Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
laniesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When you lose you temper with your kids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEarthMama View Post
I apologize... And just let them know mommy got upset... but still loves them no less, and explain why I got upset..
This is me too. And I always feel so darn guilty for losing control. Being a parent is so tough.

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
naomi's mama
Registered Users
seller

I went through this last week with my 4 yr old too. It's like "terrible 4's" with us here. I normally don't lose my cool, but it seems like since she turned 4, she's really testing me and all the whining (aah! that's the number 1 rule here "no whining") and me talking to the wall (#2 rule here - mom & dad only ask once. she likes saying "wait a minute, I'm busy right now!")

Anyhow, I felt bad. I did apologize.
naomi's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
mommasmith
Registered Users

ditto the above. A great learning experience. We all make mistakes but apologies are important as words whether meant or not hurt. I will tell my kids yes you were wrong for doing xyz but I was wrong in the way I handled it, etc.
mommasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son doesn't really understand yet, but I apologize and remind him that I love him. It helps me too, to recognize that even though I was very upset or annoyed or whatever... I shouldn't have lost my temper.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
cbreeding
Registered Users

If my behavior/actions were done by either my spouse or children or a friend, and I would expect an apology then I would apologize to my children for those actions/words/behaviors that were wrong. I think the number 1 way children learn is by observation and modeling what they observe.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #16
Hbug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always apologize. Even if they've done something gosh awful.
Hbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #17
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by angely_06
I apologize for yelling, if I feel I over reacted, but still explain that what they did is wrong. DD has a habit of (sometimes) apologizing right as I'm about to reprimand her, because she knows what she did was wrong and I think she doesn't like seeing me mad.
I think cooling down before apologizing is a great idea. My dad used to do this all the time, I think thats where I get it from lol.
And i agree with enforcing your punishment.
That. Apologize but also reinforce why you were upset and the consequences (not punishment but consequences in our house) stand.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
llamabeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hah I use to scream at my older kids. Then I learned to take a step back, send them to their rooms for however long it took to settle down & then go in and talk to them like a sane person.

Sent from my iPhone who loves to autocorrect "live" into "lube"
Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #19
Glassgal
Registered Users

My mom never apologized to me when she yelled at me and I have to say I harnessed a lot of resentment about some of the things she said to me while angry. It took me a long time to get over some of them.
That being said I always apologize to dd for loosing my cool. She doesn't get away with anything but I tell her I'm sorry for yelling explain why i did yell and that I love her no matter what. It is really important to me to do that after the way I was raised.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #20
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Yeah, I do. I walk away, cool off, and then get down on her level (usually her seated in the time out chair), explain that it was not a good thing what she did and why, but it was also not a good thing that mommy flew off the handle and yelled at her, and that mommy should have found another way to deal with the fact that she was angry. Then I reinforce the fact that I love her and we usually cuddle up for a few minutes, and then time out is over, and we get to fixing waht the problem was (most recent was writing on the wall with dry erase marker).
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote