Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Sort of a breastfeeding question but looking for lots of opinions

So here is something I have always wondered about. Do other moms really lose that much weight JUST from breastfeeding? I keep hearing celebrities say "oh I am back to a size 2 thanks to breastfeeding". I don't know ANYONE in real life that lost any significant weight that they attributed to breastfeeding. I actually lost more weight after I weaned and really had a harder time loosing weight while I was breastfeeding. I couldn't seem to balance the calories needed to keep my milk supply going while also loosing weight. I always ended up just waiting until after I weaned to really get serious about weight loss because I didn't want to put my supply in jeopardy. What was your experience? So don't count the 10 or 15 lbs that you lose right after the birth (well like the first week or so after) and don't count if you are super dedicated to working out after the baby is born (as in, back to jogging within a few weeks and such). If you are a regular mom with a regular activity level, do you think that breastfeeding played a major role in post baby weight loss? If you have any suggestions about balancing the needs for a milk supply while also getting back into shape, I would love to hear about it!

Advertisement

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sort of a breastfeeding question but looking for lots of opinions

I ended up having to exclusively pump for both my boys (never again, hopefully!), and I lost weight really quickly both times. I don't know if it's my metabolism or the fact that I was producing milk, though. With DS1, I gained 65 lbs and lost it all within 4 months postpartum. With DS2, I gained 38 lbs and lost it all (and then some) within 2-3 months.

I don't exercise regularly, other than chasing around the boys and cleaning the house. I never diet, and don't change my normal eating habits while pregnant/breastfeeding. With both boys, I had an insane milk supply though. As in, I literally produced 2-3 times their daily intake, even when trying to decrease my milk supply. I do think breastfeeding played a major role in my weight loss, and sometimes wonder if it's because I had such a large supply?

I have no idea... could be the milk production, could be my metabolism. I have no suggestions - other than to eat healthy and be somewhat active (I count playing tag as exercise ). Most women won't have a problem with milk supply as long as they're eating the right foods, and not overdoing it in the exercise dept.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have to say... I definitely attribute losing the weight I gained during pregnancy to breastfeeding with my DS. I didn't change my diet or try to cut back calories or even exercise after DS was born. I gained 48 lbs. during pregnancy and lost about 60 lbs. during the first 9 months to a year or so postpartum. The weight loss slowed down when I was not nursing as much (probably around 18 months or so - I weaned DS at 2 years) and eventually I gained back those 12 lbs. and was back at my pre-pregnancy weight before I got pregnant again. Boo. I hope I will have the same experience this time and maybe be able to keep those extra few pounds off after weaning.

ETA- Interestingly, as the PP said I was also an over-producer for a while, especially in the beginning. I lost about 30 lbs. or so within the first few months.

Last edited by justineybean; 04-20-2011 at 06:11 PM.
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
PrissyMaesMama
Registered Users
seller

I lost the initial weight and of course it continued to come off at a slow pace while I was nursing but it was never a huge drop in baby weight. In fact, I'd say friends of mine that FF seemed to lose baby weight quicker than me or the other BF mama's I know. I'm a personal trainer and I workout regularly, but I was committed to keeping up my supply for the first year. However, at 8months, it just wasn't happening any more. Since then the weight just fell off and now I'm smaller than I've ever been. I think in my situation, weaning brought on the weight loss, not the nursing.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
doodah
Registered Users
seller

well sheesh, I wish I had the same "problem" as you two! I had a major over supply issue with the first kiddo and had to wake up and pump at night just to get some relief (in addition to exclusively BFing). The second time, I was struggling more to keep milk coming in part because my second daughter had reflux and her eating was a constant struggling. Neither scenario resulted in much of an impact to my weight until I weaned them.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was unable to BF so I have nothing to add from personal experience, but I've heard mamas talk about both sides of it. Some say their body stubbornly held on to weight until they stopped BF'ing and then they were able to lose. Some say they attribute weight loss to BF'ing. Maybe it just effects everyone differently!

It must be really frustrating though, for mamas who can't seem to lose the weight while BF'ing to hear everyone talk about how it helps to lose weight!

Oh! Also, this makes me think, I saw... who was it... OH! Jessica Alba interviewed a while back and she was talking about how she lost the baby weight and she thinks a lot of it was due to BFing and was saying how many hours and hours a day she worked out with a trainer and was on a strict diet and was EBF'ing and it kind of made me a little because I felt like there was no way her body was able to produce much milk with the behaviors and diet she was talking about. But I could totally be wrong because I'm not really the person to judge this particular thing
Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
doodah
Registered Users
seller

yes that is what I am talking about stefibeth only its the more annoying ones that swear they did no excercising or special diets and attribute it exclusively to BFing. How is that possible? At least Jessica owned up to work out dedication.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

I gained weight
Old 04-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
yes that is what I am talking about stefibeth only its the more annoying ones that swear they did no excercising or special diets and attribute it exclusively to BFing. How is that possible? At least Jessica owned up to work out dedication.
Those people may lose pounds on the scale, but I always wonder what their body fat percentage is? I know plenty of skinny girls who have more body fat than the "heavier" girls I know.

I really think it all depends on the person, as to whether or not BFing helps with weight loss. I know I have a fast metabolism (and hyperthyroidism), so pair those with an insane milk supply... and it makes sense that I lose weight while BFing.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

No, I have never been one to shed pounds from breastfeeding...nope. Now, I have lost a good amount of weight from this pregnancy for a different reason, but it has NOTHING to do with BFing.