Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Re: Bad words and my 2 year old Toddler??

my 2.5yo said it a couple times. I blame tv (my dad and his dad watch horrible tv when he's around and I tell them repeatedly NOT TO ) I redirected it with "foot" but he said "no mama not foot F***" and he seems to use it at the right moments too!

I just tell him "please don't say that it's not nice", it seems to work just fine. If he says it again he gets a time out. I know people say to ignore it and I do for the most part, I treat his timeout as a "not listening" timeout. I asked not to say that not nice word and you didn't listen so now you get a timeout for not listening.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
Erinne
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyNnon View Post
I wouldn't punish him; he doesn't get it.

Try "correcting" his pronunciation so he's saying another word. Maybe truck? Luck? Duck?

DS used to throw up his hands and say 'Jesus!' in an exasperated voice (thanks Mom!) and within a week we had changed it to 'cheese whiz!'
That's what I was going to say! My dd learned sh*t (um, from me...), but we helped her switch to shoot pretty easily.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
frenchyloveslarry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew&West View Post
my 2.5yo said it a couple times. I blame tv (my dad and his dad watch horrible tv when he's around and I tell them repeatedly NOT TO ) I redirected it with "foot" but he said "no mama not foot F***" and he seems to use it at the right moments too!

I just tell him "please don't say that it's not nice", it seems to work just fine. If he says it again he gets a time out. I know people say to ignore it and I do for the most part, I treat his timeout as a "not listening" timeout. I asked not to say that not nice word and you didn't listen so now you get a timeout for not listening.
Yeah ds has been using it at the right moments too He has been saying Frog after I redirect him but he still saying the F word then I redirect and he changes it to frog sigh hopefully he forgets it in a couple of weeks.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #14
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

i have no advice, sounds like your handling the situation well, hopefully with a little more redirection he will forget about it all together.

The boy (aged 3) i used to nanny for would say the word sh!t in the right context, as in "the dog just took a Sh!t on the carpet" cant really ignore that one :P
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I accidentally taught my DD a lovely word once. The next time I said it her presence I hauled off and soundly slapped myself. There was quite a look of shock, and I looked at her and said "mommy shouldn't say that word". That almost completely solved it. Then I told her if she ever said that she would go to time out. Next time she said it, I pointed to time out and told her to go and that's not a word she's allowed to use. We don't have a problem anymore.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 AM   #16
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_run_with_scissors
i have no advice, sounds like your handling the situation well, hopefully with a little more redirection he will forget about it all together.

The boy (aged 3) i used to nanny for would say the word sh!t in the right context, as in "the dog just took a Sh!t on the carpet" cant really ignore that one :P
lol

Sunday I grabbed my three year old a t shirt and she told me, "I want the pink one. Not the purple one. I not want to wear that damn shirt, mommy." Oh how I wanted to laugh! She used it perfectly.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #17
AniBee
Registered Users
seller

We just went through this.

We almost hit a tree in someone's yard when we hit a patch of ice a couple of months ago & DH said "OH F***" as we were careening toward our deaths. DS1 clung to that word...that exact phrasing actually...for quite a while. We tried telling him not to use it but that didn't work. We tried ignoring it, didn't work either. Finally we started using "OH Truck!" & for some reason that stuck. He only said the F word a couple of times after that & has pretty much stopped saying "Oh Truck" now as well, but once in a while in a sheer fit of frustration he'll yell out "Oh Truck" & it's pretty much the funniest thing in the world.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
LittleTadpoleDesigns
Registered Users
Formerly: littlest_one
seller

My Mood:

My little guy (just turned 2) also never forgets anything! He's picked up on the F word too

I say "for pete's sake" a lot and that IS funny when he repeats it. Right now we're still just ignoring the F word. I don't want to make a big deal of it because he is just smart as a whip and with cling to it more if we focus on it I think.

My Etsy Shop ~ Get 5% off with "DSFIVE"
Snap Belts for Preschoolers ~ Crocheted Toys ~ Custom Soother & Mitten Clips ~ Nursing Necklaces Facebook
LittleTadpoleDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote