Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: question for bottlefeeding mamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa70 View Post
I do not see a problem here. An EBF baby would not be forced to ween at this age, why should my dd be forced to give up her equivalent?
Sorry I have never given my kids bottles, both BFed, but I know the one thing you have to worry about is baby bottle mouth or rott, whatever its called. As long as you clean her mouth it should be fine.

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
cotton_jmb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMommyOf2 View Post
IMO no reason to rush! We're in the same situation, DS still gets a bottle 3x a day, in the morning, b4 his nap and b4 bed. He's 20 mo. old.
Thankfully I have nobody nagging about this; I wouldn't let anyone! My child, my decision. And I know, eventually he'll get rid of the last remaining bottles.
He won't go to school, still using one, let's put it that way! But if he's 2 yrs or 2.5 and still 'needs' his bottle for bed time for ex. (which I heard is always the last one to be weaned off) I'm fine with it!
Again, that's just my

I totally agree! Jonathan was 15 months old when he was weaned from nursing and he does exactly what you described.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #13
cotton_jmb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
They shouldn't. There is the "bottle baby mouth" thing, but as long you rinse their mouth out/brush their teeth afterwards, there shouldn't be a problem.

Yep, and about to make it past 2 as well. LMAO We're skipping sippy cups altogether because he can't figure out how to drink from them - and he can't drink out of a real cup without help yet. My family doesn't bother me because they know how mean I get when people question my parenting choices. His pedi, she just doesn't know.
Jonathan had the same problem for a long time, now he finally has mastered the cups. He really loves his Thomas the train and Clifford cups the best.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #14
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel the same way. If I could have BFd my babe I would have, but I couldn't. He is 10 mos and loves his bottle. It is a comfort for him. I am not going to take it away from him until he is ready. I will take it down to 1-2 when he gets past a year. I feel that because he wasn't BFd doesn't mean that he should miss out on that cuddling with me. So what if he is drinking from a bottle rather than a breast? He is still getting that comfort time.

I was wondering though...can babies get rotten teeth from BFing as well? Breast milk is very sugary. Just wondering if "baby bottle mouth" can happen with BFing? I know that all BFing moms don't brush their baby's teeth after every BFing.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #15
amanda308
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS was about 18 months when he gave it up. We "accidentally" left it at grandma's house so then he moved onto the cup with a straw and now just a cup. He had no problem with it, even when his little sis was born and she had a bottle. Just transition when you feel it's right for both of you.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #16
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylan'smomma View Post
I was wondering though...can babies get rotten teeth from BFing as well? Breast milk is very sugary. Just wondering if "baby bottle mouth" can happen with BFing? I know that all BFing moms don't brush their baby's teeth after every BFing.
No because when sipping from a bottle, the fluid fills their mouth. But when sipping from the boob, it goes straight to the back of their mouth and doesn't touch their teeth.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #17
happyhomemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for posting this My 16 month old loves his bottle and my dr is also giving me a hassle. When I asked him how his only advice was CIO which we will not do. So I will probably lie to him at our appointment next week. I hate to lie but I hate to sit through the lecture also. I think it is normal to want to cuddle and get a bottle from mommy. My ds gets 3 or 4 a day also. Morning, Nap and night time for sure and an extra one if we are going on a car ride. We usually only go to town once a week and it is a 20 minute ride. So on the way home when he is tired I give him a bottle.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylan'smomma View Post
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

BM isnt that sugary but it does have a component that fights decay. The way babies eat off a bottle vs. breast are very different thats why decay is linked to bottles, since whatever you put in the bottle doesnt come out behind the teeth like BM

Last edited by Calideedle; 03-26-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #19
Spitcairn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use to work in the dental field and I think I remember something about babies stopping the bottle/paci after 1 year b/c it starts to deform the arch in their mouth. With bfing though I understand it to be just the opposite...it actually helps with proper jaw alignment. Just my . HTH!!
Spitcairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #20
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am honestly not a bottle fan, so I'm hoping to wean DS soon. I tried a couple nights ago to replace his bedtime bottle with a cup, but it was a no-go. lol. So, he'll get the bottle for a while longer then we'll try again. I'm not going to force anything on him! He's down to only a bedtime bottle, and very rarely a naptime bottle. Not bad at all.