Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Do you pre-read library books?

DS1 picked out a book, generally I'll do a quick flip through just to make sure they're not mini-novels (they get 3 books a night, I will not read huge long books though LOL) but never really glance at the content (aside from vetoing most character books)

Well I was reading DS their book and one had a man in a car with a speech bubble that said &@(*%# above it and then the actual page was something along the lines of "The boys learned a lot of new vocabulary words that day"

Not my husband curses like a truck driver who used to be a sailor who is in a motorcycle gang so I'm not super sensitive to the 4-letter words...but this sort of made me LOL I'm sure some people wouldn't really appreciate the book...

Do you pre-read library books before reading them to your kids?? (not like Harry Potter/etc...but just the Children's picture books...)

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you pre-read library books?

I flip through them...of course we have a library of books in our house and I've read all of them at least once ... my old classroom stash
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
MyKylie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I scan over them real quick. I have gotten books that I got home and read and thought, oh my gosh this is never coming back in the this house! I hide it til its time to go back to the library!

K R M
MyKylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
eek
Registered Users

I've read that book! Don't they go to a friend's house and watch a video that they learn those words from? I can't remember which book that was!
Mommy to DD#1 12, DS#1 10, DS#2 7, and DD#2 4!
Please be my swagbucks friend! Please?
Make money just from taking surveys here and here!
Follow my $20 weekly grocery budget on my blog!
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
love2bmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not really. I flip through it really quick to make sure it's not in Spanish and doesn't have a million words on a page, but that's about it. Since my kids can't read and I'm the only one who reads to them, I can "edit" something out while reading and then hide the book if I come across something I don't approve of.
love2bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
I've read that book! Don't they go to a friend's house and watch a video that they learn those words from? I can't remember which book that was!
No, it's The Two boys that had the best week ever or something along those lines. They went on a hiking trip and the dad or whoever was driving taught them the words LOL

I never pre-read, I just flip through and make sure there aren't 9 million words or boring pictures haha

DS1 is a VERY good reader so he is the one that asked me what &$#(*$@ spelled haha
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 04-17-2011 at 10:37 PM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
eek
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
No, it's The Two boys that had the best week ever or something along those lines. They went on a hiking trip and the dad or whoever was driving taught them the words LOL

I never pre-read, I just flip through and make sure there aren't 9 million words or boring pictures haha

DS1 is a VERY good reader so he is the one that asked me what &$#(*$@ spelled haha
Well darn it, now that's going to drive me nuts. I guess there's two books out there that have that in it! My 5 year old brought the one I'm thinking of home from school.
Mommy to DD#1 12, DS#1 10, DS#2 7, and DD#2 4!
Please be my swagbucks friend! Please?
Make money just from taking surveys here and here!
Follow my $20 weekly grocery budget on my blog!
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I pre-read everything my kids read. Which means these days I don't get to read anything for myself, but I think it is important. There really is a lot of junk out there.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

In general, no. I flip through to make sure it looks like something she'll like. I know I've had to creatively edit a couple of stories, though.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Typically, yes. If it is an author or book I'm not familiar with, I will. I read much of what my older kids read, too. They are 10 and 8.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote