Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question milk, whole? 2% Skim?

We get WIC for DS, and he has the option of getting any % milk he wants. I've heard and read from different sources to switch kids over to skim ASAP.

However.

We're not milk drinkers. WIC give DS 4 gallons a month, generally 2 will be made into cheese.

The foodie in me says to get him whole milk. I would prefer raw milk... but, it's practically underground, and out of our budget.

The entire dairy situation confuses me. It seems to me, milk replaces BM/FF for 1-2 y/os. (DS was BFed until 21m, so milk wasn't a staple) Then after 2, the concern is too much fat and calories coming from milk. DS doesn't drink milk like BM he has maybe 16-24 oz/day most days. He's tall and slim, and isn't winning awards on eating other foods.

WWYD?

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Katie180
Registered Users
seller

Re: milk, whole? 2% Skim?

I would do whole milk. Kids need good fats for brain development according to the research I have done.
Katie180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
EmmaLaurel
Registered Users
seller

Agreed with PP. DD only has 5-10 oz a day, and I'd rather that be worth something for her nutritionally - so we use whole milk. I've also read that you absorb the nutrients in milk better when it's whole.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I kept my very thin son on whole milk until almost five because he just didn't get a lot of fat and our pediatritian agreed and said it is more for children who are off the charts in weight. She also told me to butter his veggies, etc.
Vivhop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

2% (i'm told) is high in saturated fats which are not so good for you. whole milk is actually better. and in my opinion tastes better too
Old 04-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would get the whole milk. I switched my kids when they were younger to skim but they were really good eaters and our milk was the only "lean" compromise I made.

Raw milk is so yummy but it is hard to get (and pay for.)

Here in MA WIC switches you automatically you to skim at a certain age. I know this because I would get gallons of skim from a mom who's daughter refused skim milk.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

dp

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The standard advice is to offer baby an average of 2 cups per milk per day, and keep baby on whole milk until age 2, then switch to lowfat, unless baby has weight issues. If baby is on the heavy side, or is a compulsive milk drinker (i.e., much more than 2 cups per day), most docs recommend switching to lowfat after 18 months. If baby is on the thin side, they may suggest continuing with whole milk a little longer.

Actually, as far as the fat goes, whole milk is 3 - 5% fat, so 2% isn't that much less. You're talking about 120 calories/cup for 2% vs. 150 calories/cup for whole. Whole milk has 5g saturated fat. 1% has 1.5 g (not sure about 2% since there's none in my fridge). If baby is otherwise eating healthy foods, the benefits of the other nutrients in the milk are much more important than the saturated fat.

Last edited by Sha-nanagins; 04-15-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha-nanagins View Post
The standard advice is to offer baby an average of 2 cups per milk per day, and keep baby on whole milk until age 2, then switch to lowfat, unless baby has weight issues. If baby is on the heavy side, or is a compulsive milk drinker (i.e., much more than 2 cups per day), most docs recommend switching to lowfat after 18 months. If baby is on the thin side, they may suggest continuing with whole milk a little longer.

Actually, as far as the fat goes, whole milk is 3 - 5% fat, so 2% isn't that much less. You're talking about 120 calories/cup for 2% vs. 150 calories/cup for whole. Whole milk has 5g saturated fat. 1% has 1.5 g (not sure about 2% since there's none in my fridge). If baby is otherwise eating healthy foods, the benefits of the other nutrients in the milk are much more important than the saturated fat.
This is what we were told as my son can do 2% but not whole milk with his reflux (but he'll only drink 2% with dad for some reason so are just on toddler formula). We were told we can switch him to 2% around age 2 in less a child is heavier on the weight and then they do it earlier.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definitely whole milk. The fat in whole milk (even the saturated fat) is good, healthy fat that your body needs. Especially a growing body! There are more vitamins and minerals in whole milk, especially vitamins A and D, which aren't in lower fat contents because they aren't absorbed by your body without the good fats found in whole milk.