32.5 weeks I had some spotting, a couple hours after my baby shower, and I went to the hospital and they put me on bedrest. That sucked a lot. That was on Sunday night. I had an US on Monday, by then no more bleeding, and they said my fluid was low so they pumped me full of iv fluids and just hung out for a few days. I had another US on Thursday morning - I think the dr didn't look at something, don't remember what. Anyway, they said given that my fluid was still low, the baby's growth had slowed and the placement of the blood vessels in the placenta (right above my cervix) they recommended that I deliver. By 330 I delivered my son by c/s at 33 weeks 2 days. He was 4lbs 8oz and 17 in long. We had a month long nicu stay but that's a whole other story....

13 weeks is still pretty early so the placenta can still move and I wish you the best. I really hope I don't have to go through it again. Just know that when they tell you to take it easy and don't exercise they mean it. Your placenta is a lot weaker in the section that's over your cervix and it doesn't take much to start some bleeding.

GL mama
Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #16
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Hi Kim – like everyone else has said, a LOT of migration can happen over the next several months!! Many placentas cover the cervical os at the point in pregnancy where you are.

I did have a complete previa with my second child, meaning that my entire cervix was covered by the placenta. At 20 weeks (when I had my anatomy ultrasound) it was centered over my cervix, but by 38 weeks (when he was born) it had moved it quite a bit. Alas, not enough that it wasn't still blocking "the exit." My midwife, who attended my cesarean to be with me, remarked that blood vessels were all over my cervix inside the womb and that it was a "big mess."

Complete previas tend to bleed less than partial ones, because with partials, the edges of the placenta can lift up a bit like the curling edges of paper. These are more likely to bleed a bit, but complete ones often go by uneventfully. I did have a couple of brown bleeding episodes between 21-24 weeks which landed me on bed rest (ranging from complete to modified) through the rest of my pregnancy. It was a drag, but the up-side was making it to full term, which honestly doesn't happen all that often with PP. I was very fortunate. TAKE IT EASY!! Try to avoid lifting your kids if you can.

Best of luck to you!
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #17
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had 2. (last 2 babies) one was a partial and one was a full. both resolved but the full placenta had only moved a few centimeters. I had a long labor w that baby as my cervix could not pull up fully w the placenta being so low. I still had a homebirth and I am thankful the placenta did move.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #18
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepie View Post
I am so sorry Jac. What a terrible experience. I'm so glad everything turned out okay!!

Question: I've been reading a lot about people having random and sudden bleeds. How do they stop the bleeding once you get to the hospital?
First, really stop reading stories about bleeding LOL! You are only going to freak yourself out, trust me I did that. The bleeding will most often stop on its own. If you truely end up with an uncontrolled hemmorage, they will need to deliver the baby to stop the bleeding. Uncontrolled hemmorages are really rare though and generally don't occur until the 3rd trimester. Generally what I've seen in my experience, one big bleed (and you will know what I mean if you have a big bleed cause it is big) is ok if it stops. With a second big bleed you will most likely be admitted to the hospital and stay there until you deliver or the previa resolves. Different practices have different "rules" but this is generally what I've seen.

With my bleeding what I was told is that I would know if it was too much but to always call if I was concerned. Spotting, even period like bleeding is ok but if you are bleeding like a heavy period (or more) and it isn't stopping, call your doc or go in.

If you have a relatively uncomplicated pregnancy they will schedule a section most likely right at 37 weeks (though several mamas on here have stretched that out to 38 or 39).

I'm sure yours will move mama! Really, the vast, vast majority (even complete ones) do move.

RN/CNM Student/SAHM to Maggie 03-23-06,
Nora 04-06-09, and Ben 05-03-11
meganne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #19
kulaswifeandmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know how severe my placenta previa was.. The ultrasound tech only wrote in the report, "Placenta is covering cervix". That was at 18 weeks. To have a vaginal birth your placenta needs to be 2cm away from the cervix. Had an ultrasound at 27 weeks and it had moved almost 6cm away! Pray about it and just envision your placenta moving. That's what I did, and it worked!
& Emris (6/27/11) Pregnant with #5, a boy! Due 11/10/14
kulaswifeandmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all these awesome replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
My bleeding always stopped on its own. I think if you have major bleeds they put you in the hospital because if they don't stop quickly, they have to deliver. My doctor said that what saved me and DS was that I clotted, which allowed me time to get to the hospital and not lose too much blood. With all the activity once I got to the hospital I started to bleed again and that's when they rolled me to the OR.
See this is what scares me. You said you clotted, but I have a tendency to bleed after birth ("boggy uterus") and I'm afraid that when I do start bleeding I won't make it to the hospital in time. We live about 30 minutes from the hospital and that doesn't include the time it would take to get all the kids loaded in the van etc or any traffic! Do I just drive myself and my 4 kids to the ER while I'm bleeding everywhere?? Ugh.
Or would I just call an ambulance? Not sure what the kids would do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyria2 View Post
I had complete placenta previa diagnosed at 20 weeks and it stayed there . I was getting ultrasounds every month until the last trimester then it was like every other week. At 32.5 weeks I had some spotting, a couple hours after my baby shower, and I went to the hospital and they put me on bedrest. That sucked a lot. That was on Sunday night. I had an US on Monday, by then no more bleeding, and they said my fluid was low so they pumped me full of iv fluids and just hung out for a few days. I had another US on Thursday morning - I think the dr didn't look at something, don't remember what. Anyway, they said given that my fluid was still low, the baby's growth had slowed and the placement of the blood vessels in the placenta (right above my cervix) they recommended that I deliver. By 330 I delivered my son by c/s at 33 weeks 2 days. He was 4lbs 8oz and 17 in long. We had a month long nicu stay but that's a whole other story....

