Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:18 AM   #31
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: VENT - About ready to just roll up and cry

DDC here.

I too think you might have better luck working with a homebirth midwife (if that is something you would be comfortable with). I know you said you don't know of any in your area, but sometimes they are there and just hard to find - they don't usually advertise like other medical providers. Check out mothersnaturally.org - they have a Locate a Midwife tool you can try. Also, keep in mind that midwives will sometimes travel farther than one might think. Mine is about 2 hours from me. For ALL my care, prenatals, birth, and postpartum, I have to pay $2400. My last birth was at an accredited birth center within a hospital (so no epidural, no medications at all, a stay of less than 30 hours total), and it was about $14,000 - fortunately I was insured, but that is still CRAZY expensive. Also, my midwife does not require the full amount up front to start care. She has a very reasonable payment plan.

If this will not work for you for whatever reason, then I would (as others have said) talk to the office of the providers you want to see. There prices ARE negotiable, even if they don't say that. Explain your situation and see what you can work out with them.

As for the hospital, they CANNOT refuse you because of your ability to pay. So they will see you and care for you. They might then send you some whoppers of bills, but you can only pay what you can pay. So, get the care you need, and then negotiate to set up payment plans for those bills. That's really all you can do. I know it's hard not to stress, but it really won't do you any good. Just do what you can and know that is all you can do.

And as a final note, there is now an income based repayment plan for certain types of student loans. As of right now, that may or may not (probably not I'm guessing) get your student loan payments reduced. BUT, once you have the baby and your family size is 3 rather than 2, there is a good chance you can get your payments reduced with that plan. Which would, at the least, free up some money that you could then use to pay the medical bills.

Good luck, mama. I know it is a tough situation to be in :-( It will work out though, one way or the other. You'll get through it .

Advertisement