Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
rockchikcassie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ear tubes? Anyone's LO get them?

My son is on his 3rd set and he just turned 3 in February (also had adnoids done the last 2 times to help). He's had constant severe ear infections since he was born. When the tubes fall out he immediately starts getting infections again and they are so bad that no antibiotics they try get rid of them. However, when the tubes are in his ears are perfect! We had the last set put in on the 1st of this month and after the worst ear infections he's ever had, they were actually draining pus and blood for almost a week after 3 rounds of oral and 2 rounds of drop antibiotics. His speech has been affected for the first time which kind of freaks me out, but I'm hoping that since he can hear properly again it will clear itself up.

The surgery is super quick and easy. I will warn you though that some children don't come out of anesthesia to well. My son was absolutely hysterical the last 2 times and had to be given morphine to calm him down. I have been told by several dr's and other moms that it's pretty common though among kids his age. Within an hour both times though he was chilled out and ready to go home and back to himself within a few more hours.

Best of luck and I say don't worry about it. It's pretty easy on them and it will make them feel soooo much better in the long run!

Oh and his original pedi wouldn't refer us so I switched pedis and got an immediate referral after explaining to them the number of infections he had had in 6 months...never more than a week-2 week break in meds.

Advertisement

Full time student, mommy and wife! Love the boys in my life Chase, DS Merrick aka Batman (2/08), Silas (5/11) & #3 coming 6/13

ISO/IHA: http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1286842

Last edited by rockchikcassie; 04-15-2011 at 09:43 AM.
rockchikcassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
travelmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After having 5 EI's within 7 months DD got tubes put in. She was 14 months old at the time. We could see the difference in her language the very next day. She started saying words that she had never said before. She's only had 1 EI in the 2 yrs since the tubes were put in so for us, they were very successful.

After the 4th EI, our pedi said we had to start thinking about getting them put in. 2 weeks later when DD had her 5th EI, I put the call into the ENT to get the ball rolling and our pedi was 100% supportive.

The surgery was very quick. Pre-op took much longer than the actual surgery itself. DD was groggy on the day of but back to her usual self the next day.
travelmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
jessesgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: jesses
seller

My Mood:

DSis on hios second set. As soon as the first set fell out, he started getting infections again. He got his frist set @ 11 months, between 2-11 months, he had nine ear infections.

They fell out when he was three, he got six in 11 months so they put another set in. We'd swear by them; he's never had an ear infection with them in.

Visit Jaleigh Bean Bowtique on the WAHM boards! Also, visit my fan page!
jessesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
elabela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never heard a single bad experience with them! Hubby had them as a kid, but got them 'late' for kids with tubes, and still has hearing issues from all the years he went without them.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
Libacious
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much, everyone!!! I will definitely ask my ped for an ENT consult! I hate the idea of ever doing amoxicillin again. At this time, they only found a red throat(ruled out strep) and said her ears look ok, so far....we'll see how they look in a couple of days!
Thanks, again!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #16
mommyto5littlemonkeys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds just turned 6 and is on his 3rd set. We put bigger T-tubes in this time so they are suppose to stay in longer. He has also had his adnoids and tonsils removed. He still gets infections even with the tubes but not nearly as frequently.
mommyto5littlemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #17
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My youngest dd had got tubes at 15 months. She had 8 infections in about 8 weeks time. When her hearing was tested, she was deaf in 1 year & had a partial loss in the other ear.
The surgery was quick & went smoothly. The first night, she was up all night talking in her crib. I realized that she could finally hear herself! I'm really glad we did not put it off & risked permanent damage to her hearing. DH had chronic ear infections as a child & now has hearing loss from it.
She is 8 now & actually never had another ear infection after that. I'm still very glad we did it & didn't wait.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
Monkeymamaof2
Registered Users

My Mood:

My 2yr 9mos son will be getting the tubal surgery next month. He has had numerous ear infections since he was 1 1/2yrs. And they are just now suggesting that he have the procedure. I wish he would have had it a little sooner! Just me knowing how much pain he has been through and still goes through. Makes me want to protect him and make things better.
I am a WOHM to JJ 10/3/06 and Jio 7/18/08 and a loving GF to Adam and #3 due in August
Monkeymamaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son has been having constant ear infections all winter. 8 or 9 maybe? We don't do antibiotics every time and they do go away on their own. He's been seeing a chiropractor for a few weeks now and she strongly recommends to NOT do tubes. Anyone decide not to go the tubes route and just wait it out? I'm having a hard time deciding what would be best for him.
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #20
Libacious
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, it's official. She's on her 4th EI in 4 months, so we have an ENT consult for May. Thank you so much for all of your responses! It wouldn't bother me so much if she didn't have to keep taking antibiotics and that it didn't cause her so much pain. She was inconsolable a couple of nights ago...cried on/off until 3:30am!!! I figured she had another one and bingo, left ear...poor girl!
I'll keep ya posted!