Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
seacat
Registered Users
seller

I'm a bad parent...but last night was wonderful.

My son has never slept through the night. He's 14 months. We used the Pantley method to get him down to once a night and I can't do CIO. Once a night has been ok. I can deal with getting up once and he goes back to sleep. Fast forward to last night. I was really tired (newly pregnant and busy at work), I put him down at 9 p.m. and he woke up at 8 a.m. I woke up because I was sure something bad had happened in the middle of the night. Nope I went in and he was hanging out in his crib. I was super excited and then I spied it. Some how, some way one of his water bottles had made its way to his crib. He packs them around all day and I am guessing it was thrown in there when he was putting one of his animals to sleep. Isn't that like the cardinal rule of parenting no bottles in the crib.

Advertisement

seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: I'm a bad parent...but last night was wonderful.

Its better no, I'm not sure about water and I wouldn't start the habit (nor do we let our son roam all day with them) but one night isn't going to hurt anything. Its more an issue I think with milk and juice being in them all night.

A video camera if you don't have one really helps. We just got one and I wish we did it earlier. I don't want to miss my son climbing out of his crib.

Congrat's on success.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

no milk or juice bottles in bed as the sugar in them will rot the teeth but water is sugar free. my DS has a cup of water on bed because he was wakening up lots now he sleeps from 8:30 - 7:00 when he gets older i will stop giving it to him but for now i need all the sleep i can get DD eats twice during the night i was getting to tired getting up with 2 babies so for now he has water
Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
sstarfish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really don't think that a water bottle will hurt anything.... I doubt that he fell asleep w/ it in his mouth anyway, right? If he is just waking up at his normal "nighttime wakeup time" and drinking from his bottle instead of waking you up to nurse, etc., then I don't see any harm in it! Enjoy your sleep, mama!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
MissyMia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If a sippy cup of water kept my LO sleeping like that, I would be all for it. Others are right, it is the milk or juice that is the problem.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
MissyMia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I meant to add too, my dh was a kid who always had a cup of water with him when going to bed, and he still does. I never had anything to drink at night and don't bring anything into the room.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

My kids (4 and 2) have always had a sippy of water to bed with them. They've always woken up at night thirsty, and I got tired of getting up to get them water. Rarely do they drink the entire sippy at night, but we get more sleep now because of it. Sometimes I wake up thirsty, and I have a cup of water beside my bed. Why can't they?! He'll be fine mama!

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarfish View Post
I really don't think that a water bottle will hurt anything.... I doubt that he fell asleep w/ it in his mouth anyway, right? If he is just waking up at his normal "nighttime wakeup time" and drinking from his bottle instead of waking you up to nurse, etc., then I don't see any harm in it! Enjoy your sleep, mama!
No, he kind of tosses it aside when he gets sleep. Thank-you people for making me feel better about it! I started thinking about it and my husband and I always have water bottles with us all day and we each take a glass of water to bed with us at night, so what's the difference. I do not let him carry around milk, but he is like us and loves water so I always let him have a water bottle throughout the day.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
Dutchlish
Registered Users
Formerly: MWally29
seller

I don't see an issue with it at all.

My husband and I both sleep with a glass of water next to the bed because we wake up thirsty all the time. My two year old has a cup by his bed and the baby has a bottle of water. He takes a sip when he's thirsty and puts it down when he's done.

I could see it being an issue if it's juice or milk since it exposes the teeth to sugars all night long, but hey - it's just water!

Everyone here sleeps great!
M. - married to my best friend J. since 2006 ~ liberal, semi-crunchy, vegetarian, babywearing, CDing, Extended RFing, ER RN mama to my greatest loves B. (9/2008), C. (5/2010) and V. (9/2012) and A.(7/2014). Always missing the ones we didn't get to hold.
Dutchlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
shortdrawbryant
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dr said water at night is fine anything else is a nono. Us using water is what actually weaned my dd from night feedings cuz she was smart and figured out water wasnt the same as milk LOL