View Poll Results: Would you teach your DD to pee standing up outdoors?
Yes, and she would use a pstyle. 15 26.32%
Yes, she can do it without a tool by squatting. 13 22.81%
No, she can go the old fashioned way with her pants around her knees. 32 56.14%
No, she can hold it all day. 1 1.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
Winter
Registered Users
seller

Re: Would you teach your daughter to pee standing up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savmaralamommy View Post
um, what's an outdoor school? Sounds neat!

It is a school that takes place on site outdoors with ecology as the main focus. It is also a research project that is being used to determine if children learn better in outdoor settings. We will be there in all types of weather, and will sometimes have tents for shelter, but the participants will need to be geared for any type of weather.

Advertisement

Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
It is a school that takes place on site outdoors with ecology as the main focus. It is also a research project that is being used to determine if children learn better in outdoor settings. We will be there in all types of weather, and will sometimes have tents for shelter, but the participants will need to be geared for any type of weather.
wow, is it expensive? Is it for just children or for families? Really cool!
Old 04-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is Wild! I made my husband watch the video too. But no, I wouldn't actually buy one and have my kids use it. I imagine pee EVERYWHERE.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by savmaralamommy

wow, is it expensive? Is it for just children or for families? Really cool!
Neat! I'm curious too. Family or just the kids? Is it like camp, or like 8-3p?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
Winter
Registered Users
seller

It is at least partially funded by a grant until 2015. Registration was based on first come/first served application, interview & screening process with a limit of 60 students from K-7. There is a waitlist for new students. We were lucky because we knew about it being in the works from when I HSd my DD1. I think our expense will be in obtaining the proper gear for 3 people to attend, rather than sending a student off to PS with a backpack full of school supplies. We've already bought some gear, but there is much more needed if we are to be prepared properly. We'll be buying clothing more than things from Staples for our list of supplies.
It is looking like younger siblings and parent volunteers/participants will be a good part of the community, so I'm planning on adopting it as a lifestyle.
ETA The hours will run paralell with school hours. I am not sure if the K students will be on for full days, but I believe they will since the public schools are all switching over in September and this is technically a public school, although many HSrs are enrolled.

Last edited by Winter; 04-18-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #16
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow I'm totally jealous of that school. Where do you live? (I'm on my dang phone app so I can't see siggys and such) I would get it for my dd if you get any kind of winter and she will be in snow pants or a snow suit.

On a side note I am in alaska and I'm pretty AR about outdoor gear, if you need recommendations for rain gear etc
EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 AM   #17
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

If I were you I'd go with pstyle no matter how steep the learning curve is. I just googled your temperature for today and! Admittedly I am a total wuss about the cold, but your crazy brave to do outdoor school in BC in February. Id have a hard time doing indoor school there!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #18
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am in love with the outdoor school idea! Off to google

I am torn on the peeing thing. I don't think it's approprate to pee all over the place. I travel with a shovel for a reason
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
Winter
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLynn View Post
Wow I'm totally jealous of that school. Where do you live? (I'm on my dang phone app so I can't see siggys and such) I would get it for my dd if you get any kind of winter and she will be in snow pants or a snow suit.

On a side note I am in alaska and I'm pretty AR about outdoor gear, if you need recommendations for rain gear etc
Thanks! We got some rain gear from MEC and we have a few more things to get from there. I really like their lined pants & I'd like to get a few pairs. I also want to check out the Storm Tech clearance outlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahcapemay View Post
If I were you I'd go with pstyle no matter how steep the learning curve is. I just googled your temperature for today and! Admittedly I am a total wuss about the cold, but your crazy brave to do outdoor school in BC in February. Id have a hard time doing indoor school there!
Yeah, we're trying to incorporate being outdoors more now so we won't be grumbling next year. We were out for a few hours yesterday catching snakes and the temp was actually nice. DD even had her coat off and I wore a light sweater.
I'm willing to bet that the pstyle is not that hard to use. I think with 60 kids + administrators, researchers, parents & random strangers nearby, it might be a good thing to not have to bare it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
I am in love with the outdoor school idea! Off to google

I am torn on the peeing thing. I don't think it's approprate to pee all over the place. I travel with a shovel for a reason
We are pretty excited about it too. I wish that the upper grades were included in it too, but I'll settle for the younger kids.
I think we'd be in a mess quickly if we went around digging holes to cover up our pee. Can you imagine that newsline? "Eco school group erodes shorelines and pock-mark fields while studying sustainable living..."
Old 04-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #20
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd need some sort of graduate degree to master using that thing An outdoor school would be the only thing that would make me stop HS, that sounds awesome!
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote