Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
Beaker
Registered Users
seller

Re: Commiserate with me about your 3 year old...

My 3.5 yr old is the same. I have a 9 month old that he terrorizes as well. He recently started telling me "no". If the behavior is bad enough he will get an immediate time-out. He doesn't get out of time-out but now I have to physically put him there. He usually has to sit on his hands during it too to avoid further trouble. Continue to put her in time-out again and again until she stays. It sucks, but eventually she will learn that you mean business.
On all other inappropriate behavior I give one warning and then action is taken; i.e. toy taken away, move him to another room, etc.

Advertisement

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 3.5 yo dd terrorizes our 14mo old ds too. It's GOT to be the age. I agree with previous poster who said a switch went off at 3yo...twos were a dream compared to 3! Everyone warns about "terrible 2"...but not a word about the 3's!

With our dd, we do a time out at the table when she's doing something bad. We calmly tell her she has to sit at the table with her head down. She sits with her head down for 3 minutes and in that 3 minutes, we're able to gain our thoughts and our cool and then we talk with her after she's sat quiet for those 3 minutes. If she cries... the 3 minutes starts over. This works really well for her because it's the same type of time out they do at her daycare for all the kids. Consistency is the key. NOT saying it STOPS the behavior, but in the moment it seems to help us keep tabs on it.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
Kayleen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD can be the same way. Most of the time she is lovable and wonderful, and other times she does not listen at all until I yell. Consistancy and time outs have helped alot.
Kayleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #14
Bhavana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sincerest commiserations.

And that "will not ever do it" promise and breaking it as soon as the tears dry. Happens all the time.

So its not ADD/ADHD?

Tell me I can go "phew"

Man..arent you brave. Im so done having kids. That's what DS1's done to my psyche..made me afraid.

Last edited by Bhavana; 04-19-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Bhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #15
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I walked into daycare to 3.5 yo DD in major temper tantrums because when she hit her friend the teacher asked her to apologize. Completely reasonable request imo. DD was screaming no at the teacher. I picked up her up and carried her out. I told her behavior was inappropriate and she has no privileges tonight at home. Currently sitting in her bed thinking about apology...
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
travelmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleen View Post
DD can be the same way. Most of the time she is lovable and wonderful, and other times she does not listen at all until I yell. Consistancy and time outs have helped alot.
Our DD is so smart, sweet, loving, caring and then...BAM! It's like a someone flips a switch and she's stomping, saying no and being downright defiant. We always say to her "1, please stop (or please do this), 2, stop NOW please (or do this NOW please) or you're going in timeout, 3 timeout" and that usually works, but there are times when that doesn't even scratch the surface so off to timeout she goes.

She's started hitting the wall or floor while in timeout (and sometimes hitting our arms if we have to carry her to timeout) and when she hits, we tell her to stop or she's sitting in timeout longer. According to her teachers, she doesn't hit at school, only at home. We don't hit at home so we're wondering where she's getting it from or if it's just the normal "Terrible 3's". From reading this thread, I'm thinking it's just normal for this age.
travelmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
tsk_mum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

maybe she is bored or just wants attention?
assuming you SAH with her , maybe try more playdates or MMO? individual time with her & you alone doing something she enjoys.
I know MMO really helped my 3yro!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
psylion
Registered Users
seller

I am feeling so much better about my totally defiant 3.5 year old now that I am reading about all of yours. DD often does not listen to me. She carries right on doing whatever I have just told her not to do as if she hasn't heard me or she argues with me that she isn't actually doing it. It drives me crazy. At least she seems to be passed the stage where she is aggressive with other kids and myself. It really made me lose my temper when she would try to bite me. I am hoping the defiance/not listening thing will get better when she turns 4.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
dpelephant
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.....
Sounds just like mine! And oh the whining...

I earn extra $ with Swagbucks and Ebates! Join me
dpelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
SunDancerAcres
File with paypal if you bought! See thread in WAHMwares!

Mine is 4.5 and just hitting the not listening stage. always promising he wont do it again, and now he has started hitting himself in the head when he gets in trouble ??? Oh and he will pick up his 5 month old brother and try to carry him around.