Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
wild.whispers
Registered Users
seller

Vitamin D..what do you do?

So we had our one month appointment yesterday and my LOs Ped suggested that we start using Vitamin D drops. I have done some research but I have also heard that the drops tend to give babies acid reflux or heart burn. Do any of you ladies give them to your kiddos? If you do, what brand do you use? I heard that Carlsons Vitamin D drops are good but her Ped gave us a sample of the Similac ones to try. What are your thoughts?
We live in Colorado so its pretty sunny here...but lately we haven't gotten out much.

Advertisement

wild.whispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vitamin D..what do you do?

we get lots of sun even when we don't go outside, we open the curtains and spend time in the sunshine. A fully clothed child takes 2 hours to get the day's amount of vitamin D in the sun, but a child wearing just a diaper takes 4 MINUTES. So we do that as much as we can
Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

double post

Last edited by chello; 04-20-2011 at 10:54 AM.
chello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

With my first I didn't give drops and just figured the sun was enough. With my second, I changed my mind about that after doing more research and decided to supplement myself (5000 units per day) instead of baby so baby would get it through my milk. Now I have some of the Carlson drops and I would probably opt to just use those if I had a third. They are super easy, don't stain, you only need a tiny drop, and they aren't made by a formula company!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
wild.whispers
Registered Users
seller

4 minutes! I heard 10 to 20 minutes. Thanks for that! Do you know how to tell if they are getting enough vitamin d?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
wild.whispers
Registered Users
seller

So you like the carlson drops? Was baby getting enough vitamin d when you were just supplementing yoruself?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I didn't have my baby's blood levels tested, so I don't know for sure. My levels were checked before I started supplementing and they were high enough for just me, but not high enough for baby to get enough through my milk. After supplementing for a year, I was retested. The test was slightly different, but it didn't really look like my levels got as high as I expected from supplementing myself. That's why next time I'd probably use the Carlson drops instead.

Keep in mind, if you use the sun route, not to bathe LO too soon after the sun exposure. You need to give the vitamin D some time to absorb into the skin and you don't want to just wash it off. It takes up to 48 hours to absorb. I don't bathe my babies every day, but if you do you may want to do the bath before the sun exposure.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't with my other children because I thought we could get enough via sunlight. Well I just got my levels tested and I was very deficient. So I need to supplement. I also got some supplements for my children. I'm still figuring out what to do with baby. I have a call in to the pedi.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
wild.whispers
Registered Users
seller

i think im going to go with both...the carlson drops and supplementing myself...because i seriously doubt i am getting enough either!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
RedheadMom09
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEVmommy View Post
Keep in mind, if you use the sun route, not to bathe LO too soon after the sun exposure. You need to give the vitamin D some time to absorb into the skin and you don't want to just wash it off. It takes up to 48 hours to absorb. I don't bathe my babies every day, but if you do you may want to do the bath before the sun exposure.
Vitamin D is not something that is deposited on the skin by the sun's rays. It is produced BY the skin as a result of sun exposure. Vitamin D is produced in the lower two layers of skin in response to exposure to UVB rays. Washing a child's skin has no affect on production of Vitamin D.