Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dumb Nurse

my hossy childbirth class the first time around = total waste of time!!

if you haven't read it yet - The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth is AWESOME.

so sorry you have to deal with such idiocy mama

Advertisement

sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I really wish people, especially those who work with pregnant women so much, would realize that being scolded is NOT helpful.

We're enrolled with the classes at the hospital (this is my first too) that just started this last Monday. I'm keeping an open mind and taking everything with a grain of salt that I can either use or throw away at my discretion but so far, I'm not overly impressed. We did some breathing using a focus point and she showed how lowering the lights and adding music can help with that but the first half of the class was spent talking about PAIN. When you're in labor you're in PAIN. Contractions are known also as birth PAINS. You're in PAIN for a minute or so while the contraction last and then you get a break from the PAIN before the PAIN starts again. PAIN PAIN PAIN. Now, I'm certainly not saying that there won't be any discomfort or pain involved at all since I can't know, but it seems like PAIN was the entire focus of the class. It might be there but making it the focus sounds absolutely unbearable!

I would stick to Ina May's book I'm re-reading my copy right now and I love it. If you haven't picked it up yet and you're wanting to breastfeed, I highly HIGHLY recommend The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I found more useful information in this book in the first 100 pages than I did in any other book/article/website/person COMBINED!

You will be FINE though! Labor is coming, whether you take the classes or not, and since you can't and don't want to fight it off, you may as well embrace it with open arms. You'll do GREAT though! Trust your body and listen to what it tells you. You don't need childbirth classes to listen to your body.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

TBH, I took a class with my first and it was a royal waste of time (and $120!!).
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #14
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salidwyn View Post
I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I really wish people, especially those who work with pregnant women so much, would realize that being scolded is NOT helpful.

We're enrolled with the classes at the hospital (this is my first too) that just started this last Monday. I'm keeping an open mind and taking everything with a grain of salt that I can either use or throw away at my discretion but so far, I'm not overly impressed. We did some breathing using a focus point and she showed how lowering the lights and adding music can help with that but the first half of the class was spent talking about PAIN. When you're in labor you're in PAIN. Contractions are known also as birth PAINS. You're in PAIN for a minute or so while the contraction last and then you get a break from the PAIN before the PAIN starts again. PAIN PAIN PAIN. Now, I'm certainly not saying that there won't be any discomfort or pain involved at all since I can't know, but it seems like PAIN was the entire focus of the class. It might be there but making it the focus sounds absolutely unbearable!

I would stick to Ina May's book I'm re-reading my copy right now and I love it. If you haven't picked it up yet and you're wanting to breastfeed, I highly HIGHLY recommend The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I found more useful information in this book in the first 100 pages than I did in any other book/article/website/person COMBINED!

You will be FINE though! Labor is coming, whether you take the classes or not, and since you can't and don't want to fight it off, you may as well embrace it with open arms. You'll do GREAT though! Trust your body and listen to what it tells you. You don't need childbirth classes to listen to your body.
That is exactly what I wanted to avoid. Being put into a mindset of how HORRIBLE childbirth is, and all the things that can go wrong. I'm not stupid, I can educate myself in a rational manner on those things. I have a college degree in English - I think I know how to read, digest and accomodate information!

I think it was you who recommended the Womanly Art of BFing to me previously and I got it and LOVED IT. It has become my bible. Especially since my mother who BF me and my brother has all kinds of opinions on the "correct" way to do it. I keep having to give her new information I've gotten from that book.
Wife to B. Mama to M (May 2011.) Expecting #2 (July 2014!)
CD, BF, BW, Waldorf, minimalist.
juliabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
Salidwyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think that was one of the ones I recommended when you asked before LOVE that book! My only regret was buying the Nook e-reader version since having a printed copy to flip through would probably be a lot easier at 3 am if issues come up!