13 weeks is still pretty early so the placenta can still move and I wish you the best. I really hope I don't have to go through it again. Just know that when they tell you to take it easy and don't exercise they mean it. Your placenta is a lot weaker in the section that's over your cervix and it doesn't take much to start some bleeding.

GL mama
Hmmm they put you on bed rest for spotting? I've been having spotting off and on for weeks and I'm not on bed rest or even pelvic rest at this time (although I am sort of putting myself on pelvic rest anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalisa View Post
Hi Kim like everyone else has said, a LOT of migration can happen over the next several months!! Many placentas cover the cervical os at the point in pregnancy where you are.

I did have a complete previa with my second child, meaning that my entire cervix was covered by the placenta. At 20 weeks (when I had my anatomy ultrasound) it was centered over my cervix, but by 38 weeks (when he was born) it had moved it quite a bit. Alas, not enough that it wasn't still blocking "the exit." My midwife, who attended my cesarean to be with me, remarked that blood vessels were all over my cervix inside the womb and that it was a "big mess."

Complete previas tend to bleed less than partial ones, because with partials, the edges of the placenta can lift up a bit like the curling edges of paper. These are more likely to bleed a bit, but complete ones often go by uneventfully. I did have a couple of brown bleeding episodes between 21-24 weeks which landed me on bed rest (ranging from complete to modified) through the rest of my pregnancy. It was a drag, but the up-side was making it to full term, which honestly doesn't happen all that often with PP. I was very fortunate. TAKE IT EASY!! Try to avoid lifting your kids if you can.

Best of luck to you!
I"m sorry it didn't move all teh way for you. I wonder if you had a "central" CPP. Mine is posterior so she told me that it had a much better chance of moving than a central did. I hope she's right!

See, there's the brown bleeding and bed rest again. I wonder why I"m not being put on bed rest or anything even though I spot randomly about once a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
I had 2. (last 2 babies) one was a partial and one was a full. both resolved but the full placenta had only moved a few centimeters. I had a long labor w that baby as my cervix could not pull up fully w the placenta being so low. I still had a homebirth and I am thankful the placenta did move.
That's wonderful news! Did the placenta being so low cause any bleeding problems at the birth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganne79 View Post
First, really stop reading stories about bleeding LOL! You are only going to freak yourself out, trust me I did that. The bleeding will most often stop on its own. If you truely end up with an uncontrolled hemmorage, they will need to deliver the baby to stop the bleeding. Uncontrolled hemmorages are really rare though and generally don't occur until the 3rd trimester. Generally what I've seen in my experience, one big bleed (and you will know what I mean if you have a big bleed cause it is big) is ok if it stops. With a second big bleed you will most likely be admitted to the hospital and stay there until you deliver or the previa resolves. Different practices have different "rules" but this is generally what I've seen.

With my bleeding what I was told is that I would know if it was too much but to always call if I was concerned. Spotting, even period like bleeding is ok but if you are bleeding like a heavy period (or more) and it isn't stopping, call your doc or go in.

If you have a relatively uncomplicated pregnancy they will schedule a section most likely right at 37 weeks (though several mamas on here have stretched that out to 38 or 39).

I'm sure yours will move mama! Really, the vast, vast majority (even complete ones) do move.
It's hard not to read stuff. I'm a knowledge hog. I need to know what could happen and how to handle it etc. But you're right, it does just scare me.

Yeah, see this is more along with that my midwife and the ER doc were saying. Spotting is okay, but don't have sex while you're spotting. If you start bleeding bright red, go in.

As far as the c-section thing, I am worried about that because I tend to go to 41-42 weeks. When born earlier than that (by "force" induction) they are small! I start dilating though much earlier. With my last pregnancy I walked around at 4 centimeters for a month! So it would not be good to have my baby taken really early due to dilation, because he/she would be super tiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulaswifeandmama View Post
I don't know how severe my placenta previa was.. The ultrasound tech only wrote in the report, "Placenta is covering cervix". That was at 18 weeks. To have a vaginal birth your placenta needs to be 2cm away from the cervix. Had an ultrasound at 27 weeks and it had moved almost 6cm away! Pray about it and just envision your placenta moving. That's what I did, and it worked!
This is what I'm focusing on!!!!!!!

Do any of you think drinking RRL tea would help to keep a bleeding episode under control if I had one? Or is that just uterine bleeding?