Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
CamoMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Terrified (all of a sudden) of going to bed??

My 20-month-old has been in the room with her four sisters since she was a year old. We have never had *any* problems, other than a couple minutes of fussing when we put her in the crib ... but it was like that even when she was a teeny little thing and we co-slept. She detests sleep.

But now, well, now it's a whole new beast. About a week ago, she started clinging onto whomever was putting her in the crib like her life depended on it and screaming as if her arms were being ripped from her sockets ... FOR HALF AN HOUR. Every. Single. Time. Naps, bedtime, every time.

This is NEW. This is weird. This is NOT the norm. And in all honesty, I have NEVER had any of my other kids do this. Not even my oldest daughter who screamed with colic for four months straight. NOTHING like this.

Bringing her into our bed does nothing except signal playtime. Trying to make her lay down is like trying to put a tornado in a ziplock baggie. It doesn't work. I've tried rocking; I've tried sitting with her. I've tried putting her in the bed with one of her sisters. Nothing changes anything until she's removed from the crib and "safely" out of the bedroom or she just passes out from exhaustion.

She's not sick; she's not teething. I always change her right before I put her down. For a little while I thought her nighttime poofy cloth bum was bugging her, but she still screamed when I put a sposie on her. What on EARTH could this be all of a sudden? Maybe I need to call Ghost Hunters and have them check for creepies???

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Glassgal
Registered Users

Re: Terrified (all of a sudden) of going to bed??

I had the exact same problem with dd not long ago. She is 2 and would climb out of the crib. Scream and cry for an hour even if we were right there holding her and talking to her. It was like she knew bedtime/naptime was coming even if the lights were on and we were with her. Dd's thing, I think, was a security issue. We got a crib tent and she magically went back to being a great bed time girl. It's like she WANTS to be locked in her bed. We took one of the sides off the crib so she would not fall and hurt her self and tried to loose the crib tent and she begged for it back.
All I can offer is a hug and a hang in there because we just got lucky with solving this problem for ourselves.