Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How to explain circ/noncirc to 5 year old

THIS IS NOT A DEBATE....If you feel the urge to begin a debate leave now

My 5 yo nephew is circed, DS 9mo is not circed - they, will be bathing together at some point this summer and my sister and I have been talking about how to handle this when/if my nephew asks about them. Not that he will for sure, but we just want to be prepared.

So what do you say when the question of "why doesn't mine look like his" come up?

AGAIN...NO DEBATE PLEASE.

Advertisement

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: How to explain circ/noncirc to 5 year old

To me, at 5 they should be bathing alone with adult supervision, but that's just my opinion. And, in all reality, the 5 year old may not even notice or care so what is the worry with explaining. Just say every penis is different and leave it at that.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I doubt that the kids will notice if you don't point out a difference. I would probably pull the "Everyone is different" card. How do you explain to a 5 y/o that part of him was removed - I don't think he would understand whatever reasons were presented to him. Save that talk for when he is a little older.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Don't go out of your way to point it out.
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

I would just say everyone is different, and that there is no "right way" or "wrong way"- just like they might have different color hair or eyes.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #6
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldnt go out of my way to point it out but if it ever came up I would say everyone is different, just like some people are tall, some people have green eyes, people have different coloured skin ect. I dont think it really needs to be a big discussion
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

They probably won't even notice. If they do just say they are different. No more details needed at this age.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

don't take this the wrong way, but why don't you just explain it to them in your own words. i really just don't understand how posting this as a thread here could be that helpful, as each family has their own particular situation and beliefs.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When our then 7yr old son noticed our 4mo son wasn't circd during a diaper change, he asked why Jason's member looked like a worm instead of a mushroom
Kids!!!
I explained it in matter of fact terms(how it was done, not we "felt this" or "decided that") about his medical procedure vs his brothers(easy, no medical procedure).
All he asked after hearing all this was "Why did you cut me, that sounds awful!"

Um, that's a question I ask myself and have no good answer. But that's just me.

It took him 4 mos to realize he & his brother were different. I doubt the kids will even notice with such brief playdates. Depends on comfort level & how in depth you wanna get. I just thought since both kids were mine, they should understand that while yes, people have different noses & hair & eyes, privates are BORN the same but made to look different by a procedure. I guess I kind of think it's sorta lying to just cop out by using the "everybody's different" card to explain circ & intact. You don't have to get into the "why" or "good vs bad" or anything like that. Feelings & preferences add a whole other spin by themselves.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #10
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
When our then 7yr old son noticed our 4mo son wasn't circd during a diaper change, he asked why Jason's member looked like a worm instead of a mushroom
Kids!!!
I explained it in matter of fact terms(how it was done, not we "felt this" or "decided that") about his medical procedure vs his brothers(easy, no medical procedure).
All he asked after hearing all this was "Why did you cut me, that sounds awful!"

Um, that's a question I ask myself and have no good answer. But that's just me.

It took him 4 mos to realize he & his brother were different. I doubt the kids will even notice with such brief playdates. Depends on comfort level & how in depth you wanna get. I just thought since both kids were mine, they should understand that while yes, people have different noses & hair & eyes, privates are BORN the same but made to look different by a procedure. I guess I kind of think it's sorta lying to just cop out by using the "everybody's different" card to explain circ & intact. You don't have to get into the "why" or "good vs bad" or anything like that. Feelings & preferences add a whole other spin by themselves.
I think if they were siblings that would work- since the older boy isn't hers maybe she should refer him to his parents
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote