Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
tiffanyghegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How old were your kids when you let them venture out into the backyard alone?

My DS is soon to be 4 and I was just wondering when did you let your LOs start playing outside without you there to watch them 100%? I was thinking 5-6. But I see smaller children walking by themselves past my house and it made me wonder, am I an uptight and over protected parent, or do parents not care as much anymore? How old were your kids when you let them venture out into the backyard alone?

Advertisement

tiffanyghegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
FairyBeautifulMama
Registered Users
Formerly: j***imm
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old were your kids when you let them venture out into the backyard alone?

My DS just turned 3 and he goes out in the backyard alone every now and then. We have privacy fence around the yard and the gate has two locks and a padlock so there is no way he can get out...unless he jumps the fence. Also I can always see him 98% of the time from the window while I am folding laundry or whatever so he is not really alone completely. If we didnt have a privacy fence there is no way I would allow him out alone.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: How old were your kids when you let them venture out into the backyard alone?

If I am doing something near a window or door that I can see through, they go out as early as 2-3. That is if the backyard isn't fenced. If the backyard is fenced, the same age, but I don't worry so much about being right by a window.

This would also depend on where we lived. But, for the places we have lived when my children were that age, that was the rule.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
SunDancerAcres
File with paypal if you bought! See thread in WAHMwares!

ds#3 is 4.5 and he is not allowed to go out alone, he at least has to have his 8 year old friend. Maybe I m just uptight but that is the way it goes here.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
jnno
Registered Users

DD was two, but our "backyard" at the time, was a tiny cement slab. She was allowed out there when I was folding laundry at the table or doing the dishes, so I could see her. I also left the sliding door open, so I could hear her.

When we moved to a house with an actual backyard (so, ages 2.5-4.5), she was only allowed on the cement, as I wasn't comfortable not being able to see her at any point.

Now, we're at another place with just a cement slab, so whenever she wants.

All three have had privacy fences, and locked gates.
jnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
SunDancerAcres
File with paypal if you bought! See thread in WAHMwares!

Let me put in that if I can see him outside the door then it is okay he can't get out of site with out someone with him.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
dogpaws
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think I let DD out by herself fir a few minutes at 2.5 years....our yard is fully fenced. Now with my other DD I'm pretty careful because she could climb on the playset and get hurt. Maybe 3 or 4 I'd be comfortable....as long as the yard is fully fenced.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
CappyNnon
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ragamuffin is nearly 5 and we have a fenced in yard. It's a privacy fence around the back but goes to a 42" picket fence in the front. If he's outside by himself he has to stay in the back where we can see him from the sliding glass door. We also have a swimming pool back there, which has a chain link fence around it, but I just don't trust him out there by himself unattended for too long. He's very smart and could maybe figure out the latches we have on the gates if he put his mind to it and he is very impulsive with low safety awareness - it's a bad combination. (We aren't allowed to put an actual lock on the gates because the utility company needs access to read the meter. I think that's BS and they should come by when I'm at home, but that's another issue.)

It's the same thing with everything else safety related - know your kid and act accordingly.
We had our 2 and we're through.
CappyNnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have a fenced in backyard. I let jake out there by himself. He's 2... but normally he goes out there with miranda, (who's 6.5) and if he is out there by himself he's coming to the door to mess with the screen door every 2 minutes anyway.. lol
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For my oldest: he was at least 6. But we lived in 2 crappy unsafe places, so it was more general safety than anything else. Where we live now, once our youngest hit 2.5yrs(last summer), we let him be outside in our fully fenced backyard by himself as long as I can see him. Our familyroom/kitchen/dining is all open with big patio doors overlooking the backyard(and the windows must be open if he's outside by himself, even now). I need to be able to hear & see him or else I worry.
But once we put our pool up in June, he is never outside without one of us too. The pool(even at 4ft high straight up & down with NO ladder anywhere near it) scares me! And he hates water even!!