Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Potty Training Help.

Soooo! I have split custody with my 3 middle kids. My ex and I split up when dd #2 was 3 and wasn't potty trained yet. Ok fine, no huge biggie. She was extremely stubborn and I knew that. Then she hit 4 and still nothing. She knew what to do, just refused to do it. Well, CPS got involved with my ex-and me as a result-and the social worker we were assigned felt that she wasn't not potty training because of lack of ability and I completely agreed. I had been trying to teach her for months and months, but my ex refused to stop using diapers, so I never got anywhere. It took CPS telling him to stop with the diapers NOW for progress to be made. Within a week she was using the potty 100% of the time and was even dry at night.

Fast forward to now. My 2.5 year old initiated pottying on his own. Great! He was doing awesome the first couple of weeks, rarely having accidents, using the potty very consistently. But, we're having the same issue again. My ex refuses to stop using diapers, so DS stopped using the potty most of the time, decided that he'd rather use diapers (he TOLD me this), and is now basically doing what his sister was.

How in the heck do I potty train a child when the other parent won't cooperate?? Is it futile to even keep trying? Its been close to 6 months now since he first started and I still offer him the potty several times a day, but he rarely goes. For awhile, I took away his diapers here hoping that he'd at least train here, but no luck...he just pees in his underwear all the time and begs for diapers. Its just sending this constant mixed message-its ok to pee in diapers, no wait, you need to use the potty, no back to diapers...I just don't know what to do. Should I mention it to the CPS worker he has involved now? I know he isn't as old so they might not care, but it was what got him to cooperate before....ugh, its just so frustrating and annoying.

Advertisement

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Kayleen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Potty Training Help.

Couldn't hurt to mention it. State the situation with the older child and what's going on now. You would think it would be easier to get the child PT'd sooner so as to buy less dipes.
Kayleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
DocsNemesis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah, he doesnt mind buying diapers. He just doesn't want to hve to clean up an accident. Ugh.

www.Hyenacart.com/Naked for dyed tee's, flats, yarn, and soon, bamboo prefolds! Stocking 7/20!
DocsNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post
Yeah, he doesnt mind buying diapers. He just doesn't want to hve to clean up an accident. Ugh.
If he'd stop mixing signals there wouldn't BE many accidents

I feel for you mama Honestly, I would first mention to him a reminder that CPS told him to stop sending mixed messages and delaying progress. If that doesn't make him rethink it, I would mention it to them. They might not consider as damaging as with the older one, but I would. Messages like that at any age do all harm and no good.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #5
pcjs
Registered Users

Keep it up but don't get upset by accidents. I don't get that but nothing you can do. Sorry your ex sucks at this stuff.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
Winter
Registered Users
seller

1 word: BRIBERY!
Make your son an offer he can't refuse. Give him tokens for every time he uses the potty and once he has a small container full, he gets X, Y or Z. Have the prizes on hand so the goal seems attainable to him, but don't give it to him unless he meets his goal. Give him tokens if he uses the potty at dad's house too. If dad won't cooperate in the token system, get your oldest to help record the good work there too.

Last edited by Winter; 04-18-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
psylion
Registered Users
seller

My DD was PT at daycare before she was at home. She wasn't even 2 yet and I wasn't ready to give up her cute cloth. So it is possible for kids to different stuff in different situations. At the daycare they did have the advantage of all the kids went potty every go often so they had peer pressure on their side.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum