Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
frenchyloveslarry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bad words and my 2 year old Toddler??

Yes he learned the "F" word he goes to his grandmas house during the week my BIL lives there and well he cuses quite a bit He apologized for slipping up and promised he would watch his language around ds from now on. He really felt bad for it but, My ds has not forgot about it he keeps repeating it I ignored him for the first week b/c I figured if I make a big deal he will think its funny and keep it up so this is the 2nd week and hes still saying it I addresssed it this week told him to stop saying that word its not nice He looks at me and laughs. He thinks Im being funny I'm not into spanking my 2 year old he's too little to even get it. WWYD? Im not completely against a swat on the bum if its necessarry it will go down but Im not sure that is the right way to approach this situation.

Advertisement

Last edited by frenchyloveslarry; 04-13-2011 at 05:16 PM.
frenchyloveslarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
CappyNnon
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Bad words and my 2 year old Toddler??

I wouldn't punish him; he doesn't get it.

Try "correcting" his pronunciation so he's saying another word. Maybe truck? Luck? Duck?

DS used to throw up his hands and say 'Jesus!' in an exasperated voice (thanks Mom!) and within a week we had changed it to 'cheese whiz!'
We had our 2 and we're through.
CappyNnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
mommieofpees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would just make sure every time he says it, you tell him its not a nice thing to say and for him not to say it, he will catch on that its not a good word. and you have to make sure that noone laughs when he says it or he will just think its funny and continue.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
frenchyloveslarry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I tried redirecting it to FROG cause when he say the two they sound similar but it dosent work Its so embarssing he has yet to blurt it out in public thankfully.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I had to ignore my 2 year old for longer than a week before he forgot the "f" word. He did forget it and doesn't say it anymore.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Katie Finn
Registered Users
seller

I'm studying to be a speech therapist and at age 2, children will repeat most of what they hear without knowing what it means. I agree with other mamas to redirect his speech. When he says the word, say another word that you want him to say instead (like you've been doing) and reward him when he says the word. It could take a lot of repetition. If you aren't seeing the progress you would like with redirecting, ignoring it could work also. However, in order to get him to completely stop, you'll have to prevent him from hearing the word again. If he keeps hearing BIL say it, he will keep repeating it.

Last edited by Katie Finn; 04-13-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Katie Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we use Fart ever seen Aqua Teen Hunger Force when Meatwad hears "The F word"?

DH says "GD it" (a LOT for an atheist) and now DS has taken to saying it. I watch a 6 yo (they will let you KNOW if you accidentally say a "bad word" and never let you forget it!) so I know he's not getting it from me...

I have no advice. Luckily my DS isn't clear enough to understand. We use replacement words, but for some reason DH <3's GD it.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck! My DS doesn't forget a thing!! I said "doggonit!!" once when he purposefully dumped something a few months ago, and he still says it when he "dumps" something he shouldn't or thinks he shouldn't; even though I haven't repeated it in forever.
Trying not to give him any reaction; (even looking at him) sometimes helps.
OMG. The other day however, we were at Trader Joe's and I was pretty certian he was saying the F word, kind of slowely. I was like "WHAT??? what are you saying?!" I think he heard that from his daddy once when he was angry. This child never forgets a thing. The only way to curb it is to try and change it to another word, or (in this case) distract him with something else and then finally ignore it.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
jenbabekitty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Try spanking BIL. Shawn says a lot of curse words. I just ignore it when I can. He hasn't dropped the f bomb yet.

He will grow out of it. Just ignore him or try correcting with a different word.

Sent from my iPhone so watch for weird posts!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
frenchyloveslarry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbabekitty View Post
Try spanking BIL. Shawn says a lot of curse words. I just ignore it when I can. He hasn't dropped the f bomb yet.

He will grow out of it. Just ignore him or try correcting with a different word.

Sent from my iPhone so watch for weird posts!
yeah I should prob do that if I catch him saying it again lol that will set an example and show ds what happens when you say the F word