Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
Nhmommyof3
Registered Users

Help

I am new to all this and low on money for the next few weeks because my BF just started a new job. I was wondering what would be the easiest and best choice for me? I am doing this because my son is constantly sick and always has rashes and to hopefully save some money and I don't think it will hurt the inviromwnt any either. But my question is will AIO or covers and liners be easier? Which will last through the night?? Which will cost me less to start with? Also has anyone used these little lambs? Because I was thinking of getting some of them. I was also told i could just buy some training pants and liners at walmart and do that until I have some more money but I imagine that to be pretty tough?!

Thank you

Ann

Advertisement

Nhmommyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help

We have used LL's AIO's for nightime but we added a microfiber towel inside the tri-fold liner inside because our little guy is a super pee LOL

We have 2 and I am ready to let them go if you want to get them. PM me if you want to and we can work something out

AIO's are a bit pricey if you don't have much to spend. Covers and pre-folds are the cheapest, IMO.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
EmmalinesMom
Registered Users
seller

Covers and prefolds tend to be cheapest, but some people don't like pinning or using Snappi fasteners. Fitted diapers and covers would probably be next, then AIOs and Pocket Diapers (like Fuzzi Bunz, bumGenius, etc.)

I used prefolds and covers on both of my girls during the early months, and now use a combo of fitteds, pockets, and AIOs. Once you get your routine, they're all pretty easy!

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:32 AM   #4
tntmommy
Registered Users

Prefolds and covers are definately the cheapest, but if your ds is prone to rashes, you will want some kind of a poly liner in them to pull moisture away from his skin. The cheapest way to go for that is to buy some fleece remnants and cut them in an hourglass shape and lay them inside the PF. For overnight, You can do the same, but I usually add an extra cover to cut down on leaks.
tntmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
Nhmommyof3
Registered Users

How do you do the prefold and the covers and are the prefolds what you girls use as "doublers" at night or is that something different? I need some sort of book called cloth diapering for dummys!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:56 AM   #6
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

its really not that bad
my husband uses prefolds and now snappis too
I really prefer my prefolds over anything else. The easiest way would be to buy a cover you could laid them folded like a newspaper in, it would be a little cheaper to snappi them and use a pull on cover (just becuase the covers are a little cheaper)
We use a prefold overnight with birdseye flat ( i think the walmart kind) folded up and put in the wetzone. We layer some fleece next to his bum and use a wool cover. The wool is a little more but sometimes you have find something, even night worthy for under $10 (try righteous recycles ebay store) And for night you'd only need one or two cover max.
integrity diapers has cheap good quality flats, www.little-lions.com was running good specials on prefolds, esp. the premium size 15-30lbs and cheap snappis (which are easy to use) And the www.diaperjunction.com had a good deal on the infant size prefolds. However you can use the walmart ones too, you would just need to change him more often. I would try to spend a little more on covers since he is prone to rashes and get a little fleece or wool since his rump will stay cooler. The vinyl and pul covers will be the worst for keeping heat in. I feel like the dappi nylon pull on covers are okay. And at intergrity diaper they are $4.50 for 2.
If you use prefolds for night I would use a "doubler" all that means is something you fold a lay in the part where the baby wetters the most. To "double" the absorbancy is the idea. Also if you really want AIO's (which are easier because they are just like disposibles) walmart is also online selling them, kushies, which some people really like... but I don't think you could use them overnight. But they are very well priced for AIOs. I use Q'leros which some times go around $10 on ebay for outings.
Probably you are going to have to change him a lot anyway if he is prone to rashes... but maybe not... maybe his bum doesn't mind wettness, just the disposibles

side note to help w/ rashes a little sun time on his rump or using the blow dryer on low for a little while on most changes usually helps

Good Luck!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:59 AM   #7
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

p.s. I do think you could buy the training pants and use them.... just change them when they get damp on the outside.
I think www.borntolove.com has a link under frugal diapering about that.
and those would let the bum breathe too but I just wouldn't go overnight LOL
just make sure you have enough to absorb the stream of urine so it doesn't soak it the first time he pees
Old 06-07-2006, 09:12 AM   #8
Nhmommyof3
Registered Users

Another quetion? Why do they make the diapers so cute like the fuzzibums but then you have to put a cover over them it says???!!! Kinda ruins it...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:47 AM   #9
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

You don't put a cover over fuzzi bunz.

If you want the absolute easiest thing to do, it would be AIOs. However they don't hold up overnight, and they are more $$. I started out buying only AIOs, and a few pockets for nighttime wear, and now I am in the process of selling a lot of them off. I discovered prefolds/fitteds/covers and fell in love. Using prefolds has cut down on the frequency of my laundry because I can fit more into a wash (no extra inserts, liners, etc.) Not to mention they are a heck of a lot cheaper. Depending on the type of cover you buy, you can either pin/snappi or fold them into thirds and lay inside the cover. It is a lot easier than I had thought.

If I could do it over again, I'd buy a 18 prefolds, 6 fitteds, 6 pockets, and 6 covers.

Hope I helped! I know how confusing all of this is at the beginning.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote