Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What does your toddler like to eat?

DS is 13mo old and he's finally interested in real food rather than purees!

I'm so excited because it opens up so many possibilities!

But I'm also a little confused about what to feed him now! Purees are easy! Meals? Whole new chapter!

So... would you like to share some meal ideas for beginning eaters or what a typical day's worth of food looks like in your house? I'd love to hear it!

Advertisement

Last edited by Stefibeth; 04-20-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Stefibeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
PrissyMaesMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: What does your toddler like to eat?

DD is 15 months and here's some of her favorites
Breakfast: Trader Joe's Organic Mango Passion Granola, yogurt, and a fruit, sometimes egg, oatmeal, toast with 100%fruit jelly
Snack: Raw Veggies or Fruit
Lunch: usually leftovers from dinner the night before
Snack: applesauce or raw veggies or fruit
Dinner: DD's favorites are those fresh pastas that you can buy in the refrigerated section (especially the mushroom flavor but she loves all of them), chicken breast, fish, ground turkey, cheese, veggie steamers, there's also a box of noodles, and I can't remember who makes them, but they have a full serving of veggies in them. They are also all different colors and she gets a big kick out of that! Sweet potatoes, bell peppers.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Really, I just shared whatever we were having (minus the allergy foods that they have an age recommendation on). I try not to get too into serving "kid" foods because it makes regular adult food seem yucky as they get older. My kids will eat anything we are having from roast to fish to whole veggies. They do like a few kid things like cheese sticks, kid sized yogurts or occasionally chicken nuggets but overall, they are much more adventurous than most of the kids I know. We also don't order kid foods from the restaurant menus. They share with us or split something that would be just like we are having. No mini pizzas and all that junk food that is served up to kids these days.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm loving these responses because part of the reason why I'm "struggling" per se is because I refuse to fall into feeding DS the "typical" kid foods! We don't eat processed foods, but when I ask around as to what friends are feeding their kids it's all Kraft mac and cheese, hot dogs, canned pasta meals, gogurt, etc. It drives me crazy! I mean, that's fine, those are their kids, but that's not what I want to do so... I struggle for ideas.

He eats a lot of what we eat, but I guess I'm struggling mostly with lunch and snacks. DH and I eat dinner leftovers for lunch... I guess I need to start portioning out some for DS too!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Jelliebean
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What, they're supposed to EAT??!! Can someone tell mine that?!!

The Purple Penguin on DS
Jelliebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelliebean View Post
What, they're supposed to EAT??!! Can someone tell mine that?!!

I feel ya! I'm hesitant to even talk about it on the interwebz as it may jinx the fact that he's actually eating regularly!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We only did purees for about a week before we ditched them altogether. Real food is way easier than purees IMO. For breakfast my DS loves granola, scrambled eggs, pancakes(always with fruit in them and I like to use a whole wheat of flax pancake mix), french toast (leave out the sugar and add some orange rind and a little squeeze of the juice), and/or smoothies(fresh and frozen fruit, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, plain yogurt=so good!). For lunch we often do a plate of things like raw veggies, cut fruit, cheese, crackers, toasted pita and hummus/baba ghanouj. Others times we'll do some Annie's mac and cheese and sometimes I'll add some broccoli or peas to it, or I'll have a raw veg on the side. For dinner my DS loves fresh ravioli type pastas like PP mentioned, and spaghetti is always a hit. I like to buy a basic tomato sauce and then add finely chopped baby spinach and pureed carrots to it.

Last edited by Qbit; 04-20-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Qbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine's older (2 this weekend!) but he might have a tooth/mouth issue, so he's a little 'behind' in eating.
Anyway

Apples, bananas, waffles, cereal bars (not a fan of this one, but, eh) yogurt, pastas (penne is "noodles" his fave) rice, (he loves sushi) cheese, raisins. Hum, there may be more. He's getting a little better about being able to eat a modified version of our dinners.
He can't eat store bought sandwich bread, meat, and leafy veggies. They get stuck in his mouth, and I have to get in there and dig them out.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
AHIAMOM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my ODD I was a single mom and she was my first so I made special meals just for her. Now at 13 she wont eat ANYTHING. With DS we did baby led weaning and just shared what we were eating from the beginning (7 months). He just turned 2 and is the best eater ever. He will eat everything and does so in such a grown up way. Once a child is old enough to eat meals I would strongly suggest that you feed them then the way you plan to feed them at 10 because you are teaching them what to expect now.
Earn money for your searches with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2my4kiddos
AHIAMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #10
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

My son eats whatever we eat (unless we're bad, then we make him something easy, but healthier, hehe) We never did kid foods with him besides snacks and yo baby/yo toddler yogurts. He HATES the toddler meals they have in stores (can't blame him!!), he won't touch them!

Some of his favorite foods: Oatmeal, bananas, apples, fruit bars (earth's best), sandwiches (PB&J, grilled cheese, lunch meats, etc...), quesidillas, goulash/spaghetti, Chicken breast, MEATLOAF (he's obsessed! LOL), Chicken noodle casserole, etc...

If you can't tell, he's not a big fan of veggies, but we sneak them in where we can (usually in pastas and casseroles, but I've been known to toss some greens in a smoothie too! LOL)
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote