Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #21
EmilyAnn86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: VENT - About ready to just roll up and cry

What state do you live in?

Advertisement

Emily (26) Happily married to Chris since 8-5-2006 and mommy to David (6-13-2008) James (9-27-2009) and John (9-9-2011) and baby #4 due Aug 12th
God is our family planner. Bring on the blessings!! Psalm 127:3-5
EmilyAnn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #22
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

DDC but..sounds like you guys are going to need to cut out all extras. The reason they don't take your expenses into account is b/c they have an idea of how much BARE MINIMUM a family needs to survive, depending on family size. so, they don't care if you need to pay for your car insurance, or student loans or internet or cable, because those are not necessary for survival. So, looks like you'll just need to crack down and cut expenses, and like someone else said, call the student loan lenders and ask to have payments reduced or deferred.

Also, call around to more doctors. You should be able to see a doctor for a regular office visit for about $80 if you are a cash paying customer. Now, ultrasounds, lab tests, etc, will be more, but you should be able to pay the $80 and get in to see a doc. HTH some

P.S. I am not trying to sound harsh, and please don't take it that way, but sometimes we have to do what's less fun in order to do what's best.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #23
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you are slightly over the limit, cut back your income ny not working some. You can make some of the lost income by applying for WIC. That way your grocery bill will go down slightly and you Cam put that $ elsewhere. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #24
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

DDC, I think that you should definately call around some more. I have insurance but my OB gives a 20% discount to cash paying patients who don't have insurance. My insurance didn't cover my 20wk u/s and they gave me the discount. Even with insurance I've already had to pay around $1000 and that's just what they didn't cover and my %for the OB. I still have a $2500 deductible that I'll have to pay plus whatever % I'll have to pay for the hospital.

I agree with cutting back a little on your work schedual to make up that $75. you probably shouldn't be working 7 days a week being pregnant anyway....I know I couldn't do it. And I think someone already said if you cut back you'll probably be able to qualify for wic to help with the groceries.....you may actually already qualify for the wic now. I know here in OK the limit for wic is around $75-$100 more than the limit for soonercare.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 AM   #25
Lady T
Registered Users

My Mood:

DELETE

Last edited by Lady T; 12-07-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Lady T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #26
kelseyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is really tough. It sucks that it might be your only option. I would still re-apply for the state insurance while you are currently seeing your doctor. You might end up qualifying for the insurance and that will save you lots of money on the hospital stay. Sorry. It sounds like a huge mess. It tends to be that way when working with the state government. If you can cut back enough hours on the weekend to qualify I think the money will really add up in the end. Good luck. I know the paperwork mess is no fun.
kelseyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #27
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Brady View Post
The reason they don't take your expenses into account is b/c they have an idea of how much BARE MINIMUM a family needs to survive, depending on family size. so, they don't care if you need to pay for your car insurance, or student loans or internet or cable, because those are not necessary for survival. So, looks like you'll just need to crack down and cut expenses, and like someone else said, call the student loan lenders and ask to have payments reduced or deferred.
I have to politely disagree on some of this. If you don't pay for car insurance, you can't drive. How are you supposed to get to your job? If you don't have internet and your spouse is looking for a job, how is s/he supposed to search for and apply for jobs? The library is hardly conducive for that, and not everyone has a laptop they can take to a wifi spot. We have cable - but just basic, and only because basic cable + internet is cheaper than internet alone ( - yeah, I don't get it either - and the whole shebang is only $60/month, which wouldn't get us low enough to qualify anyway). We've got DH's student loans on deferment and his car insurance is at bare minimum because he doesn't drive much anymore, we don't have car payments, and I'm salaried so cutting back on hours to qualify for coverage isn't an option. (Also, it would disqualify me from the health insurance I'm lucky to have, crappy as it is.) We don't go out to eat. We don't get fancy coffees at Starbucks. We don't have cell phones. We live off the bare minimum of groceries, and I freely admit to scavanging abandoned meeting rooms at work for leftover food to help supplement things.

I know this post isn't about me and my financial woes, but there's this rampant misconception that if a family just cuts out the extras they'll be fine. It works to a point, sure - especially if you lived with a lot of Starbucks-type luxuries in the first place - but eventually you run out of extras to cut.

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #28
my*2*angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They also base it on gross income, before taxes are even taken out, and I am pretty sure it is necessary to pay those!LOL
Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #29
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Obviously there are a lot of flaws in the system. People that need help can't get it because the "powers that be" assume that you have extra money if you make "X amount," and that just isn't the case all the time. To avoid getting in a healthcare debate, I'll avoid that subject though...

Is there any other doctors or midwives not directly in your town (maybe 20-30 minutes away?) that you can check with. Those costs seem VERY high to me. I go to a high-end OB/GYN practice (that has all the high-tech stuff, in house lab, etc...) and the out-of-pocket cost for a regular visit is $128. You can also look at local family practice doctors-while they may not be able to deliver you or deal with high risk issues, they can most likely check your urine, blood, and baby's heartbeat and would be qualified to send an order to a hospital or imaging facility for an ultrasound. Many times family practices are more flexible-might be worth a look? At the very least, it could possibly cut some money prior to your delivery.

Also, if you are going to have to pay out of pocket, I would highly suggest you sit down with your DH and make a strict budget. I'm not suggesting you live frivolously or anything like that, but if you can get EVERYTHING you spend on paper, and really look and see what (if anything) you can cut back, and set aside extra, you might not feel the crunch so badly later. My DH and I are bad about "guesstimating" our expenses, but when we sat down and did this when I opted to quit my job and be a SAHM, it was crazy how much little expenses were really denting our income. Things you can check are your local utilities (many times they will do a "bundle" cost-instead of possibly getting hit with a high mid-summer or mid-winter electric bill, they will base it on our past year's averages and that's what we pay per month). Maybe check into carpooling to work/school to cut gas costs, those types of things. While they aren't the reason you're stuck in a bad position, they might help ease the burden if it's possible.

Lots of . It will all work out and in the end, you will have a beautiful baby.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #30
luciaannie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So many american families do not meet the income level to qualify for medicaid and have jobs that do not offer insurance. Buying insurance is so expensive! and would be difficult to pay for out of pocket, impossible perhaps, so I completely understand mama and feel for you.

My first pregnancy I did find a lay nurse midwife for a homebirth, she was excellent and her fees were sliding, I paid $1000 that was 6 years ago. I actually did have medicaid at that time (had just come back from volunteering in Central America), but I wanted a natural birth and had a birth plan. I knew that my local hospital would not be accomadating with a birth plan and no midwives delivered there (b/c I had worked as a RN on the mother/baby unit years prior), so that's why although a homebirth was a little more than I wanted to take on at the time, I knew in my heart that it was the best of the 2 options. My homebirth had a great outcome

Good luck , mama, will be thinking of you!