Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
tooker2010
Registered Users

My Mood:
Getting my toddler to drink...

Hello! My 14 mo DD is now entirely on sippy cups, and I am having a really difficult time keeping her hydrated! She used to be a little super soaker when she was EBF then bottle-fed, and now she doesn't want to drink much and it seems like she hardly wets her diapers anymore.
She doesn't like juice or water, so I mostly give her milk, but even so, I'm lucky if I can get her to drink 2 nine ounce sippy cups a day! I don't want to resort to giving her sugary drinks to get her hydrated, but with as dry as the air is around here and the building summer heat, I'm really starting to worry about keeping her healthy (not to mention keeping milk fresh in the summer heat) Any suggestions?
Also, she doesn't use the traditional sippy cups. She uses sippy cups with straws.

Advertisement

tooker2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Getting my toddler to drink...

2x9oz of milk is great! I also have a non-water-drinking toddler (27 mos), so I'm interested to see the replies.

Mostly, I've been trying to give him wetter food, like diluting his cereal with more water or milk, or giving him "soup", e.g. warm water with a few peas in it -- he seems to like that.
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

2x9oz of milk is great! I also have a non-water-drinking toddler (27 mos), so I'm interested to see the replies.

Mostly, I've been trying to give him wetter food, like diluting his cereal with more water or milk, or giving him "soup", e.g. warm water with a few peas in it -- he seems to like that.
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You could try smoothies or homemade frozen popsicles made from smoothies Just use fruit or fruit & milk/water, and you can always add a couple of veggies too Just made one today and all it was was a banana, strawberries and frozen blueberries. Yum!
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
isabelsma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids are fantastic mooches, so if I want them to drink more water, I make sure that I always have a water bottle with me, even at home. If I want them to drink milk, I fill a cup with milk. Whatever I'm having, food or drink, they have to come get their share. Especially my toddler. I don't have a problem with keeping him hydrated, maybe the opposite problem, lol. But whatever I have with me, he has to have some. So he drinks a ton of water right now! Maybe something like that would work for you? I have a straw water bottle, and they always want to have some water from it... much more interesting than a sippy or regular cup.
isabelsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
MarchMama2x
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 4 year old HATES water, but will drink a 10 ounce sippy of watered down apple juice in a heartbeat. He gets 2 ounces of apple juice and 8 ounces of water. Do I wish it was straight water? You bet! But if this is how I can get him to stay hydrated, I'll do it.

My 13 month old still takes his milk in a bottle, but will drink water out of a straw sippy. He also prefers extremely watered down juice over plain water though. I'm really trying to limit the watered down juice for the baby so maybe he'll develop a taste for plain water and not be like his big brother in 3 years! :P
Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2x View Post
My 4 year old HATES water, but will drink a 10 ounce sippy of watered down apple juice in a heartbeat. He gets 2 ounces of apple juice and 8 ounces of water. Do I wish it was straight water? You bet! But if this is how I can get him to stay hydrated, I'll do it.

My 13 month old still takes his milk in a bottle, but will drink water out of a straw sippy. He also prefers extremely watered down juice over plain water though. I'm really trying to limit the watered down juice for the baby so maybe he'll develop a taste for plain water and not be like his big brother in 3 years! :P
Yeah, that. I had two kids that loved straws. And all 3 of mine typically didn't want plain water. They'll drink it now no problem, but for a long time I would fill their cups almost completely with water and then add a smidgen of something else. If they didn't see me put water in, but did see me put something else in (typically juice, but I will admit to tea on occasion) they would drink it.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
pcjs
Registered Users

We don't do a lot of water as we want the calories. We don't do any juices except prune and its rare (ick!). I am not sure if my son likes milk or not - he can't do whole milk with the reflux and I've tried 2% and he will not drink it for me (you can't switch till 2 but we figured to transition one cup a day now is fine) but he will sometimes for my husband. I am thinking it may be I don't drink it and he copies me with everything. We are on Walmart toddler formula during the day and we do a Gerber Sips at night (formula is really gassy). I prefer the plain Gerbers but they are hard to find so now I have been switching to the flavors - Vanilla or Strawberry. A bunch of places have them, including Target (where I got them today). I would not use it as a substitute for milk/formula/breastmilk but as a supplement. It was the most "healthy" of the drinks we could find that were acceptable to us.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd2 is terrible about drinking. She sips here and there but almost never drinks a whole sippy. What we do to help is have eat lots of liquidy fruits - watermelon, grapes, etc.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
mkrisel
Registered Users

Not much advice as we are almost in the same spot. Lo just upped her milk intake to about 15 oz, but virtually no water and a little juice. The only way she drinks water is from a real glass with meals. She can't figure out a sippy, so we are still using bottles . I am also worried about summer, so I would love to also gear ideas.
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote