Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #21
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you night-wean w/o CIO??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarfish View Post
Thanks for all the good advice, ladies!

Believe you me, if we could co-sleep and have him semi-STTN, then I would! I've tried bringing him into our bed when he's been sick (because I figured we'd all get a little more sleep that way), and he won't do it. He talks to himself, kicks, rolls around.... he's just not a "quiet" kid and my DH is the lightest. sleeper. EVA!

Hilary's comment made me realize that maybe I should check his mouth, cuz maybe he's teething (his night waking has gotten slightly worse lately.....).... and there's a huge pointy molar poking up, not quite through.

Poor baby! So what do you all do for teething, besides amber? No wonder he's been in with his Super Yummy teether lately.....

I think that I"ll just have to get used to less sleep from the sounds of it.... maybe I'll have to just make time for a nap every day
Oh yeah, like Kriket said, teething can throw everything off!

My 2 year old [who will be 3 in about 2.5 months] is finally cutting his last 2nd year molar! It's taken nearly a year for all 4 to come in. I was told that molars are the hardest teeth since they are flat and don't have as much pointiness to help poke through.

For use, I would put Gum-0-mile on his gums, before nursing, before bed along with teething tablets [or motrin in you prefer] and that helped a lot! I'd typically have to redose once through the night.

I Gum o mile since it's natural and it smells good.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Advertisement

Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #22
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Some 12 month olds simply need to drink at night. Mine did. The only thing that helped us was that my youngest weaned at 12 months to a cup. Once he weaned, he no longer woke from hunger at night. He does still wake during hte night between 1-3 times. He will come into our bed or I go to his.

My 2 1/2 year old is PDD and has never and still doesn't sleep through the night. Most doctors will tell you to expect some night waking till at least the age of 4.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #23
sstarfish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=Terra;12763814]Oh yeah, like Kriket said, teething can throw everything off!

My 2 year old [who will be 3 in about 2.5 months] is finally cutting his last 2nd year molar! It's taken nearly a year for all 4 to come in. I was told that molars are the hardest teeth since they are flat and don't have as much pointiness to help poke through.

For use, I would put Gum-0-mile on his gums, before nursing, before bed along with teething tablets [or motrin in you prefer] and that helped a lot! I'd typically have to redose once through the night.

I Gum o mile since it's natural and it smells good.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

So you think that stuff works? My FIL was like, "Why don't you just give him some Orajel?" Because it's full of gross stuff and it doesn't work! Maybe I should just do the blackberry brandy like my grandmother did.....
Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #24
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Perhaps a modified version of this would help? We coslept and nightweaned. There was some crying. It was the same kind of angry crying that happens when I won't allow my baby to play with something dangerous. By this age, babies know you aren't gone forever when you leave the room. They also understand no and not now. They will tell you they don't like it, but they understand it.

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html
Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #25
lenmont
Registered Users
seller
seller

I feel your pain, mama! DD was the same way - up every two hours to nurse from day one until 21 months.

I used the Jay Gordon method to nightwean semi-successfully at 15 months, but then some teeth started popping in (molars, I think?) and we were back to square one. Finally, when DD was 21 months, we got a break from teething and I was able to nightwean. I started out by shortening the amount of time she spent nursing by maybe 10-15 seconds. Then three nights later, I shortened it again, until we were down to 10 seconds nursing, at which point she didn't feel like it was worth it to nurse and she fell asleep on her own.

I used a code word ("good night, milk") and she quickly learned that when I said the code word, that she needed to unlatch. I also used the phrase "the milk's sleeping, you need to sleep too" to help keep her from asking too much. Those things might not work for your LO since he's still young, but it's worth a shot.
lenmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #26
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Aubrey's bottom canines came through and she slept better last night. Orajel never works. I've never thought of Motrin and I'm getting some of the Gum O Mile stuff before her top canines come in!

I wanted to mention to you Sara that last night, while Aubrey did wake up quite a bit, she was not in hysterics like usual. I heard her in there whining a little and then she'd be silent so I told myself I wouldn't go in there unless she actually started crying. I left her a sippy cup in her bed last night for the first time ever and this morning it was empty so I think that helped a lot, if you want to try that.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #27
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarfish View Post
So you think that stuff works? My FIL was like, "Why don't you just give him some Orajel?" Because it's full of gross stuff and it doesn't work! Maybe I should just do the blackberry brandy like my grandmother did.....
I know it worked for us Aaron when through the stage of wanting gum/bite my while nursing because of the pain. I'd put that on before nursing and it really nipped the biting in the bud!

I agree, orajel is not good nor recommended.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #28
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We also did Dr. Jay Gordon's night weaning method at 11 months. At that time my son woke up every 1.5 to 2 hours to nurse, and like yours, would nurse for just a few minutes and go back to bed. However, I was in my first tri and completely exhausted. So, we did this method.

I braced myself for some terrible crying episodes, but oddly we didn't have any. Some fussing, but I would just pick him up and rock him a bit, then lay him back down in his crib. I did stay in his room for a few hours the middle nights, but mostly because I passed out.

Did he sttn right away? No. But, he was able to go back to sleep without nursing, and we still went in to comfort him every time he woke up crying. It's been about 6 weeks since we did this, and he does sleep now usually from 8:30 until 6am, some nights are better than others. So, not a miracle fix but a step in the right direction!!
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #29
catilina
Registered Users
seller

We also (loosely) used Jay Gordon's method for night-weaning (though we weren't still cosleeping).

DS was about 18-19 months, and DD was 22 months. I did it as early as I felt each of my kids would really understand and be able to communicate with me about it. We talked about it a lot before we ever started making changes, and then we implemented the "nursies are going to sleep. say good night to nursies." stuff. With each of my kids it took a long time before they actually slept through the night. I was still in there with them several times a night (or, all night for many nights, with my son...), but I didn't nurse and as the nights passed I would gradually lessen my interactions with them. I started out with holding and rocking and singing-basically doing whatever it took to get them back to sleep without actually nursing, then moved on to holding but not rocking, then to holding while standing but not sitting in the chair, then to patting but not picking up, then to a hand on the belly/back but no patting, then to holding a hand through the crib slats while lying down. That's where DS finally gave up and decided it wasn't worth waking up anymore! DS got really clingy and difficult during the day and wouldn't nap for a few weeks when we first started, but when he eventually started sleeping through the night he was back to his happy, napping self! DD took longer to actually start sleeping straight through the night, but it didn't affect her personality like it did with DS and she didn't require as much nighttime parenting during those weeks as DS did. DD also has been sick a few times since she night-weaned, and I have nursed her during the night on those occasions, and she has easily gone back to sleeping through the night when she is well again. DS on the other hand would not have. So much really depends on the personality of your child.

That's why I say we "loosely" used Jay Gordon's method. We tailored a lot of it to fit both of our children's individual personalities. I know people use that method as young as 12 months, so that is something you can look into (I think some PP posted a link). I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using it that early, but like I said, it really depends on your child. I know how consuming that sleep deprivation can be and how horrible it feels, even if he is your only child and he is "only" 12 months and still not STTN- it still sucks! You're not alone, and there are options if you want to nightwean without CIO. Good luck!

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #30
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't nightwean until DD1 was 18 months old and I was preggo and it hurt to nurse so something HAD to give. We got a sippy with water and since we cosleep she laid next to me as always, when she asked to nurse, I told her "nummies are sleeping". She howled, cried, and screamed like she was being tortured. I held her and rocked her but since my boobs so close it made her madder. So for 3 nights DH rocked my hysterical baby in his arms while making soothing sounds in a room away from me until she fell asleep. I took well over an hour each night. Then she seemed to get it and not cry so bad when I told her they were asleep. IT SUCKED, I cried as hard as she did sometimes while listening to her with DH. But if I could nurse a child exclusively without solids for 14 months (her choice,not mine) and then nurse through part of another pregnancy with all of of my discomfort, he felt he could deal with this. We started over the weekend so that he could sleep in. Truthfully, that was the most either of us had ever been up with her at night, the combo of cosleeping and bf'ing had made her a pretty easy baby to soothe and get to sleep. And I break all of the rules: nurse them to sleep almost every night, nurse while in the bed during the night, nurse down for naps, nurse on demand and to just to shut them up for a few minutes, lol. About a week into nightweaning she seemed over it completely and took her water sippy to bed without a fuss. Whenever you decide, just hang in there, it won't be horrible forever and your baby doesn't need to cry alone to learn anything.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote