Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
mkrisel
Registered Users

Spacing between kids

Our lo is 14 months old and although I don't feel ready to be pregnant again, I don't know how far apart we want our kids to be. I also don't want to wait too long as I will be 31 this fall.
So, how far apart our your kids and what are the benefits and what is hard?
Thanks!

Advertisement

mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Spacing between kids

I wanted ours 2-3 years apart. we started tring right after ds 2nd bday...m/c twice before we got a sticky one. they are 4 years apart.

I really wish they were closer in age...ds was an omly child/grandchild for 4 years and when dd and niece came (3 weeks apart) he is seeking all the attention he use to always get
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine are all further apart & I love it. I like that I when I had a new baby, the next older one was at least 3 years older, usually more. It made it easier to care for the baby since the next older one was sleeping at night, out of diapers & with most of mine, in school. It was only a short period where I had 2 children home all day at once.

I like that it's given me more time to focus on the new baby & time for just us to spend together. And all the older ones were old enough to understand a new baby in the house so we've never had any jealousy issues. They're all very close friends even with the age span & it's much easier as they are getting older to just have 1 teen at a time or 1 pre-teen at a time. Believe me, babies & toddlers are a walk in the park compared to teen agers.

There's almost 6 years between dd1 & dd2, 3 years between dd2 & dd3 and 7 years between dd3 and ds1. My ideal spacing would be about 5 years apart & definately not closer than 3 years.

Last edited by ssand23; 04-17-2011 at 09:51 PM.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS1 and DS2 are 23 months apart. I think that's pretty perfect personally. DS2 and DS3 will be 16-17 months apart (depending on when in the next 4 weeks DS3 decides to make an appearance lol)...not sure how I'll deal with that since DS2 is still very "baby" like to me
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
KayMMIV
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

3 years one month between the boys. we hope to adopt another baby before our youngest is 5. I don't know, that's just normal to us. My siblings and I were all 3-5 years apart and so were all dh's brothers and sisters (except his youngest brother which was a SURPRISE and is like 14 years younger then he next youngest brother lol). We never really thought about it honestly- that was just when it seemed like time to have another baby put them 3 years apart. We plan to adopt at least one or two more if we are so blessed and hope they end up no more then 5 years apart.
KayMMIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

My spacings are 13 months, 20 months, 14 months, and soon to be 16 months.

I like the close spacings, although it can be a bit crazy and the physical ramifications can be hard on the mother. I like the fact that the older child at 13-14-15-16 months doesn't really know what is going on, doesn't get jealous by a new baby, never remembers a time without a younger sibling, and then as the kids grow together you truly have built in playmates.

If you are someone who'd prefer a bit of a farther spacing I think 2.5-3 years is good. 20 months was one of the more difficult spacings for me because my 20 month old was aware of what was going on but wasn't exactly thrilled to share her mommy with a new baby. Her older sister was 2.5 years at the time and she loved having a new baby brother and was quite the helper.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

mine are 10 months 3 weeks apart my DD will be 14 months when the new baby's born i love having my kids close together already they love playing with each other my DS loves his baby he sits by her holding her hand brings her her blanket when she gets tired
and ware baby is is first thing he asks when he gets up on the morning
Old 04-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #8
Funnyfarmmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mine are 20 months, 2 years 2 months, 11 months and soon to be 19 months.
I personally like having my kids so close for a bunch of reasons but mostly because they play sooo well together and like a PP said there is no jealously when a new baby is born! It can get pretty crazy here sometimes but we love it!! Out of all the spacing we have had personally i like the 19-20 months spacing the best!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my #2 will be about 27m, my sister and I are 22, and we FOUGHT as kids, but are close as adults. I can't remember a time before my sister.

I want to have kids about 2 years apart, but we'll see how #2 goes I want to be DONE by 35. My mom is a young grandma, and empty nesting at 50 on the beach in south carolina. they are young enought to enjoy the night life, and beach for many more years, just the two of them! I am looking forward to my "twilight years" with DH and grown kids
Old 04-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

2 years and 8 months was NOT a good spacing for us. The queen of the castle was MIFFED when she figured out she'd been dethroned. LOL

It took almost 6 months, but she's finally not such a huge PITA anymore. Them were some long months.

I'm hoping that'll be good spacing when they get older, though.