And my "trying" to keep an open mind on the class is slipping away. We had the second one tonight (I think there's 3 left to go? ugh) and it was miserable. Baby has been WIDE AWAKE and ACTIVE since 9 this morning and spent the entire class in my ribs, kicking and wiggling. Of course I couldn't focus on most of what she was saying between DH making smartass remarks and baby kicking. Plus, we did whatever they call their few breathing "techniques" that are basically hyperventilating and it was a joke. Not only could I barely breathe NORMALLY, but add that in and I stopped because I felt like I was going to pass out. Plus it was MORE work and using MORE energy than just breathing normally! What the heck? How is that suppose to be helpful?

Seriously, I don't care what your nurse said, you aren't missing ANYTHING USEFUL at ALL! Stick with the books you've been reading and spend time trying some of the techniques they talk about to find out what works for you, be it relaxing, breathing, visualization, etc. Make sure you'll have support when you're in labor that can keep you calm and relaxed and just go with the flow of things and you'll be perfectly fine. Lamaze is not helpful in the slightest.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

The breathing techniques I always see taught are interesting to me. They don't seem relaxing or helpful? I mean, there's the old standby of "hee hee hee, hoooooo" which is just awkward. I suppose if people are really that dense it will keep them from holding their breath?

Having done yoga for years and many different types of breathing in accordance with different types of yoga, I feel like I know how to control my breath in relation with my body. I know how to breathe from my chest or my belly or my diaphragm. I know how to do visualization to achieve different results. I'll see how useful that knowledge is, but at this point it's second nature and something I don't have to think about - which will be helpful.

I'm sorry your class has been crap. Sounds like having your DH there to make jokes is fun though! I imagine if I had to sit through some of those classes, DH would be getting an earful of how wrong their info was on the drive home. I rant and rave anyways to him all the time without having a dumb class to spur me on!

I'd definitely get yourself of cheap copy of the breastfeeding book to have bedside! I know that's where mine will be. I got it on half.com for a buck or something like that. Definitely will be worth it! Love the tear out sheets in the back - thinking of ripping out the one that's for the "grandmas" to give to my mother.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
I Dream of Cloth
Registered Users
seller

Julia, I have never taken a hospital class but I heard they are not very helpful in the long run. I TOTALLY agree with you that good breastfeeding info is really essential! I say that after having 2 natural births but problems nursing both times. I guess she just wanted to make sure that you knew the class was available and helpful (in her opinion) but the nursing & vaccines is SO none of her business. Not to mention not helpful to do nothing but basically nitpick at every thing you say.
Ugh I'd be so inclined to say (in a smartass voice of COURSE): Hmmm! Maybe you can for REAL be helpful and come over to my house 2 weeks postpartum and clean and walk the dog while I take a shower and then a nap. Thaaaaaanks!

Mother to 4 girls : R (6yrs), H (4yrs), P (2yrs), V (born 3/29), and 2 little ones departed from this world.
I Dream of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #18
juliabell
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Dream of Cloth View Post
Julia, I have never taken a hospital class but I heard they are not very helpful in the long run. I TOTALLY agree with you that good breastfeeding info is really essential! I say that after having 2 natural births but problems nursing both times. I guess she just wanted to make sure that you knew the class was available and helpful (in her opinion) but the nursing & vaccines is SO none of her business. Not to mention not helpful to do nothing but basically nitpick at every thing you say.
Ugh I'd be so inclined to say (in a smartass voice of COURSE): Hmmm! Maybe you can for REAL be helpful and come over to my house 2 weeks postpartum and clean and walk the dog while I take a shower and then a nap. Thaaaaaanks!
Hey lady! Nice to see you here! DH asked if she had kids and I said I didn't think so. He was like "Oh you should have thrown that back in her face - I would have." He is tougher than I am - I was kind of in shock TBH.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #19
princessizziesmommy
Registered Users

I took two classes (one required by my insurance) when pregnant with my first DD and they did nothing to prepare me for labor.
princessizziesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote