Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
MamaEli
Registered Users

My Mood:
Best Diet?

Ohh, I need to loose weight so bad. I'm wearing a pre DS outfit that actually looked darn good on me before I was preggo with DD. Now it's so tight it's uncomfortable, doesn't look very good, and I'm only wearing it because everything else is needing to be washed. Since she was born, I've gained weight, again. I am at my 9 mo. mark right now, and NOT pregnant. Granted, I only gained 15 lbs with her, and lost them all within two weeks. Now, I'm back.
I have a LOT of weight to loose. But right now, 40 lbs would thrill me and put me back in my clothes I've been keeping. Even 15 lbs would be nice right now.

This is what I've tried in the past:
6 week body makeover--did the trick, but really hard. Lost 25 lbs. on it four years ago.
South Beach. Fairly easy and lost 25 lbs. on it two years ago.

I've looked into Weight watchers, but don't like the whole "points" idea, like someone is telling me what I can do and not do. I looked at the no-points plan, but it looks a lot like SB. The other thing that's holding me back from both SB and WW is the artificial sweeteners thing. Both seem to advocate the use of Splenda, Nutrasweet, etc for those sugar cravings, and I'm really not into that--I'm trying to buy all organic and natural foods as our budget allows.

So, I need a diet that gives me lots of freedom, emphasis on proteins, veggies, fruits, and legumes, and allows me to have real sugar when I want it.
It also need to be somewhat affordable, and food my family will eat. Jenny Craig and Nutrasystem are completely NOT my style!

Lastly, has anyone ever used a personal trainer? I'm kind of scared of the expense, but I need a little buttkicking to get going. And I love yoga.

Honestly, I hate my body right now and don't want people taking my pictures. Yesterday I wore a maternity shirt and it wasn't too big! I want to play and have fun with my kids, and I can't even get up off the floor without doing the prop on the knee thing. DH is very understanding, but I know that it distresses him that I'm this big.

Any insights, anyone?

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
amykoysgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best Diet?

I have lost over 30 lbs since January with atkins. I love it, and I'm eating healthier than I have in years. My carbs are coming from good healthy vegetables and greens instead of junk food. I bought the Dr Atkins new diet Revolution book and in the first two weeks I lost 8 pounds! LOVE IT!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

I love the Schwarzbein Principle series by Diana Schwarzbein - picked up the books from my library. I went from about 150 down to about 120 (I'm 5'2") in about 4 mths (then I got pg), and I swear, it is more food than I could eat - never hungry. It helps you sort out the good, better, best food choices with an emphasis on nutrient balance and whole foods. There is no counting involved. Its not a diet - its a permanent food lifestyle change. I still eat this way now and I am sure the baby wt will be falling right off afterwards again. I like it because it really educates you as to what happens to different foods when you put them into your body - when you are aware of what that donut does to you, its much easier to say no to it.

Can't comment on a personal trainer, but I will admit I bought a pilates DVD from an infomercial and actually I really like it - its easy, only 20 min a day, and really seems to work too. The exercises are mostly like stretching - relaxing - and since you lay on the floor you don't have to have good balance like for yoga. Helped me get in shape for my wedding...

Last edited by hollydlr; 03-26-2007 at 12:16 PM.
hollydlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Eat REAL food

As far as I know most grocery stores are set up so that the real food is on the perimeter of the store and processed junk is in the inside aisles. Try to buy the bulk of your food from the outer aisles (against outside walls). For example in my local store the perimeter is produce (fruits, veggies, nuts), meat (fresh and frozen), milk, eggs, orange juice, yogurt and cheese.
We do dip in the inside aisles for a few things. Like, apple juice for my dd, bread (preferably whole wheat), cereal, peanut butter, sugar (we have bad sweet tooths here. I allow myself occasional sweets. If I didn't I would go crazy and probably binge and eat a ton of junk), flour (whole wheat and unbleached all-purpose) and any other baking needs for a specific recipe. I think I got everything. We also drink mostly water. DH drinks a pop that is from Mexico that they have in the ethnic aisle. It is made with real sugar and not high fructose corn syrup. For a drink with flavor I like flavored teas, green and black teas. I buy decaf since I am still nursing. And will probably stick with decaf even after. I really like to make the tea and then chill it for iced tea. The fruit flavors add a lot so you dont need to add a lot of sugar to the tea.

I always say if I cant grow it or kill it I probably shouldnt eat it, lol. This is a healthy lifestyle change for a whole family and if you honestly try it you should be able to get down to what your body's healthy weight is. Good luck to you. I hope you find what works for your

Last edited by CarrieAnn0413; 03-26-2007 at 12:35 PM.
CarrieAnn0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
MamaEli
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, that's pretty much already how I'm shopping, so that would be no change. *Sigh* I think I just eat TOO MUCH. I hate admitting that the old adage is true--eat less, exercise more. Maybe I do need WW so they can tell me when enough is enough. Blech.
I want to change, but I don't want to CHANGE. Am now feeling hopeless,depressed, and frustrated. Maybe because it's the end of the day, I don't know. Maybe I have some emotional need that I have to feed myself food to replace something else. Maybe it's habit. This has been an issue in my life since I was a very young child, like preschool.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
sammy21901
Registered Users
seller

I like Weight Watchers. I lost over 40lbs with it last year. I loved the freedom. The points are yours to do with what you want. There was no approved/not approved list of foods. As far as what to eat, eat as natural as possible. Fruit is awesome for sugar cravings.

I went to the meetings. I NEEDED the accountability (still do, to a degree). I also found that the emotional support was great, knowing that I wasn't doing it by myself. It's also a good way to get great recipe ideas. Please don't feel hopeless, depressed, etc... You can change. It's often the first couple of steps that are the hardest.
sammy21901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy21901 View Post
I like Weight Watchers. I lost over 40lbs with it last year. I loved the freedom. The points are yours to do with what you want. There was no approved/not approved list of foods.
I completely agree! I am currently doing WW. It's the only diet I've ever been able to stick with because nothing is off limits. I tried SB once but it was too restricting. I eat whatever I want on WW, I just have to be sure to account for it.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
SahmIam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe start working out during "eating time" You know when that is for you. Sometimes I will work out at 10 or 11 pm if I haven't and need to or whatever. As for diets, I like the idea of eith the SouthBeach or the Abs diet, though I wouldn't diet so much as exercise.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

I don't believe in diets. I believe in life style changes. I do not seclude any food group. I eat in moderations. drink water, crystal light, herbal tea. I make sure I walk everyday for 1 hour or more.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaEli View Post
I think I just eat TOO MUCH.
If you are eating tons of veggies, there's no way you can overdo it - if you are eating too much, you are eating too much of the wrong things...when you eat, what are you eating? KWIM? I too am an emotional eater - I eat when I'm blue, bored, etc. But the things I reach for in those times are always the things that are not so good for me - baked goods, sugary or fatty things.... If you get those kinds of things out of your house, or just make sure you don't eat them, you will start to recognize when you're eating cause you're hungry, and when its emotional. Then you can start to deal with the other issues - like if you realize you're bored you can make a better choice instead of just aimlessly wandering over to the cupboard...