Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you night-wean w/o CIO??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
Well, you know what we did. It was hard and took months but it worked. We have to keep our hand on her and stand over her crib for a while at night and she'll fall back asleep. I guess if patting his back doesn't work then what we did won't work. We bounced her up and down by pushing on her butt. Of course now that she is teething and up all night, it was all a waste. Sigh. Good luck.
O/T...but CONGRATS girl!!! I just saw your siggy!!!!

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
amandabarugh
Registered Users
seller

No good answers. My son was 2.5 before I night-weaned him, and we did have a few nights with him crying while we cuddled. They were few though.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Another no help but sympathy. Dd3 is turning 12 mos on Saturday and um not sttn. We half co sleep. That is I put her down in her crib until the first time she wakes up after I am in bed. From that point on we co sleep unless dh is up late, then sometimes he'll transfer her back to the crib and she'll be there til she wakes again - and the our bed for the remainder. I sleep better without her, but I'd rather sleep more with her than sit up. It still sucks (literally?) but it's mostly bearable.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
O/T...but CONGRATS girl!!! I just saw your siggy!!!!
Thanks
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #15
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I sure wish I knew! Our story sounds almost identical to yours, although DS sleeps in a pack n play in our room part of the night and in a crib in DD's room part of the night. I don't think he will EVER night-wean. He just wants to nurse and go right back to sleep.
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #16
SavageMamma
Registered Users

I started this friday using the feed up until 11pm then not again until 5ish (I can't remember the name I saw it on a thread here).
So far it is tough but easier than I thought. I don't like CIO either, but he does fuss quite a bit. I will hug him, kiss him pat his back and sing or shush, with all or some of those things it takes him maybe max of 5mins to quit crying fussing and settle back down. This is what's most surprising as he will throw a fit when he's not allowed to nurse so I was scared but it's been surprisingly ok.
He has about five soothers in there with him to make them easy to find and a sippy of water. In the couple days I've been really doing it he has been getting up later and later to complain. So before he would be getting up at 9/10ish(bed at 730ish) then again around 1/2ish (optional sometimes he wouldn't it would be closer to 3) then 4/5ish then up for the day around 7/8ish.
Now he gets up his once before 11 I nurse him that time (he does actually guzzle) then he won't get up again until 3ish then it's fuss fuss fuss but I just comfort him and as long as he's touching me he's ok.
Sometimes I have to lay on the floor, as I don't want to trade one thing for another by bed sharing because with his personality (sensitive cuddly man) he would never leave LOL!
I tried feeding him more during the day as well but he eats so darn much already as he's such a monster (30lbs and 33.5in at 13mths) that it didn't matter.
I am hoping by the end of this week he will at least be sleeping straight through from 11 to 5!
Good luck!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
We also coslept and my son was older as well--about 16-18 months old--when we night weaned. The only thing that made it possible was my husband's willingness to take care of him in the middle of the night, which often meant taking our son out of bed and away from me to comfort him (or, me leaving the room.) It took several nights of that but after awhile if he woke up in the middle of the night to nurse I would just tell him they (my boobs) were sleeping and he could nurse when the sun was up.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #18
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd start with shortening the amount of time he gets to nurse per side. Instead of letting him stop when he's full, stop him when it's half gone, move to the other side, do the same, snuggle, then bed. Slowly work back until it's not nursing and just snuggling, if he's still waking. Eventually, he'll stop waking and asking to nurse if it's no longer an option.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #19
sstarfish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the good advice, ladies!

Believe you me, if we could co-sleep and have him semi-STTN, then I would! I've tried bringing him into our bed when he's been sick (because I figured we'd all get a little more sleep that way), and he won't do it. He talks to himself, kicks, rolls around.... he's just not a "quiet" kid and my DH is the lightest. sleeper. EVA!

Hilary's comment made me realize that maybe I should check his mouth, cuz maybe he's teething (his night waking has gotten slightly worse lately.....).... and there's a huge pointy molar poking up, not quite through.

Poor baby! So what do you all do for teething, besides amber? No wonder he's been in with his Super Yummy teether lately.....

I think that I"ll just have to get used to less sleep from the sounds of it.... maybe I'll have to just make time for a nap every day
Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #20
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarfish View Post
Maybe I should just suck it up and deal, right? I just read the thread about stupid things non-parents say, and all I keep thinking about is.... I feel like I can't even complain about being tired, because I'm the one 1) who chose to have kids, much less 3, and 2) who is choosing NOT to CIO. It really sucks when you feel like complaining and you know that everyone will judge you if you do!
Yeah, heaven forbit you fufil TWO biological functions like sleep AND procreation. It must me one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbit View Post
. We started a couple days before hand just telling him that soon there would be no more mama milk at night.
This works for my kid too. Hes one of those people that will watch other kids play for *hours* before joining. He has to think it all through before he does anything. Talking about whats going to happen makes all the difference. We moved him into his own bed recently, and we set up the bed, and talked about (well, I talked to him, he doesn't say much) the bed and how he was going to sleep there with mister, and his blankets. Wouldn't you know, the first night, he climed right in and didn't have a problem! I'm hoping hyping "own room" provides similar results!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarfish View Post
Hilary's comment made me realize that maybe I should check his mouth, cuz maybe he's teething (his night waking has gotten slightly worse lately.....).... and there's a huge pointy molar poking up, not quite through.

Poor baby! So what do you all do for teething, besides amber? No wonder he's been in with his Super Yummy teether lately.....

I think that I"ll just have to get used to less sleep from the sounds of it.... maybe I'll have to just make time for a nap every day
Teething messes up everything.... I think we are doing 2 year molars and its affecting his sleep

Good luck!