Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
mommyof3co
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Would you say anything?

Apparently my kids school doesn't require the nurse to call before administering medicine to kids? Within reason...like Tylenol/Motrin. I just recently found this out and it really bothers me as we do not do medications unless necessary and what a lot of other people would think as necessary I do NOT...such as a very low grade fever, bumping the head while playing. As far as I know my kids have never been given any though. But last week my oldest (2nd grade/just turned 8) went to the nurse saying his tooth hurt...it's loose and I guess it was bothering him a bit, he refuses to pull them until they are falling out. So without calling or anything she put oragel or some sort of numbing medication, I don't know what brand or even if it was a children's or adult version. He said it numbed it for a few minutes and that was it...he was fine the rest of the day and hasn't complained since so this isn't like he had some horrible toothache.

I don't give them oragel type things anyway, but I really don't like that it was done without my permission but since it is something minor I don't know if it's worth saying anything to the school about. Or just telling my son to refuse to allow it to happen again? I really don't understand how they can give any medication without calling first, shouldn't that be up to the parent?? My DH thinks it's something so small it's not worth saying anything about, but IDK it really bothers me....I'm probably overreacting though, what do you think?

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you say anything?

I would talk to the school and tell them not to give your kids anything without your permission. The orajel may be small now but the tylenol could come next. I'd be irrate if anyone administered meds to my DD with telling me first..I don't even like my mom too!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Yes, I would say something. Your child, your rules.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
*LizziesLoops*
Registered Users
Formerly: angelami4
seller
seller

My Mood:

My SIL is a school nurse and they can't give ANYTHING to kids without signed parental consent forms (usually a coverall medication form) and then calling the parent for permission EVERY single time they give meds....literally all she can do is bandaids for cuts or ice for bumps...not even an antibiotic cream! Honestly I thought all schools were that way...but it may not be in the state regs like it is here. I'd probably check into it and just let the nurse and/or administration know that you don't want your children to receive meds unless they call you first. For it to be as small as a dab of oragel, I'd probably just let them know nicely....something along the lines of it's not a big deal this time but I'd really like someone to call for permission before meds are given from now on. Also wouldn't hurt to check and see what the regs are for your school system. I can't imagine them being allowed to do that though.
~Amy Eddie: Heather (1/7/2007), Mikayla (11/4/2009), an angel baby (3/29/11), and Michael Edward(3/22/12) We are now expecting baby #4 in January 2014!!!

*LizziesLoops* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
foxynursejo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, I would definatley say something.

I've donated 1,000 oz of mamas milk!

Babie's are weaned (32 months!), potty trained and I'm not BWing much anymore, but I still occasionally hang around here.
foxynursejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
mommyof3co
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I really thought it was like that, not giving anything, in all schools too...until this school. This school does seem to have different rules than what I thought most had, I guess maybe it varies on district and we are in a somewhat small town. For instance, lots of religion in the school...this is public school. Which it doesn't bother me because it's a religion we follow, it surprises me. It was actually the nurse herself that told me that for "normal medicines" like tylenol they don't even call and I was a bit shocked and didn't say anything at the time but it's NOT something I want them doing without calling me. I guess I'll give her a call tomorrow and make sure she knows that I want to be called before anything is given
Old 04-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
aylasmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would definitely call. I was raised to not take medication unless absolutely necessary and I remember the school had a form on file that they looked at any time I went to the nurse saying so.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Foggy Knits WAHM Page Foggy Knits Facebook
aylasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

At my kids' school, when we fill out the health history form at the very beginning of the school year, there is a waiver on it saying we give permission for the nurse to administer the proper dosage of children's ibuprofen/motrin based on weight to our kids as she determines is needed. You don't have to sign that part and they will call to ask your permission. I wonder if you may have inadvertently signed off on something like that? It doesn't seem right that they can give medication like that.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
CappyNnon
Registered Users

My Mood:

I probably wouldn't make a huge deal about the Oragel but I would tell them not to give your kids any meds at all without calling you. If it happens after that then definitely make a big deal, even if it's not a big deal, so that they get the point.
We had our 2 and we're through.
CappyNnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

I would be very upset if anyone gave my kid anything without my permission, so yes I would call!