Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Discouraged. Ear infection AFTER tubes--antibiotic advice please!

We put tubes in DS's ears about a month ago and Friday DH noticed blood in his left ear. We tissued some out--bright red! Called the ENT, whose nurse said it was probably an infection & since the ENT was in surgery, sent us to our regular pediatrician. She couldn't see past the blood but said it was most likely infection and she tried to prescribe oral antibiotics on top of the ear drops, but I asked to hold off on the oral antibiotics and give just the drops a try. Well, the drops stopped the bleeding and drainage from the ear, but this morning he woke up with 101 fever. He's had a ridiculously snotty nose and a cough, and I have the same thing, and I'm betting it's viral aside from the ear. The pediatrician said to call today if he was having any more symptoms so she could start him on an oral antibiotic....but since his ear is not draining anymore I really want to just see if it will run its course. I did call her, but I left a message saying if we could hold off on antibiotics and keep going with the drops, I'd prefer that.

I'm so discouraged. I thought tubes would help prevent these infections!!!

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Re: Discouraged. Ear infection AFTER tubes--antibiotic advice please!

I don't have any advice but I can tell you that I had a friend who's daughter had several ear infections after her tubes. There is a small percentage of chance that they will still happen. I hope your LO gets better soon! Ear infections are painful!

Last edited by Crew&West; 04-18-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Crew&West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
froggymiamore
Registered Users
seller

Take him to see a Chiropractor
Old 04-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
junejay4life
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd2 had to get tubes. She went a whole year before getting an infection. Blood and drainage with fever ect... Anyway we ended up having to do both the oral and drops. It took weeks to heal because I didn't want to do both. So she ended up on the drops for longer and the oral. I hate to use antibiotics but I think next time I'll just do the oral and drops if that's what the ENT says. Although I don't know much about ear infections or tubes. My 3rd child is having these problems. I never dealt with one ear infection until she was born. Good luck mama I hope your lo feels better soon.
June wife to Jason. Mom to Kianna(8/4/02), Kody (4/23/04), Katalina (born at home 5/16/07) and Kaden (born at home 11/23/09) and baby #5 due 11/27/12

junejay4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
ashmomof4
Registered Users
seller

Poor little guy!

I have had great luck with the herbal blend ALJ from Nature's sunshine-it dries my LO's up faster and better than an OTC decongestant. We also have had excellent results with using garlic & mullein oil to stop ear infections (topically, used in the ear). I don't know anything about tubes, but I'm sorry that your LO is still suffering.
ashmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has eartubes and has had a couple of infections since then (almost a year ago) when I mentioned them at the follow-up appts the ENT said that if something is coming out then something got in - basically calling us out on not using his ear plugs all the time.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My daughter had to get them at 9 months and has never had another ear infection. The standard of care if for 2 and unders to be treated with antibiotics. I would take your lo to the ENT asap. The reg. ped just won't have as in depth knowledge about this. That blood situation would scare me to death. To pp: we have never been told to use ear plugs and have had no problems.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
To pp: we have never been told to use ear plugs and have had no problems.
Should have clarified - only in the bath/water - not "all the time" all the time.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would call the ENT back, and ask to be seen personally.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #10
dogpaws
Registered Users

My Mood:

our DD has had tubes since last july. she has gotten many infections since, but since they drain the tubes are doing the job. she only gets them when she has a cold. most of the time we can fix them with the ear drops but twice she has also needed oral AB (since tube surgery) because the infection lasted more than 2 weeks!! we have had blood before and as long as the tubes were in (and the ear drum looks ok) the doctors weren't too worried. she's a happy, pretty healthy girl...

i always say instead of her nose running her ears do. LOL. i'm guessing we will have more ENT problems down the road with her, but that runs in our family (grossly large tonsils and adenoids, sinus problems)

GL with your LO. its not fun, but at least the infection is getting out instead of hiding behind the eardrum and hurting!!