Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vitamin D..what do you do?

I just take the supplement myself. In my opinion the best way for the baby to absorb the nutrients is from mommy when BFing.

Advertisement

cdwelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
somamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEVmommy View Post
Keep in mind, if you use the sun route, not to bathe LO too soon after the sun exposure. You need to give the vitamin D some time to absorb into the skin and you don't want to just wash it off. It takes up to 48 hours to absorb. I don't bathe my babies every day, but if you do you may want to do the bath before the sun exposure.
I think it's okay to rinse off with water only - it's the soap that washes it off.
and our 3 furbabies (2 dogs & a cat). #2 due in 11/14! Loving life in beautiful Los Angeles.
somamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think most babies get enough from bfing, and I know that most people don't actually get enough from the sun because we use sunscreen. I use Sunlight vitamins "Just D" drops. They only have Vit. D and corn oil, rather than flavorings and other junk. At first it was a battle to get her to take them, but now I can just say "Time for vitamin D" and she opens her mouth. It has also been great for us because she takes medications easily now. I had to give her tylenol the other day for a fever and it was really easy, since she is used to taking something out of a dropper.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the winter I use the Carlson D drops. Def check the label before you give anything to your LO, though. The Poly-vi-sol stuff has a lot of crap in it, Carlson D drops have D suspended in coconut oil.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
mama0609
Banned
seller

I don't supp the baby because I take a huge supp myself (10,000iu). I took this all through pregnancy too so I'd like to believe he gained good vit d levels then too lol. Now that the weather is warming up, we will spend lots of time outdoors. We don't use sunblock at all.

The reason people are deficient is because of the (over)use of sunblock. Sunscreen and sunblock inhibit the bodies ability to make Vit D.

We also have Carlson's vit D drops and I gave them to the kids during the winter when we barely went outside. The poly-vi-sol is CRAP imo. Def look into Carlson's!

Last edited by mama0609; 04-20-2011 at 07:12 PM.
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #16
Lanae
Registered Users
Formerly: Lanae~1st time mom
seller

Location: Hawaii-Oahu, DH-Deployment to Iraq, My home state-TN
My Mood:
Where do you get the carlson's
Lanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #17
wild.whispers
Registered Users
seller

yeah i wasnt sure about that! thanks for clearing it up!
wild.whispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #18
bohemianxchaos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So, at our 1mo appt the baby had 'slightly elevated biliruben levels'. We'd been trying to get as much sun as possible...hard to do in February in Ohio. So I started taking 2000I.u. of vit D a day, to supplement both me and baby. After 2 weeks, all jaundice was gone. I still take it, though. Habit at this point.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #19
sarahj
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD had jaundice really bad and even had to have her biliruben levels tested several times after the one month appt. We bought D Drops brand for kids (400IU in one drop) and love that WAY more than the original Enfamil brand that was a dropper. The D Drops is 400IU in ONE drop so when I change her diaper I just hold her chin with one finger (and often her mouth is open anyways) and hold the bottle upside-down for a sec and watch ONE drop come out. DONE! With the dropper from Enfamil you had to give the Vit D up to the line (which was still 400IU but just in a different form) and she'd often spit it out or it would drool out the side of her mouth etc and end up everywhere! So...I'd totally recommend any brand that is a single drop dose! As long as it's 400IU (International Units) you're good to go! Hope that helps!
Sarah
sarahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #20
LilRedRooster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just open the curtains and let her roll around in a sunbeam daily, and lately, since the weather has been so nice, I take a walk with her in the Boba, and leave the hood off, so her face, hands and legs get some sunshine. Plus her head, since she still doesn't have much hair..

I don't use sunscreen for her, because she got her dad's brown skin, and hasn't sunburned yet. I, on the other hand, have to use sunscreen, since I've never been able to spend more than about 15 minutes in direct sunlight without burning. Curse of having red hair.