Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #21
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sort of a breastfeeding question but looking for lots of opinions

I lose a lot of weight from breast-feeding. A lot of it though is due to the fact that i can NOT eat while nursing, no way. It grossses me out. And since my kids tend to nurse often... I have a hard time getting enough food in me at all, and when I do, it's likely to be a bowl of cereal or something quick and not really all that healthy. After dd1, I got down to a size 2 at 2 months pp...I'm 5'10" and normally an 8. Now with dd3, I gained 17 pounds during pregnancy, and have lost 36. As soon as they night wean I gain about 10 pounds. And by the time they day wean I get pregnant again lol.

Advertisement

mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #22
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I gained 55lbs while pregnant and when dd turned one I had lost 60 - and was still losing until I weaned her. I was hungry all the time and I ate all the time, I just couldn't keep up for the 2 of us. I have started to gain since weaning so bf'ing was the cause of my weight loss.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #23
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

Nope. I'm one of the people whose body hangs on to every pound for dear life. I lose about 15 (I've gained 30 with the last two, and 40 with my first) initially, and then BAM. The scale doesn't budge, and if it does, it's up. And it's SO FRUSTRATING!

I got pregnant unexpectedly at 19, I am 23 now, 3 kids later and am 25 pounds heavier than I was at 19. I've been having a really hard time this time around not being able to lose the weight, that I've actually considered weaning my dd I'm not going to do it because I really want to make it a year (she's 8 months), but some days when I'm getting dressed I just want to cry.

SO jealous of you who can lose weight while breastfeeding. I wish i could.

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #24
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsfroberg View Post
Nope. I'm one of the people whose body hangs on to every pound for dear life. I lose about 15 (I've gained 30 with the last two, and 40 with my first) initially, and then BAM. The scale doesn't budge, and if it does, it's up. And it's SO FRUSTRATING!

I got pregnant unexpectedly at 19, I am 23 now, 3 kids later and am 25 pounds heavier than I was at 19. I've been having a really hard time this time around not being able to lose the weight, that I've actually considered weaning my dd I'm not going to do it because I really want to make it a year (she's 8 months), but some days when I'm getting dressed I just want to cry.

mama. I had days like that, where I just wanted to cry... I had lost the baby weight, but my body was definitely different than my old body. But I think that nursing mamas are among the most gorgeous women out there - it's amazing what our bodies are able to provide for our LOs, even if we feel yucky while doing it, LOL.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #25
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a lady with curves to begin with, and like PP said, my body holds on to weight for dear life. I gained 45 lbs while I was pregnant ... and like some weird magic, I lost 35 pounds within the first three months of his life. I truly attribute it to nursing -- at first nursing really caused me to lose my appetite too, and the pounds fell off. I had been holding on to the last 10 lbs pretty steadily, but I think I am very close to pre-pregnancy weight at seven months.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #26
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
If you are a regular mom with a regular activity level, do you think that breastfeeding played a major role in post baby weight loss?
NO! i have breastfed for around a year for each baby and it did not help me lose weight. i usually wait until about 4 months after baby is born to start working out regularly and that's when the real weight loss occurs.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #27
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes View Post
I gained weight
Me too! My body stores for a famine, and even nursing my 11.5 month old if I even try to cut calories one day my supply will dip in half the next day. I have to pump at work though! Its crazy!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #28
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmusic View Post
It isn't instant, but yes. You can't be eating like you did while pregnant, though, and I think a lot of people do.
If I don't eat more than when I was pregnant, I have NO milk! I can't eat that much pregnant. I only gained 20lbs with DD and 15 with DS, but when I'm nursing if I want milk I have to EAT!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #29
maeus
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrissyMaesMama View Post
I lost the initial weight and of course it continued to come off at a slow pace while I was nursing but it was never a huge drop in baby weight. In fact, I'd say friends of mine that FF seemed to lose baby weight quicker than me or the other BF mama's I know. I'm a personal trainer and I workout regularly, but I was committed to keeping up my supply for the first year. However, at 8months, it just wasn't happening any more. Since then the weight just fell off and now I'm smaller than I've ever been. I think in my situation, weaning brought on the weight loss, not the nursing.
Same for me. Well, minus being a personal trainer. And exercising regularly. I had moms telling me they dropped a lot of weight because they nursed exclusively. Um, that's what *I* was doing, too, but it wasn't working like that for ME! I've actually lost more weight since being preggo again. No vomiting morning sickness either.
maeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #30
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsfroberg View Post

I got pregnant unexpectedly at 18. I was not tiny or anything but I was slim and pretty average height. I worked as a large equipment mechanic (something I gave up to stay at home with the kids). I could not lose the weight. I fought for ever pound I lost after my oldest was born the breast feeding didn't help at all and then surprise I was pregnant again. 3 pregnancies and one loss later and I could not get rid of the weight and I was a good bit heavier than I had ever been. I am 29 now and my kids are all weaned and I just finally started losing weight and it is through no real work of my own. I was diagnosed last year with epilepsy and they put me on topamax which caused me to lose weight. I want to feel good about it but I know I haven't really earned it. My body is still flabby though and I don't like the way I look in the mirror.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote