Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
my*2*angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: VENT - About ready to just roll up and cry

((((HUGS)))) I was in this EXACT situation with my first pregnancy! I was working at the time and due to having hyperemesis gravidarum (sp?) I lost my job along with my insurance! It was DEVASTATING! I also did not qualify for any assistance, but luckily my OB worked with me. I would call around and explain your situation. Maybe someone will help you and work with you! I am so sorry you are in this situation. It is so stressful!

And sometimes you can not qualify for assistance because you make only a small amount over the limit. Honestly, if you make only $50 over the limit, that by no means causes you to be able to afford medical care! With my first, I had to end up having an emergency csection to the tune of $10,000! I don't know many people with that kind of extra money even if they make too much for assistance.

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

Ah ok thanks for explaining ladies. I've either been poor enough to be on assistance or well enough not to be on assistance in my life. I guess I'm fortunate to have never been in that "gray" area.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
Lady T
Registered Users

My Mood:

DELETE

Last edited by Lady T; 12-07-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Lady T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
Lady T
Registered Users

My Mood:

DELETE

Last edited by Lady T; 12-07-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Lady T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yah it sucks how our country is set up like this!!

Old 04-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #16
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh to help you out, maybe you can cancel your cable /internet for a bit? I know cutting out our cable alone saves us 175 a month!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady T View Post
based on GROSS income AND they do not consider what your monthly expenses are. So though we make x amount GROSS, we may spend xx in housing, water,electric, car ins, phone,tv, internet, school loans, gas- which is now $4+/ gal, and food...they do not even ask to see your monthly expenses!!!
I feel your pain. DH was laid off in Jan of 2009, and the last of his unemployment benefits gave out last September (though not for lack of looking on his part - I/T is just flooded and all the companies are cutting back or outsourcing). When we bought our house it was based on both our incomes (and it's a 30+ year-old townhome, nothing fancy) - but now it's more than half what I bring in a month. We've cut back on everything we can - we don't even have cell phones! - and still come up short.... but we make just slightly too much to qualify for WIC or anything else. It's really frustrating.

I saw a report from United Way that it takes $54k/year to support a family of four in Minnesota, but more than half of all jobs in the state pay $23k/year or less. So even with two incomes, many people still come up short....

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
kelseyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is really sad and part of the reason there has been so much controversy surrounding our health care system. It is supposed to be better now, but obviously there are people who fall through the cracks. I really hope that you find something that works for you. I was wondering if you could work less for a month to qualify. Maybe just cut shifts to make up that $75 difference. It might be hard to get by for that month, but if you could get the insurance in the end it might be worth it. Not sure how many months of income they base it on though.

It is really frustrating that some people who are really trying to make it don't qualify for benefits, while others choose to live on welfare and not even try to get a job. It's a big flaw in the system.
kelseyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #19
mama2LEW
Registered Users
seller

Location: Somewhere in the middle, under piles of books, laundry, and kids!
My Mood:

Could you put your school loans on deferment, due to financial reasons, we've had friends do that. That might free up enough money monthly to purchase some medical insurance or start payments for the midwife. Just a thought.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #20
my*2*angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyjoy View Post
It is really sad and part of the reason there has been so much controversy surrounding our health care system. It is supposed to be better now, but obviously there are people who fall through the cracks. I really hope that you find something that works for you. I was wondering if you could work less for a month to qualify. Maybe just cut shifts to make up that $75 difference. It might be hard to get by for that month, but if you could get the insurance in the end it might be worth it. Not sure how many months of income they base it on though.

It is really frustrating that some people who are really trying to make it don't qualify for benefits, while others choose to live on welfare and not even try to get a job. It's a big flaw in the system.
I was thinking the same thing. If you could possibly make do without it for a month or 2, that might be your only option. The system really is so flawed in many ways. It really stinks for people who are working hard and trying to support themselves and just need a little help.