Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old were your kids when you let them venture out into the backyard alone?

we have a chain link and difficult neighbors with difficult dogs. So I sit on the porch/ stand by the back door and "supervise" my 2 yo. IF we had a privacy fence I would probably let him play alone and check on him every few mins. He's pretty good about coming to get me if something happens (gate is open, flower is knocked over) and if he falls he's yell for me.

I would do a better job in picking up the sticks. We seem to have a lot, and they trip him.

I see a LOT of little kids walking down the street. I think 3 and 4 even 5 and 6 maybe, is too young to be roaming the neighborhood. I will let you walk to point A, where I can see you, to a friends house, or to ride your bike. But I see little kids just roaming. There is one right now flicking rocks in my driveway. I know his mom can't see him, because I can't see the other neighbor's drive way from my house, I would have to stand outside the door. Makes me wonder.

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How old were your kids when you let them venture out into the backyard alone?

ds1 was 3 years old when he was alowed to play in the back yard and front yard alone. I kept an eye on him through the window and he's always been good about staying in our yard.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
joshuas_mum
Registered Users

ds has been going outside on his own since he was about 2. but we have always had high fenced in gardens and bolted gates and the door is always left open so i can hear him.
i recently heard him shouting at someone, went out to see what was up and saw him shouting at the postman for leaving the gate open. (our mail comes right through the front door onto the mat) so i know hes good about not going through the gate even if it is left open.

joshuas_mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
tiffanyghegan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As spring is approaching my DS would live outside if I let him. I am a SAHM of 2, at times, when it is to cold for DD, who is 9 months, my son cries until I bundle her up so I can sit out with him. He is a really good boy and I trust he wouldn't hop the fence or anything but I just thought he was to young to go out all by himself. But after reading all these posts I might cut the cord and let him venture out supervised thru the window!!!! Maybe I just don't want him to grow up But thanks for all of you mama's input!!!!!!
tiffanyghegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 4 year old son has been going out in the back yard by himself since he was about 18 months old (its fenced) but he isn't allowed in the front yard by himself at all..Personally, I would rather he advoid the front at all as we have lots of cars racing down our street all the time.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #16
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

I think that IMO it depends greatly on the potential hazards in the yard, the ability to see the yard from the house, and the temperament of the child in question.

Our yard is fully fenced, no one can see in or get in. There are no real hazards and lots to do (a wooden play structure and a flat paved area for bikes, sandbox, and lots of open grassy space). My girls are nearly 4 and 18 months, and I will let them play outside, without me, on a nice day when I can have the window open, allowing me to see and hear them 100% of the time. I will allow my nearly 4 year old to play out there alone, whenever she wants, but I do check on her through the window every few minutes. The 18 month old can only go out if I can sit next to the window the whole time and watch.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #17
CWHmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our yard is flat, well maintained and fully fenced. Theres nothing dangerous out back I started letting them out for short periods at 4 and 2, so two summers ago. I open all the windows and can see the whole yard and im always right by the windows They never misbehave back there so I try to let them have some freedom. I even let my 19 month old out there with DD. She is almost 6.

Sent from my iPhone and usually NAK, excuse the typos!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
Lynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a big fenced yard and a lot of windows on the back side of the house. I've let my kids go out back alone when they're about 2 1/2, as long as I'm in the part of the house that I can see them from. DS2 went out alone a few time earlier than that, but only in the part of the deck that's connected to the house and closed in with a gate (so it's essentially a giant outdoor playpen ). But neither of the little ones is allowed to play out front or leave our yard. DS1 is 10 and I sometimes let him go ride his bike alone but that's only in the past year or so that we've done that.

My knitting patterns|Licensed knitters
Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #19
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann
My 4 year old son has been going out in the back yard by himself since he was about 18 months old (its fenced) but he isn't allowed in the front yard by himself at all..Personally, I would rather he advoid the front at all as we have lots of cars racing down our street all the time.
^^^This. Our back yard has high fences so he's been going out there since maybe 28 months. He did escape once to go play with the neighbours behind us but I knew right away because I'm always checking on him. He's not allowed out front alone at all and won't be for a long time.

*Sent from my HTC Hero using DS Forum*
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #20
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in letting my kids play outside alone. It feels so weird to me to let them play in the backyard without me. They are 3 and 5. The five-year-old I trust, he has good judgement. The 3-year-old needs her big brother with her. She's impulsive at times. I am always watching, I'll work from the kitchen table where I can see them. They are loving this arrangement, but I still feel strange. Perhaps it's just that the little ones are growing up so fast? It will make it easier when the addition comes in June.
maple79vt is offline   Reply With Quote