Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Re: Strangers asking to hold baby?

If I get a good feeling about someone, I'll sometimes pass the baby off. If I don't, I just politely decline.

My great grandma is in her late 80's and doesn't get to see my daughter very often. It really tickles her to hold a baby, and she doesn't live around very much family.

If somebody came up to me in the grocery store and asked to hold the baby (this has never happened) I'd probably decline. However, I have had people ask to hold her when we were in a waiting room after we'd struck up a conversation, and I don't really see the harm in bringing so much happiness to a stranger.

Advertisement

Last edited by photomikey; 04-22-2011 at 01:20 PM.
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

No way! I hardly let family hold my babies! LOL

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
Ambystoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post
If somebody came up to me in the grocery store and asked to hold the baby (this has never happened) I'd probably decline. However, I have had people ask to hold her when we were in a waiting room after we'd struck up a conversation, and I don't really see the harm in bringing so much happiness to a stranger.
This happened to my husband once (but the lady wanted to kiss him) and he was bothered by it the next day. "Who thinks it's ok to kiss a strange baby?!" he kept saying.

That said, my kid hated everyone so if he would go to another person who didn't seem sick, I usually let it happen...including our favorite mexican restaurant where the waitresses would carry him around while I ate.

The weirdest thing I've had happen is that an old man came up to him and gave him the sign of the cross on his forehead once at Target. (That freaked me out-as we aren't religious) That same week, another older lady asked to pray over him. Maybe I seem hell-bound?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always keep my very young babies in a sling or in their carseat (unless they are nursing) when we are in public. Once they are older they won't let anyone they don't know hold them. I've never been asked though.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post
Hubby and I went out to breakfast with our toddler and 3 month old. An elderly lady came over and asked to hold the baby. I just pretended not to hear her and pulled him closer. I felt a bit mean but I don't know her. What do you do when people ask?
No. I don't let strangers hold my children, period. I once let an old lady at walmart (employee) get too comfy talking to my then 1 year old that she planted a kiss on his cheek before I could stop her. I didn't think in a million years a stranger would try to get so close to a child. I became the "mean" mom who doesn't let strangers get near my kids, especially baby age. A hello here and there is fine, but I watch a whole lot closer and let the interaction last for a very short moment. I keep strangers at a distance.

ETA.. I did let 1 stranger hold my oldest when he was 3 months old... only because we were stuck on a plane without DH for an hour at the gate.It was the sweet flight attendant who offered to walk him up and down the isle cause he was fussy. She stayed within about 15 feet of me the whole time.

Last edited by My Sweet Blessings; 04-22-2011 at 02:20 PM.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #16
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittee View Post
No way! I hardly let family hold my babies! LOL
this is me. I am greedy.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #17
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

Shortly after my daughter was born, we attended a picnic at my husband's work. One of his coworkers asked to smell my daughter's head! I let him, it was fine. He said he loved the way babies smell.

A totally unknown stranger asking to hold my 0-6m baby, though? There would have to be extenuating circumstances I think.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #18
Angel89411
Banned

Depends. If it is extended family (those we only see on holidays) I will find a way to politely decline. If it is a stranger, they usually get a weird look and a no. In today's world, I don't feel like I need an explanation. Especially not with my baby. I would NEVER think of asking to in any way touch a baby I randomly meet.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #19
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I say- NO!
Old 04-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #20
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

noooo. one day my neice (about 5mo) was snached out of my dh arms unexspedly. she just came up behind him & grab her. (he was holding her on his lap giving her a pony ride) & started speedwalking almost running away i ran after her grab her to stop her & got a deth grip on my neice & yeld LET GOOOO!!! cuz i refused too & when i did get my neice bk i didnt let her go ontill she was safely buckled in her carseat & the poliece were there.
eversince then when we are out all my lil ones are always in there carseats or in a caryer of somtype. during feedings we watch ppl like a halk cuz we dont trust aneybody we dont know. we change them is always in a family room never a shared public & the door is locked. now that the lil ones are older & can walk we always have one of those harnesses on them. im afaraid of that happinig again.

Last edited by moms5angels; 04-22-2011 at 03:42 PM.
moms5angels is offline   Reply With Quote