Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do I always feel like a bad mom ...

I nurse dd on demand. I always nurse her before offering her solids. I have not noticed any decrease in her nursing or my supply since starting solids. We co-sleep and she nurses a good portion of the night. She is a heavy wetter!! She has decent size bowel movements atleast once a day, often more! She is my 3rd EBF baby.

Advertisement

Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #12
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, you're not a bad mom, you've got a crappy pediatrician.

My son IS having a weight gain issue but it has nothing to do with my milk! My milk is the ONLY thing that his body DOES digest properly!

I am busy with housework right now, but my story might be helpful to you, PM me if you want the details & I'll take the time to type it up for you.

We've been through A LOT in 18 months & my little guy is 29 1/2 inches, 19 lbs, (butt naked), and has LOST weight since his birthday with only a 5 oz gain in 6 months.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
wyatt09
B/T with caution

My Mood:

NEW DOCTOR.

AND

YOUR A GREAT MOM.
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
butterflygirl71
Registered Users
seller
seller

Fire your pediatrician! What a jerk! However, I will play the devil's advocate here so a sec. My 4th is on the Autism spectrum. I really didn't take her to the ped often because of delaying vaccines. Then when she was 2 1/2 and I took her in because of some developmental issues, they freaked on me. Told me they would have picked up on her issues sooner if I had brought her in for her well checks. But as far as your baby needing processed white flour products and formula, no! And she is fine with her height/weight. I would look for a new doctor.
butterflygirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #15
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I feel that way too and my mom makes me feel HORRIBLE about it. My DD hasn't been to a doctor since she was 6 months old or have vaccines since she was 4 months. My mom always tells me that CPS is going to get called on me. We've just moved so much, life has happened, and my DD has NEVER been sick so there hasn't been a reason to go to a doctor. I don't like going to well checks because the doctors always ask things that have nothing to do with wellness, which is what turned me off to them. The doctor was always pushing me to make her cry it out, told me I was a bad parent for not vaccinating her, and telling me it was such a good thing that I stayed home with DD which probably made WOHMs that came in feel bad. I just don't think that this stuff has anything to do with her health so I stopped going. I keep saying I'm going to take her in when we move next month just to cover my butt for her non being to a doctor in so long. My mom makes me paranoid saying CPS will get called on me.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #16
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

((hugs)) You need a new pedi, mama!

We have a pretty good pedi but he still gets on my case because I rarely bring my girls in for check ups. We don't vax, and they are never sick enough to need a doc visit. Actually, now that I think about it, DD2 hasn't seen the doctor since she was 9 months old (she's 28 months now.) We see a really awesome chiropractor regularly, and I sure as heck know my kids are healthy and growing. I don't need to pay $100 for someone else to tell me what I already know.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #17
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Oh good grief! My ds is below 5th percentile weight & my ped just tells me that it's because he's ebf & active, and not to worry over it. Get a new doc!

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fire your ped and find one that is more accepting of your views.

As far as the growth chart is concerned - as long as she has been in/close to the same percentile that's what matters. It's FTT if she starts dropping the percentiles.

That's the one bad thing (in my paranoid opinion) about skipping well baby visits - I always had supply problems so I wanted to know his weight so that I knew he was sticking to the charts. I also took him in for weight checks since he was quickly approaching out growing his car seat.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #19
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Honestly I find it very hard to believe that so many pediatricians are so awful. Well checks are important for a reason. They take info to and see if a baby is possibly in trouble from a dev. or health standpoint. Doctors are trained to know things that the average person wouldn't. You barely had a lapse in seeing the doctor and for a very good reason.

It just seems that everybody(nearly) here has contempt for their child's doctor and feels that they are being treated like an imbecile
Old 04-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #20
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
Honestly I find it very hard to believe that so many pediatricians are so awful. Well checks are important for a reason. They take info to and see if a baby is possibly in trouble from a dev. or health standpoint. Doctors are trained to know things that the average person wouldn't. You barely had a lapse in seeing the doctor and for a very good reason.

It just seems that everybody(nearly) here has contempt for their child's doctor and feels that they are being treated like an imbecile
I see very few people here who have contempt for their current ped. I see a few mommas on this thread that are saying they had a terrible ped and that they have found an awesome one they have now. I have always had an awesome ped because I stuck with the one we have now and she is fab. BUT there are a lot of peditricians out there that will recommend doing things that are contrary to the newest recommendations. As a lactation consultant, I cannot tell you how many times I have had clients that have been told to mix rice cereal in their breastmilk or artificial baby milk. Or how many mothers have been told ridiculous things about their breastmilk that is simply not true. Such as a mother that was told that her babe could not nurse and that she needed to stop asap because she had toxemia in the end of her pregnancy and her milk was no longer okay for the babe because of it. Or how many mothers have been told that their babes were starving because they were smaller than the average child, but they in fact, are from families that have smaller children and there is nothing wrong with them. I have had clients that their peditrician has recommended that they turn their babes around in the car seat to forward facing at 9 months old because they were long babes and they were over 20#.

The thing is in this thread you are going to hear of stories of some terrible peds because the OP has this experiance right now. And many are commiserating with her and encouraging her to stand up for her child. Most docs are in the business for well being, you are absolutely right. BUT there are docs out there that have lost sight of the mission.
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote