Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Curing Whining

I am at a loss with my youngest son. He is 1 1/2 and all he does is WHINE. Seriously - it starts first thing when he wakes and goes until bed. I have even heard him whine in his sleep Honestly - it is so annoying. I can handle loud toys, screaming, crying, tantrums, anything but constant whining.

He is dry, well fed, hydrated, napped, held, and all the things they tell you to check for. The biggest issue seems to be to get attention or what he wants. If any one comes near me, he whines. If his brother wants to watch or do something (we take turns choosing) he whines. I am at a loss of how to stop it, or at the least lessen it. It is driving all of us batty!

Advertisement

l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

Re: Curing Whining

wish i had a suggestion. i'll be watching this though. my 11 year old step daughter and 9 year old step son whine almost constantly.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
mommajenn13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish I had some advice too. My 4 year old whines about everything. We always say something about it, ie: you know you don't get our attention (or what you want) by whining. Talk normally. A lot of times if she starts whining we'll say 'Oh, you must be ready for a nap.' That one has started backfiring becuase now whenever she pitches a fit about something she'll say 'I'm tireeedddd...' like we're going to excuse the fit becuase she needs a nap. To which I usually reply 'Okay, nap time!' And carry her to her room kicking and screaming. Ughh.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
adamandme
Registered Users

I think it must be a phase they all go through, because I could have written this post. My son is 17 months old, and while he's eased up a bit, he whined for about 8 days straight. He's still whiney, but not ALL day every day.

I'm a SAHM, and I have no other kids... he gets my full attention except when I'm folding laundry or something.
adamandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
farmfresh
Registered Users
seller

this would be a million dollar answer, wouldnt it? ha! my son is 18 months and recently went thru a phase of fussing a lot. everything seemed to aggrivate him. even his toys would make him mad. turns out, he had a tooth coming in that i seen no signs of. but, my dd, who is almost 4, whines sometimes. it happens most often after she has been around her aunt who whines constantly (shes in her mid 20's, i might add). I tell her that i wont answer her questions or speak to her when she is whining. it works, but i have to be consistant about it. i know that really wont work for a smaller child though. i'll be keeping an eye on this for other suggestions.
farmfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I swear, it is crazy! Once he gets his way, he stops. I do not want that to be a habit. I thik it is compounded by the 2 1/2 year old who is on the Autism spectrum. He talks non-stop or cries...LOL!! It can be a sensory overload for us all in the house at times.

I will tell him no and just let him fit and whine, but he does not stop. I think that is what gets me is his stubbornness and persistance. He will fit for HOURS if I were to allow it.

My oldest was a whiner, but he stopped when I poked him gently in his cheek and told him use his big boy words. This does not work for Q. He gets more mad and then tries to hit or bite me.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

At least I am not alone! LOL!! I have seen teeth and we are treating that. He has always been like this though. I wonder if it is the "baby" syndrome, where he is the baby in the house.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Oh - he is SUPER loud, too. So once he is doing something that makes him happy, there is still no quiet...LOL!!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

We are in a whining phase right now - and my daughter is 3.5. It is ALL DAY LONG. I try so hard to ignore it, or I tell her "Try asking me in a normal voice", but it hasn't stopped yet. I really try not to give in to the whining until she talks in a normal voice first, hoping that by not rewarding the behavior maybe someday it will stop. I am like you - I can handle just about anything, but whining makes my skin crawl!

So if anyone has the magic solution to make it stop, I'd sure love to hear it!
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
TNEarthMama
Registered Users
Formerly: taranbabyjayden
seller

My Mood:

Wish I had advice.... LOL we have whiners here to... From sun up to sun down...
TNEarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote