Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How are school lunches where you live?

My son is in 2nd grade,and I always packed lunch in Kind. and 1st, but this year he wanted to bring his lunch. For the first half of the year, I would say there was a ton of variety and they had a pretty good hot lunch (turkey, mashed potatoes, peas, fruit) etc. However, they switched from using plastic trays to these flimsy disposable trays ( think something you might get a hot dog in at a ballgame). So, they can't really put a good lunch in these trays. Here is the types of things my son now gets

chef boyardee ravioli
chicken nuggets
bosco sticks (sort of like cheesy breadsticks as their main meal)
taco in a bag
popcorn chicken

I went through his menu and I counted some sort of fried chicken 9 times in weeks. That is just ridiculous imo. I checked the nutrition labels on the food and of course everything is very high calorie, especially the boscoe sticks. For two of them, it is 710 calories. No wonder we have obesity in the schools. For sides, they serve,
iceberg lettuce with ranch
applesauce,
strawberries in sugar

They no longer even have hot veggies (peas or anything) because everything is prepackaged in styrofoam. I visit my son at school for lunch and I see the kids just dumping all this trash and I am seriously disgusted. I could see using them maybe on fridays, but everyday is seriously wasteful and the fact that it limits what the kids can eat is just purely disgusting.

At home, I buy organic, not much packaged foods, but I can't believe they are ONLY serving prepackaged foods. Is it this bad everywhere now? Is it even worth saying anything? I am thinking of just telling my son that since the food has changed to all prepackaged foods and isn't much of a "hot" lunch, that I would start making his lunches. Suggestions? Or maybe we will just finish out the year and start packing only next year?

Advertisement

Last edited by Vivhop98; 04-26-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Vivhop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How are school lunches where you live?

thats just gross. you should pack his lunch

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

I teach an afterschool program in a 100% free and reduced lunch high school, their lunches are the most disgusting thing I've seen. I'll eat anything, and even I won't eat those lunches.
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post
I teach an afterschool program in a 100% free and reduced lunch high school, their lunches are the most disgusting thing I've seen. I'll eat anything, and even I won't eat those lunches.
See, that is the thing though. I am paying for his lunch and almost $3 for lunch, so I think they could do better. They used to be better, but now they are disgusting.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
cbreeding
Registered Users

I would just start packing a lunch, but maybe let him buy on Fridays.
cbreeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivhop98 View Post
My son is in 2nd grade,and I always packed lunch in Kind. and 1st, but this year he wanted to bring his lunch. For the first half of the year, I would say there was a ton of variety and they had a pretty good hot lunch (turkey, mashed potatoes, peas, fruit) etc. However, they switched from using plastic trays to these flimsy disposable trays ( think something you might get a hot dog in at a ballgame). So, they can't really put a good lunch in these trays. Here is the types of things my son now gets

chef boyardee ravioli
chicken nuggets
bosco sticks (sort of like cheesy breadsticks as their main meal)
taco in a bag
popcorn chicken

I went through his menu and I counted some sort of fried chicken 9 times in weeks. That is just ridiculous imo. I checked the nutrition labels on the food and of course everything is very high calorie, especially the boscoe sticks. For two of them, it is 710 calories. No wonder we have obesity in the schools. For sides, they serve,
iceberg lettuce with ranch
applesauce,
strawberries in sugar

They no longer even have hot veggies (peas or anything) because everything is prepackaged in styrofoam. I visit my son at school for lunch and I see the kids just dumping all this trash and I am seriously disgusted. I could see using them maybe on fridays, but everyday is seriously wasteful and the fact that it limits what the kids can eat is just purely disgusting.

At home, I buy organic, not much packaged foods, but I can't believe they are ONLY serving prepackaged foods. Is it this bad everywhere now? Is it even worth saying anything? I am thinking of just telling my son that since the food has changed to all prepackaged foods and isn't much of a "hot" lunch, that I would start making his lunches. Suggestions? Or maybe we will just finish out the year and start packing only next year?
That sounds like what they serve at our elementary school, I told Dd no she couldn't have it cause it's rubbish, she kept asking to have hot lunch. When the teacher asked her if she was going to have hot lunch she said "No my Mom says it's a load of rubbish so she packs mine" The teacher told me she had to bit her lip to keep from laughing. Good job I've known her for many years and she found it funny.
I'd rather pack a small sandwich and some fruits and veg in little pots, it all gets eaten and I know it isn't high in salt and high in HFCS.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #7
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
That sounds like what they serve at our elementary school, I told Dd no she couldn't have it cause it's rubbish, she kept asking to have hot lunch. When the teacher asked her if she was going to have hot lunch she said "No my Mom says it's a load of rubbish so she packs mine" The teacher told me she had to bit her lip to keep from laughing. Good job I've known her for many years and she found it funny.
I'd rather pack a small sandwich and some fruits and veg in little pots, it all gets eaten and I know it isn't high in salt and high in HFCS.
That is hillarious! My son knows all about HFCS and msg because we don't buy those things either. I can totally see my DS saying something like that too. Like I said, they were serving better foods until they went to the disposable trays. The biggest problem right now is that I paid for the rest of the year pretty much, and I don't think I could get any money back unless I complained that it isn't healthy, but still I think they would just pocket the $.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 AM   #8
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Unless things have changed in 10ish years, they're nasty. You had three choices everyday, as there were three lines: Pizza everyday, wilted brown floppy "salad" everyday, then the ones that rotated. Something like undercooked baked potato day, taco day (mmm, meat *product*), soy/hamburger Friday, kind of hard turkey fritter day, NotMcRib, meat loaf. This really nasty spaghetti also. The noodles were overcooked about 10 extra minutes and stirred with this sauce that was not enough for the spaghetti, and more brown than red. It was just gross to look at.

The potatoes and gravy were yummy though.

Many of the items in the Adam Sandler Lunchlady song.

So that is why I lived on a lunch of V8 Splash and Doritos for two years.

Last edited by Dory; 04-27-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:38 AM   #9
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

The food at my son's school in thailand is excellent. They have a strict policy on junk food and nutrition. Everything is served buffet syle. The kids can choose what they want and have as much as they want. There is a salad bar, sandwiches, fresh fruit and a variety of hot food. That said, I pack his lunch because he was really unhappy with the food. Not that it was bad but because it is different and you know how kids are with food that is different. Alot of asian food and british type western food. He was eating rice and carrots or broccoli every day and it just wasn't filling him up. He would be so hungry by the end of the day. He is much happier now with a packed lunch.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 AM   #10
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.shelbyed.k12.al.us/cnp/do...menu-Apr11.pdf

Whole wheat only, baked not fried, etc. Not elite, but not bottom feeder either.