Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #41
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: Strangers asking to hold baby?

I had a woman when my son was about 7-8 months old at Old Navy try to take him out of my arms and I just declined saying he likes to flirt but he will not go to strangers. She said she was shopping for a niece/nephew and my son was full flirt but still...

We find in the Asian/Middle Eastern restaurants we go to that the staff is much more hands on/baby/toddler friendly and sneaks him extra food and are very hands on. Since they are places we've gone to for years, that doesn't bother me as well as a few other places, like one doctor's office - the wife of the doc is great and he squeal for her and she just comes running and he has her good. I don't mind people like that taking him to a point but I still prefer him in my line of vision.

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #42
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Woah, do people actually do this!? How innapropriate. I would be totally shocked if someone off the street that I didn't know asked to hold my baby.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #43
pcjs
Registered Users

They do it as it shocked me too. Now, I can't go out without people smiling, waving or doing something and sometimes touching (but a hand/foot and he's a toddler now and he's instigating it) but its a bit scary. If we were in a different world/society, I'd be ok with it but not in our culture. I can't turn my back for a second and someone is waving/smiling at my son but he just has a way about him that just seems to attract people. I thought people would start to ignore us the older he got, but its gotten worse vs. better.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #44
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my oldest was 1, I had her in a sling while shopping and a Greek lady in the checkout line spit on her for good luck

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #45
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'd say baby has bad stomach flu, allude to diarrhea, and act like you're trying to protect them from baby typhoid mary.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:27 AM   #46
pcjs
Registered Users

When my son is sleeping in the stroller, I now take a muslin swaddle blanket, put a knot at the top and cover him as its the only way I can get people to leave me alone (and I get some strange comments even then). Its nice as its lightweight and it just gives him some privacy.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #47
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambystoma

That said, my kid hated everyone so if he would go to another person who didn't seem sick, I usually let it happen...including our favorite mexican restaurant where the waitresses would carry him around while I ate.
I've never had a total stranger ask to hold either of mine as babies. However, I had a similar experience at the Mexican restaurant that I LOVE to dine at, and craved hardcore while pregnant. I'm talking I'd go there once a week later in my pregnancy. Sometimes in the middle of the day while DH was at work, so just me and my daughter, who was 12-15 months at the time. It's a big favorite here in town and the waiters love the customers and have mostly worked there for 10 to 15 years, so we are familiar. One time the waiter picked my daughter up out of her high chair when she lost interest in her food and took her to the table they were rolling silverware at. lol It was totally innocent and probably a cultural difference, so it didn't make me upset. But I couldn't really eat with her over there.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:43 AM   #48
jasminegrl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
I live in thailand and thai people love children. Their attitude about kids is so different than ours. My son gets alot of attention because he is a white child. He is used to it and it doesn't bother me. He knows to wai to be polite and it delights them when he does. I always talk to thai babies and touch them now. I love babies and we will not be having any more children. A couple of weeks ago I stopped to have lunch and ended up with a one year old on my lap sharing my food.

That said, it isn't the norm in the US and I probably wouldn't care for it. I would have no qualms about handing a baby over to a thai stranger but not to a westerner.
This is how it is in the area of japan we live in, we live 12 hours north of tokyo by car, it very rural farm land. They absolutely love little babies in general let alone a blonde hair blue eye white baby. We literally can't go anywhere off base without someone calling her cute or talking with her or something. Now that she is walking and talking its worse cuz she will act all flirty and smile and wave at everyone. I have pictures of strangers holding her while out sightseeing you can tell that she has made those peoples day by the looks on their faces.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:58 AM   #49
angelisagemini
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminegrl View Post
This is how it is in the area of japan we live in, we live 12 hours north of tokyo by car, it very rural farm land. They absolutely love little babies in general let alone a blonde hair blue eye white baby. We literally can't go anywhere off base without someone calling her cute or talking with her or something. Now that she is walking and talking its worse cuz she will act all flirty and smile and wave at everyone. I have pictures of strangers holding her while out sightseeing you can tell that she has made those peoples day by the looks on their faces.
Same here. I do believe the first new Japanese word we learned was kawaii. It's not like there's a shortage of Americans in Okinawa so you'd think they would lose some enthusiasm but they don't. It freaks me out when they want to take a picture.
angelisagemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #50
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
When my oldest was 1, I had her in a sling while shopping and a Greek lady in the checkout line spit on her for good luck

No one asks to hold DS, since he it too "wild". People usually away from us.

ETA: I used to work in a pediatric office, and moms would always say, "Oh here, can you take my baby for a minute?" And just pass their babies off to me, so that they could help their other child that was being seen. It always kind of shocked me that people were so nonchalant about that.

Last edited by *Peanut*; 04-24-2011 at 02:23 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote