Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #11
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

Re: how do you get your kids to sleep in?

exactly what time are they waking up? my ds (4) and dd (2) wake up between 7 and 7:30 and their bed time is 8:30. maybe the 4 year old is getting too much sleep to go to bed that early, I am not sure about the others, but if it is like it is around here my 4 yr old is so loud he usually wakes the 2 year old up

Advertisement

Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:08 AM   #12
momof4
Registered Users
seller

I have only one foolproof method: wait about a decade or so till they're teenagers!

Other than that, you can try, but a lot of times, you have to adjust your schedule rather than expect that theirs will change. You can try to teach 4+ year olds to be self-sufficient in the mornings, too, and to play quietly, or get their own (simple) breakfast, if you want.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:17 AM   #13
4boys4me
Registered Users

Well, my kids take naps and go to bed at 8pm everynight and they are up at 6am every morning! I can eliminate naps and still they are up bright and early... I can wait until 9pm to put them in bed and they are still up at 6 am in the morning.. no matter what I do or what time they go to bed they will always get up at 6 am bright and early.. They even have a very dark room too! I have blinds and dark blue curtains covering those.. I honestly have absolutly no clue!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #14
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Not sure what might work for you. You can try a lot of things. My girls stay up till ten most nights and get up at 9am. My littlest (20m) takes a short 45 min nap and my oldest 3.5 doesn't nap now at all. You can't expect more than 11-12 hours total sleep time from them so that may help you try and even it out. If nap time is long than of course they don't need more sleep through the night. Good luck.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #15
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

david has no naps since he is 2 so i cant help.
read elizabeth pantleys book though, they give great tips
he goes down at 8:30 til 7:30
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:03 AM   #16
stellar225
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmom
I'd recommend reading 'Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child' by Marc Weissbluth. He has alot of information on the biology of sleep and an age-by-age guide for how much sleep they should be getting and how to get them to do it. You ladies are right-the later you put them to bed the earlier they wake up. He suggests an earlier bedtime to get them to sleep longer. It works for our ds but it's soooo hard to get everything done before 7:30!
HTH
I was going to suggest the same thing! I'm in the middle of reading it right now. I knew the basic principles before thanks to a friend but now I'm looking for add'l info for my 4yo. It makes a huge difference if we get him in bed by 7:30 rather than his old bedtime of 8:30/9. He falls asleep faster and he's much happier.

Dr. Weissbluth also discourages the elimination of naps in the hope of getting more sleep. It goes back to the overtired kids are going to sleep less thing.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:38 AM   #17
Carrie
Registered Users

I didn't read all the posts but I was also going to suggest earlier bedtimes. According to the HSHHC Weissbluth book: bedtime should be 7-7:30 pm. The baby may need to go to bed even earlier. The 8 month old should take a morning and afternoon nap (if possible), and the 2 year old an afternoon nap. The four year old may not need a nap. They should all be up for the day between 6 and 7. I go "by the book" and my children (18 mo.) sleep 7pm-7am and 12:30/1pm-3/3:30 pm!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #18
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

I put my dd down between 8 and 9 pm. She sleeps until around 9 the next morning. The only way I could get her to do this was by making her room really dark by covering the windows up. This has really helped!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #19
raversangel
Banned

both of mine go to bed around 9-10 and they both wake up at 10 or so so i guess i lucked out...the 1yo still sleeps for 2 hrs in the afternoon, but the older one is still awake the whole day...i find if i feed them something high in protein or fatty (healthy fatty like avacado) right before they go to bed it makes for a much reastful sleep
raversangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #20
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I slept in umtil 7:30 am this weekend because my mom took the kiddies up north, pretty sad that I think 7;30 is sleeping in. My kids are 11 years and nearly 4 years and they are early to bed, early to rise children, regardless of what I do. If I keep them up late they still get up early (and are extra cranky), if I don't let my dd nap she is super cranky until bedtime and still gets up early. I have learned that waiting until nap time to shower is fine, I am still sane and it feels extra nice by then. I get up at 5:15ish and if I am lucky I sneak in before dh leaves so I have a moment otherwise I wait. The kids are up by 6:30 (day care child over at 6am) and my day is in full swing. The good thing isJerzie (day care child) naps from 12:30 -3:30, my dd naps from 1:00 - 3:30ish and ds is at school until 3:20 and then rides his bike home. I may have a crazy morning but I have a very peaceful afternoon. The kids are in bed at 8pm and 9pm.