Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hygeia vs Medela

Has anyone used the two, or a Hygeia? I've used the Medela PISA, but the motor stopped just 6 weeks in and it wasn't one of the recalled ones. I really didn't like it though. I'm currently using the Medela Swing which is a single pump. I nurse ds2 and am donating my extra breastmilk and I just don't have the time to sit for 40 minutes every 2 hours pumping. I would like another double pump and would like the Hygeia but I've never used it and I've never met someone who did.

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
payger
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Hygeia vs Medela

The Hygeia is amazing It even has a button to record your baby's cry. I found that I got the same amount of milk if not even a bit more than with my medela. Also good for you to know that the motor has a three year warranty and they are FDA approved to be resold.. Also they are not built into the bag like most pumps and come with a bag that does not scream I AM CARRYING A BREAST PUMP! Also they have internal batteries so you don't have to be plugged into the wall.
Long story short love my hygeia and I am never looking back
payger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
rushtodanger
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hygeia vs Medela

As far as personal use pumps go, I have used a Medela Freestyle, and older Medela PIS and a Hygeia Enjoye.

I'm pretty happy with my Hygeia. I travel for work and sometimes have to pump in my car, so I really like the internal battery. (I think this is an optional feature, so make sure you're buying the correct one if this is something you need). The battery seems to last a long time after charging and I've never had it die on me.

I also really like that it has a separate speed control and suction control. It does have an audio recording feature. I don't use it, but I've heard people say that it is really helpful for them for triggering let-down.

I did not especially like the Hygeia breastshields that came with the pump. They are one piece and I found them hard to clean. They fit the wider mouth collection bottles that come with the pump, but they also fit standard bottles with the adapter rings that are also included. Medela breastshields do work with the Hygeia pump though, so I just use them instead.

The only things that I have noticed with the Hygeia pump that I'm not 100% happy with is although it ran pretty quietly when I first got it six months ago, it seems to have gotten increasing louder since then. I also feel that it has maybe lost a little bit of suction. I usually have it set at the highest speed and the highest suction, and sometimes I still wish I could bump it up a little bit more. That might just be me, though!

Overall, I think it's a pretty decent pump. If mine broke tomorrow, I would likely buy another. Sorry, I've written too much- hope it was helpful!
rushtodanger is offline   Reply With Quote