Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
silverangel313
Registered Users

My Mood:
A less traumatizing bath?

Ok, some info here first.. DS is almost 15 months and he's always liked taking baths and playing in the tub! But as soon as it came time to wash his hair, he has a total and complete meltdown, like I've never heard him cry like this any other time!

Lately he's starting to not even like getting into the tub anymore because he knows whats going to happen! I also admit that I'm not even bathing him as much because I don't want him to freak out!

Is there any way that I can get him to love bathtime again, and even at least get used to the idea of having his hair washed?

Advertisement

silverangel313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
TuthGuru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A less traumatizing bath?

Maybe you could get him a baby doll and have him give it a bath? Have you tried getting in with him? We bathe every night so I don't wash hair every time. You could do that too. Bathe him a few times without washing his hair so he can have fun a few times first, maybe?
TuthGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
TuthGuru
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and sometimes the sound and force of the water is scary. Tyr filling the tub up BEFORE he goes in there and maybe place a new toy in there he can't resist? (Or the baby doll I mentioned, maybe?)

Good Luck!
TuthGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I actually had to separate the hair washing and bath time for a bit. I started washing his hair in the kitchen sink and I don't know if it was the novelty or the fact he could stay dressed that made him more cooperative. I did it this way for a bit and we were able to go back to washing hair during bath recently.

Good luck. Bath time was always so relaxing for my other kids so I felt bad when ds gets so upset.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
silverangel313
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yeah, I've tried taking a bath with him and I've also tried holding him in the shower.. Both total failures... I could just not wash his hair in the tub.. I kinda like that idea of washing his hair separately in the sink..

Agla, did your DS freak out for the sink too? I'm afraid he'll do the same thing there..

I know what you mean though, my DD LOVES bathtime! She could spend hours swimming in the tub! lol
silverangel313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

Is there something that upsets him specifically about washing his hair? My youngest used to absolutely hate getting her hair washed, so I started washing and rinsing it with a wash cloth instead. It eliminated the bucket of water being dumped on her head. Now, at two, she can wash and rinse it herself so it's not an issue.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
DD is the same way. We've done a few things. To get her to love the bath again we bought some Crayola bath tabs that color the water. She loves picking what color to make the bath. Some times we even put one in a peri bottle (what else are you going to use a peri bottle for ) so she can spray the color. To deal with the hair issue we've bought a bath visor which has helped some. We also wet her hair by wiping it with a wet washcloth. It takes a long time to wet her hair that way but it doesn't scare her like dumping water on her head. She is fine with the washing part so that is good. But rinsing is hard. We use the visor and we also make a game of rinsing. DD loves animal sounds, so we will rinse her arm while saying "meow" and then rinse her leg while saying "moo" and then rinse her back while saying "oink" and then move onto her hair while saying another animal sound. Then start all over again. We have to rinse her hair in stages, just a little at a time, so she doesn't freak out. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it works (well, most of the time) so we are going with it. She also sometimes responds to us letting her rinse our hair. She is more open to letting us rinse her hair if she gets to rinse ours.

Last edited by Janine; 04-18-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Piper's Closet
Registered Users
Formerly: ewalk585 **DO NOT FSOT~ADMIN**

My Mood:

The best i have found is to put stickers on the ceiling of the tub on something he would know or like. We use birds, then when washing hair "look at the birdy's, where is the birdy's ,ect to get the kids to look and not get soap in eyes.
Piper's Closet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH hung some windchimes up above our garden tub in our room (which the kids love because they think its a swimming pool ) I have DD look up at those and tell me what's on them in order to get her to tip her head back far enough to rinse her hair. Letting her help wash her brother's hair first also really helped, now she's fine with it. I think part of its just a phase, both of my kids went through it. I guess worse case scenario...ummm...fill up a kiddie pool with just plain water & no chemicals and let him get his hair wet in there? Unless they're getting really dirty, most kids don't *need* shampoo.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Have you tried bubbles? I know bubble baths can be irritating for some kids but they were the magic answer for one of our kids. He would scream and stiffen himself up so you couldn't put him into the tub. My husband added bubbles one day in desperation and now the child runs upstairs for baths and cries when you take him out of the tub.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote