Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Registered Users
Back Carries -Help Please

I have a baby bjorn and a ring sling. I want something I can do a back carry in. When DD2 is awake I can't get anything done cause she wants to be held, which as she gets older is more of a problem. I am fairly busty so she sits so far out in front, I have practically no arm reach. Can I use the ring sling to back carry? It doesn't have much of a tail to lengthen it. I also have a couple old sheets I could use to make one, but I am new to all this and don't know how...

ETA: Just was doing some more research, the ring sling is padded and only has one panel of fabric. I think this will make it more difficult, but is it possible to do a back carry? My DD2 is 8 weeks old.

Last edited by SaraAnne; 04-14-2011 at 04:06 PM.
SaraAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Back Carries -Help Please

I don't have experience with ring slings, but it being one-paneled especially, I don't think I'd attempt a back carry with it. I know you can use a woven wrap to back carry little babies, but I think, generally, they recommend good head control before wearing them on the back, unless you have experience wrapping and such, cause you need to make sure to have good head support. I wanted to wrap DD2 from birth, but never got a chance to be shown how, and just wore her on my back for the first time today, in a beco butterfly, and she's 4.5mos. Good luck! I'm sure some more will chime in with some input.
Ashli 29, DH Patrick 31
Hannah (4) Evann (4) LilyMae (3) Abigail (2)
Ashlovespat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

You do NOT want to do a back carry with an 8 week old in a RS. You could try one with a woven wrap, but please don't attempt one with a RS. Like PP said, you should wait until your baby has good head control (4-6 months) unless you are using a woven wrap. I'd ditch the Bjorn and get something that can be used in front or back carries like a Beco.
April + Stephen = Eva, Reese, and Baby 3.0 (due Nov '14)
ajbailey89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Registered Users

Yep... Get a woven wrap, or a soft structured carrier, like a Boba, Ergo or beco.
-Emily, mommy to C (11/08) & C (09/10).
Hands behind Arcobaleno Baby
Babywearing in the DFW area? Check us out, Fort Worth Babywearers
Mama_scoutski is offline   Reply With Quote