Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
agalanto
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Toy OBSESSED.. ugh

My son has lost his mind.. or I have; I haven't decided yet. He is obsessed with toys and wants anything and everything ALL the time. I just caught him on the couch looking at a brochure type of thing saying "I want to buy that. I want to buy that. I want to buy that. I want to buy that." pointing to every on the page individually. Every commercial on tv "I want to buy that!" "Daddy wants to buy that for me." etc..

When I tell him no, he throws a tantrum-- here, at the house, in our living room. It's like, we're not even AT a store trying to avoid toys..

Granted, he has a lot of toys-- but most things we got for free or as hand-me-downs and stuff. But his dad has this terrible habit of ALWAYS buying him something.. whether it's a dollar toy or a $30 toy.. he always comes home with something. I want my son to be happy but I don't want him to EXPECT things like that and especially don't want him getting SO upset.. and don't want to hear about ALL the toys he wants to buy..

Please don't tell me I'm alone.. and how have others handled their children's obsessions?

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toy OBSESSED.. ugh

My 3 year old was like that for awhile. Can't say I know the cure for it, though. LOL! One day, I told DS1 that he had too many toys, and we needed to pick some out and donate them to kids who didn't have as many. We did it together, and I took him with me to the shelter to donate them - he had just turned 3 when we did this. It really helped with his toy obsession, and now his favorite thing to do is go through his toys and pick some out to donate!

We also implemented a strict "no random toy" rule - we stopped buying him toys whenever we went to the store, and stopped coming home with little surprises. I think that, combined with donating toys, has made him really appreciate what he already has. We've relaxed a bit on the rule, and buy him a little something every once in awhile - he doesn't expect it, and is truly grateful for it.

It could a combo of what we did, or it could just be that he matured a little. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The 6 yo I babysit is like this He pretty much ONLY talk about the things he's going to buy. Even when he gets something, he never plays with it, he's just ready for the next thing to buy.

Subbing for suggestions. DH just says "He's 6" but I would love to know what to say/do and if there was a way to avoid this in my own children.

I've talked to him about giving to the less fortunate, and he's told me "We don't have any poor people in my town" I've got to the point where I tell him that we need to talk about something else, because I don't want to talk about buying things. He just doesn't talk. He has nothing else he wants to talk about
He once told me he "felt sorry for me because we couldn't afford nice cars" 0_o I would die if my kid said that to someone.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 4 year old is like that exactly...He checks out every toy catalog and commercial and wants everything he sees. I actually tell him Yes, if I see it in the store I will get it for you. By the time we go to the store he forgets that he wanted "the horse farm" or "the rocket ship". It saves my sanity to just say sure next time we see it..
Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
LadyofReason
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We don't have that trouble, but something we do that may help is to tell them we will put it on a birthday or Christmas list. Then they aren't told no. Usually, they forget about it soon after. If not, you have a good list to get ideas from.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DS Forum
Old 04-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
frenchyloveslarry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyofReason View Post
We don't have that trouble, but something we do that may help is to tell them we will put it on a birthday or Christmas list. Then they aren't told no. Usually, they forget about it soon after. If not, you have a good list to get ideas from.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DS Forum
Old 04-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
agalanto
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.timms View Post
My 3 year old was like that for awhile. Can't say I know the cure for it, though. LOL! One day, I told DS1 that he had too many toys, and we needed to pick some out and donate them to kids who didn't have as many. We did it together, and I took him with me to the shelter to donate them - he had just turned 3 when we did this. It really helped with his toy obsession, and now his favorite thing to do is go through his toys and pick some out to donate!

We also implemented a strict "no random toy" rule - we stopped buying him toys whenever we went to the store, and stopped coming home with little surprises. I think that, combined with donating toys, has made him really appreciate what he already has. We've relaxed a bit on the rule, and buy him a little something every once in awhile - he doesn't expect it, and is truly grateful for it.

It could a combo of what we did, or it could just be that he matured a little. Good luck!

We've done the donation thing and now its "I want to buy that.. give my other toys to other boys and girls.. I want to buy that" lol But I love your other ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
The 6 yo I babysit is like this He pretty much ONLY talk about the things he's going to buy. Even when he gets something, he never plays with it, he's just ready for the next thing to buy.

Subbing for suggestions. DH just says "He's 6" but I would love to know what to say/do and if there was a way to avoid this in my own children.

I've talked to him about giving to the less fortunate, and he's told me "We don't have any poor people in my town" I've got to the point where I tell him that we need to talk about something else, because I don't want to talk about buying things. He just doesn't talk. He has nothing else he wants to talk about
He once told me he "felt sorry for me because we couldn't afford nice cars" 0_o I would die if my kid said that to someone.
Snob. We don't drive nice cars.. and like I said.. half of my son's toys came from "The Swap Shop" aka The town dump! literally. I would tell that little boy that one day having toys and nice things isn't going to make him happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
My 4 year old is like that exactly...He checks out every toy catalog and commercial and wants everything he sees. I actually tell him Yes, if I see it in the store I will get it for you. By the time we go to the store he forgets that he wanted "the horse farm" or "the rocket ship". It saves my sanity to just say sure next time we see it..
Great idea. I'll try this-- DS has the memory of an elephant but we'll see how it goes!

THANKS!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agalanto View Post
Snob. We don't drive nice cars.. and like I said.. half of my son's toys came from "The Swap Shop" aka The town dump! literally. I would tell that little boy that one day having toys and nice things isn't going to make him happy.
He's really into Harry Potter right now, and I'm trying to get him to make the connection of Harry not having toys and such and turning out to be the fortunate one. He just stares at me blankly, or like I didn't get it that "Harry didn't get ANY toys for Christmas" Reason 342 why we don't 'do' christmas.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
doodah
Registered Users
seller

This is my 3 year old exactly! I always tell her to add it to her Christmas list so I am acknowledging the comment but not promising anything. She's satisfied with that for now. My DH is the same way about toys though! She LOVES running errands with him and will always come home with something even if it is just candy by the register. He's such a softy but is finally scaling back now that he has to take two kids running errands. We have two adorable little girls and they are pros at turning on the charm so I can't be too hard on him
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

We have three boys and have dealt with this with all of them at one time or another, sometimes they've gone through it twice. In a world filled with stuff, its easy to get carried away, even for kids.

I dont know how to make it stop but I think with time and a little change, it passes. We've used the rule about no random toys/gifts (atleast for a while until they understand that they are to be appreciated). When birthdays and holidays roll around, each kid gets a shoe box to fill with toys to donate. W also tell them to ask Santa or remember it for their Christmas list. Those things have worked but it take a while. Bad habits are hard to break. hang in there, mama. It will pass and before you know it he'll be on to something else.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote